19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 57.89%
  • No

8 42.11%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why buy an SUV ??

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp racer
    I would rather buy a minivan then a suv.
    reasons? I would much rather have an SUV. RWD/4WD, ride quality, off road capabilities, towing (although alot of van can tow heavy things). But mainly because of RWD, one of my biggest pet peaves is torque steer, and the fill of FWD while turing. RWD is so much more comfortable and smooth on steering.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Why on earth should you buy an SUV??Its expensive, polluting,not very good in terrain(every day, lots are being pulled out of the sand on the beach near my place) and i can go on for hours about it. Can someone tell me why to buy an SUV, exept the status of having one??
    If you've got a big family and need the room or you live out in the middle or nowhere. I have an SUV because I need it to lug a horsetrailer around when I show my horse. I doubt it is only SUVs polluting the environment, by-the-by.

Here's two good reasons:

SUV's: Now available with handling
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for all the fish

need

When you think of an suv you should a point of view. alot of people would buy it for its look (big size, ride hight), other for the name of the make.

Me personaly taking in mind i live near the deseart i would be looking for capabilitys. experiance with sand has shown that cars like the range rover, bmw x5, porsche cayenne are worth nothing in the sand especially sand dunes. their are 2 cars that have succeded taking in mind the price range, which is cheaper than the above cars, Nissan Patrol (4800), and the Toyota Landcrusier(V8,V6).

But if you want some thing that does the job and has taste plus luxury i would recomend the Mercedes G-class.

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    He didn't say the Suburban got the same fuel economy as a Civic, he said it had to meet the same emissions standards.
    You missed the point.
    Meeting emission standards should be part and parcel of protecting and saving our environment which includes fuel consumption.
    A noble intent, but like many Americans I feel strongly that the purpose of any government tax is strictly to raise the revenue .... I consider it blatant social engineering which is not the job of the government.
    Yep.
    THAT is AMERICAN democracy.
    Other democracies around the world consider it ( and are voted in for it ) to be part an parcel of being residents not owners of the planet
    The USA has been successful in the same way the British Empire was in the 16-18C. With infinet resources there IS no need for social equality.
    As finite resources run out, hen greed will reap revenge.
    We're drifting, but you should read Locke's treatise on government.
    The American forefathers used it as the basis for the nation.
    Shame that NOW only 10% of it is remembered
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    reasons? I would much rather have an SUV. RWD/4WD, ride quality, off road capabilities, towing (although alot of van can tow heavy things). But mainly because of RWD, one of my biggest pet peaves is torque steer, and the fill of FWD while turing. RWD is so much more comfortable and smooth on steering.
    Not driven an American 4WD - only a Japanese one in Ca - so I don't know what they're like.
    FWD does NOT have to include torque steer.
    It's a sign of a poor design missing the necessary ( and now intelligent ) centre-diff(s) to avoid those.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by MadiTex
    If you've got a big family and need the room or you live out in the middle or nowhere. I have an SUV because I need it to lug a horsetrailer around when I show my horse. I doubt it is only SUVs polluting the environment, by-the-by.
    No problem ( I've an Espace 4x4 for the horses too )
    You need an SUV and will clearly use it's capabilities.
    How many soccer-moms and rap-pimps tow horses ??????

they use them to tow hoes, not horses Matra !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Not driven an American 4WD - only a Japanese one in Ca - so I don't know what they're like.
    FWD does NOT have to include torque steer.
    It's a sign of a poor design missing the necessary ( and now intelligent ) centre-diff(s) to avoid those.
    I know what your saying but most FWD cars have torque steer, whether it be very minor, or alot. Every FWD car ive driven i could tell was FWD just by how it felt, and i hate that. Being pulled every where is very annoying to me, and you cant let go of the steering wheel at all. I wouldnt exaclty call it a bad design though, cars are made to sell, and if company X puts center-diffs on their FWD cars, but they dont sell anymore than when they did not have the diffs, then it is a waste to the company. You have to remember, companies arnt trying to make the perfect car, there trying to make the car that sells the best. So companies wont add something that doesnt help the car sell better.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    So companies wont add something that doesnt help the car sell better.
    I just don't understand why US customers would accept something which we don't.
    But I've never understood much about American 'culture'
    Low-riders and Bigfoot for example ( yep I know the former is not US-wide )

Ah the age old debate, and the very first one i wandered into.

If you go to the Hummer area of UCP, you'll see a guy called BlackSunshine arguing with Henk4 and Myself over the pointlessness of an SUV.

and regarding the definition, why is it called an SUV (SPORTS-utility vehicle) if you aren't being sporty with it?

Suburbans are named as thus because they can fill a whole suburb, and rightly so! if people want to buy them, let them, I know there more unsafe than other cars, and I know they don't get the same fuel economy, but who are we to tell them any different?

I hate to admit it but my family does own an SUV (A Jeep Cherokee) but is it more roomy than our BMW? if you took away the back, no, it's actually rather cramped. Is it Safer? NO, but this point could be refuted simply because the Jeep is a slightly older design, it might be the square-headlamp design, but the basic design was done about the same time as the E36 3-series. Do I feel safer in it, knowing theres a hell of a lot of metal between me and an oncoming car? no, it doesn't have an airbag, anywhere. It rolls like it's a freighter in a Force 5 and in the end, the metals not going to absorb the impact, it's gonna pass it on to my head, my chest, my legs. I'm gonna be glad when we get rid of it, to be quite honest.

But in the end this is my opinion, and judging by the Apparent sales success of things like the Cayenne (A SPORTS utility vehicle if their ever was one, it's optimised for the road, no matter what Porsche says of it's off-roading ability), i'm out of step with what the public wants. It's certainly a cult figure in U.S. culture now, like the 1959 Cadillac was, Excess and Glitzy.

For my Avatar today i took a special think and decided on the Cadillac Escalade ESV, based on the Suburban. Does this type of car move the market foward at all? No. Does it show any innovation whatsoever? No. will I be buying one anytime soon? No.

Their is no greater Luxury, as the saying goes, as Space. Something which SUV manufacturers are keen to stress, more space to stretch out, granted. More space for stuff, Granted. More space between you and the oncoming car? I'll give them that one as well, but I'll also point out that more often than not you'll end up on top of the oncoming car, unless they are driving a bigger SUV than you.

The G-Wagen is a car made over 25 years ago, thats being rehashed to look cool and trendy, by looking like an 80's Land Rover Defender. It's still pointless, fitting it with Road tyres does nothing for it's off road ability, but hey, who are we to stop them? it's freedom of choice at it's most virilant, and i for one am not going to stand in it's way, no matter how pointless it might seem.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I just don't understand why US customers would accept something which we don't.
    But I've never understood much about American 'culture'
    Low-riders and Bigfoot for example ( yep I know the former is not US-wide )
    Well for one half the population of the US is girls, and they cant tell a difference , and there are very few FWD cars that offer a LSD, or center differentials. So in that case think of it as most of us dont even know about it, so you cant want to buy something you dont know exists. Most of the people buying FWD cars arnt doing it for perfomance too, with the exception of the ricers around here. So they deal with the torque steer beacuse their economy car get good gas milage. And another thing to consider is that alot of people have only driven FWD cars, and dont know how RWD feels. They could think that all cars feel like their FWD car.
    BTW i kinda like bigfoot, 2000+hp NA V8 big trucks running over things...

I agree with Rainbows when he says, "who are we to tell them any different?", with the caveat that by "we" I mean via the government and regulations. I have no problem with the cultural backlash against SUV's that is currently underway, if the people of a society want to make something culturally unacceptable, by the gradual alteration of social mores (like what has happened with smoking), that is their right. I just don't feel the government should be involved. Then again I don't believe the government should be involved in most of the things it is currently involved in.

My father drives a 1997 Grand Cherokee, and it's the only SUV I've driven that I can say I liked. It's the first generation Grand Cherokee, which is not as large as the current model. It actually feels more like a high-riding car, it has a car-like driving position and uni-body construction. It also has a relatively efficient and fantastically durable 4.0 liter inline six, which is an updated version of an old AMC engine, and is one of the best engines ever built in the U.S. My parents live in Buffalo, NY, and the Jeep's AWD system and ample ground clearance have gotten my father home during more than one major blizzard when a lot of other people were stranded. So I feel he is justified in owning that vehicle. But a lot of people that I see commuting alone in Ford Expeditions have just bought into the trend, and I can't fathom spending the money to fuel such a behemoth just for the status.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

For safety : buy a renault/volvo (very safe cars)
    For the room : buy an MPV, like a opel Zafira, or a renault espace or just buy a (mini)van
    For the offroad capabilities : buy a hummer or a LM02 (one of the few pupose built offroad vehicles)
    For the looks: buy a sportscar
    For the waste of money: buy an SUV
    For the pollution : buy an SUV (normal (family)car is 'bout 1 litre on every 17 kilometers/ A SUV 1 litre on every 10 kilometers)
    For the death of pedestrians: buy an SUV (The high nose , and the massive weight really hurt!!!)
    For the horses: (buy a car with lots of torque, and when you have horses(=money), you can pay to let them be transported in a large trailer)

The town i live is pretty posh, and when you walk over the parking lot of the supermarket it looks kinda like this:

X5--HUMMER_TOYOTA-RANGE ROVEr (2X)
    ---------road---------------------------
    KIA sorento- Range rover-land rover-hiundai santa fe-some kind of old wreck
    ------------road------------------------
    X5-range rover-X3-Land rover-Toyota X-trail

It is exactly the same near the schools, when people that call themselves "mom" dump the kids on school.

Are you people retarded? I would've thought more open-mindedness from the UCP forums....then again, they could get away with calling this the "hate on American autos" forums.

There are people who need SUVs and people who don't. I don't think they should be as prevalent as they are. I weave my way through rich b.tches talking on their cellphones every day in traffic. They don't care, they've got a big car to protect them.

Drakkie, I'm not sure you have a clue. Have you ever had to pull a trailer? Have you ever seen anyone ever take a Lamborghini LM02 offroad? Are you nuts? If you're going offroad, the best vehicles are the Jeep CJ, the Ford Bronco, even the chevy blazer (particularly the older (k5?) model). These are cars that can handle being offroad. Take your 60 thousand dollar car and break an axle....then what? The same part costs thousands less in a real off-road car.

In addition, for the towing aspect, you're leaving out pickup trucks. Easily as large as an SUV (less the wagon) just as bad on everyother quality. These are perfect pullers though.

I hear you guys b.tch about monocoques versus steel frame/body again I'm going to retch. There are plenty of SUVs that are much further adapted to the road than a jeep from 85. My mother's GMC Envoy is one. It has a great ride, but it doesn't handle well. If you're doing 90 around corners in an SUV, you deserve to be wrapped around a tree. This car is great for her, and great for sludging through 8" of fresh powder. I'd love to see your Volvo, Renault, or MPV do that.

Waste of money? What the hell are you talking about? Where's your justification? Prove to me that your Volvo holds it's value better than a Blazer. Then prove it did better in crash tests. And fuel economy. Then let's talk about cargo capacity. Then let's discuss towing. Wait...you're Volvo can't do all that? Who cares? Somebody who needs to tow, haul, drive in snow, etc. needs all that.

Volvo's are safe because there's extra metal all around it. My friend drives one, and it's the biggest piece of sh.t there is. 18 mpg, RWD which sucks in snow, it has devalued immensely and replacement parts cost a fortune. And if you think this thing doesn't run rich and pollute more than the Envoy, then you're badly mistaken. Not to mention, I would rather be hit by the Envoy, as it is built with current crash testing in mind, rather than the sh.tty volvo that not going to "crumple" at all as it gently cuts my legs off.

Get over it people. SUVs have they're place. It's not on the track, it's not in the twisties, it's not on the dragstrip. It's off-road, in front of a trailer, driving through snow, and hauling lots of sh.t.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Thread Information