Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stillen R35 GTR --- Be Impressed

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i guess AP does. not for sale from the place i usually check for parts though.

as far as slotted vs drilled.. i havent ever heard anyone recommend drilled over slotted, unless you are looking for the show factor. even on the stoptech website they say that if you are going to track your car, then they do not recommend drilled.
    So what is the advantage supposed to be for drilled? Is it just looks?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    So what is the advantage supposed to be for drilled? Is it just looks?
    it will still cool off much faster than a smooth faced disc. anything that can improve the cooling will make them better than stock. their weaknesses are that they are more prone to warping and cracking than the slotted. and supposedly the slots will remove brake dust from the brake face a lot better than the holes will.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I'm sure throwing a turbo or two onto your G35.
    has that been established . he's posted in the past that he was wanting to "get a handel" on his camcorder . has he put pics up here of his (or any) G35 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    has that been established . he's posted in the past that he was wanting to "get a handel" on his camcorder . has he put pics up here of his (or any) G35 ?
    nope.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

600hp?
    Probably still using the factory turbos. Switzer is offering upgrades from 700hp to 800hp with an 850hp package coming up.

But then, Americans have become more horsepower crazy recently than even Japan was a decade ago.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

The drilled discs were initally made to vent out the out gassing of the older brake pad compound, the modern pad have no such problem. The added benefit of the holes were that they add more bite in the ways of adding more cutting edge to the disc against the pad, which can be done with slots anyway, without the risk of adding stress riser to the disc in the form of holes.

Not all cross hole discs are drilled though, Porsche cast their discs with holes, and most carbon ceramic discs are sintered that way, thus the holes are not drilled and induces stress riser....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    600hp?
    Probably still using the factory turbos. Switzer is offering upgrades from 700hp to 800hp with an 850hp package coming up.

But then, Americans have become more horsepower crazy recently than even Japan was a decade ago.
    This is impressive for any V-6. The after-market tuners are already asking a lot from the GTR. If the GTR holds up well, in time, with these sorts of modifications, then it would certainly raise the bar in terms of how affordable performance cars should be built. Much of the current work in the GTR is already occuring without any additional work being done to the engine. This may suggest that the GTR engine design was super fortified for its stock performance numbers, and thus, capable of taking a lot more. This would be so since its engine shares a lot with Nissans veritable RB26DETT engine, which coould take almost 2 - 3 times the amount of boost it was supposed to handle in stock form, without rebuilding the engine.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 09-10-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G35coupe
    This would be so since its engine shares a lot with Nissans veritable RB26DETT engine, which coould take almost 2 - 3 times the amount of boost it was supposed to handle in stock form, without rebuilding the engine.
    I think you meant venerable, anyway this kind of ability is not unusual for a highly developed engine specifically designed to take turbo boost.
    Nizpro has kits for the much more humble Ford straight six (used in some form since the 60's) that make up to 600hp on factory internals.

If you want to see amazing, check out the 997 Turbo Switzer pushed to around 1000hp on it's standard motor.

I'm not sure what you mean by the VR38 having a lot in common with RB26, apart from cylinder count, fuel type and induction method, the two are as different as engines can get.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

I think you meant venerable, anyway this kind of ability is not unusual for a highly developed engine specifically designed to take turbo boost.
    Nizpro has kits for the much more humble Ford straight six (used in some form since the 60's) that make up to 600hp on factory internals.

If you want to see amazing, check out the 997 Turbo Switzer pushed to around 1000hp on it's standard motor.

I'm not sure what you mean by the VR38 having a lot in common with RB26, apart from cylinder count, fuel type and induction method, the two are as different as engines can get.
    It seems like they used race fuel to achieve those numbers huge porsche numbers. I read in several magazine, when the GTR was released, that it shares some design concepts with the RB26DETT and the VQ engine.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    It seems like they used race fuel to achieve those numbers huge porsche numbers. I read in several magazine, when the GTR was released, that it shares some design concepts with the RB26DETT and the VQ engine.
    Boost does some amazing things for hp numbers. In the link I posted above they got a 5.9 cummins to put out 735 hp on the old No 2 diesel literally from a truck stop. 1000hp does not seem unreasonable for pump gas.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by G35
    It seems like they used race fuel to achieve those numbers huge porsche numbers.
    Then you've read something I haven't read.
    I read in several magazine, when the GTR was released, that it shares some design concepts with the RB26DETT and the VQ engine.
    Got any link? I can't think of any reason for the two to share anything specific.
    It might be tempting to try to link the totally new GTR to it's legendary namesake, but it sounds like marketing spin to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd
    5.9 cummins
    Heh! I read about that thing, almost makes petrol seem obsolete.
    he original Sidewinder truck is the Cummins diesel Dodge Dakota rocket truck that set the FIA world record for speed on the Bonneville Salt Flats at 217.306 mph in 2002. That's quite an amazing feat, but what's more amazing is that the truck was driven to the track in Utah from California while towing its own support trailer and averaging a staggering 22 miles per gallon. The 15:1 compression, 5.9L Cummins diesel puts out 735 hp and 1,300 lb-ft of torque, and has run the quarter-mile in 12.16 seconds. The truck was also radared at more than 222 mph on the Salt Flats. Imagine cruising this thing to work every day. It still has the stock radio and air conditioning on board.

Bumping current thread back to page 1.

I hope your IP can be banned Smith21

Then you've read something I haven't read.

Got any link? I can't think of any reason for the two to share anything specific.
    It might be tempting to try to link the totally new GTR to it's legendary namesake, but it sounds like marketing spin to me.

Heh! I read about that thing, almost makes petrol seem obsolete.
    I know, I'm a pretty big Banks fan. Technology (and diesel fuel standards in the US) has progressed a surprising amount since then, too. I'm hoping he will bring this one out of retirement or build a new one like he's been threatening to do just to see what can be done today.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I know, I'm a pretty big Banks fan. Technology (and diesel fuel standards in the US) has progressed a surprising amount since then, too. I'm hoping he will bring this one out of retirement or build a new one like he's been threatening to do just to see what can be done today.
    I've been getting interested in diesel motors for a while now, We get a mag here called Zoom and they had an interesting article recently about how you could basically just strap a small turbo to an old, clapped out diesel and improve it in almost way.
    Would make an interesting project anyhow and if it blows up...nothing of value has been lost.

Thread Information