Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A spin on the Awards Concept

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Haha, I did as well.
    Very smooth.

I think Rocke's ideas are pretty good as long as we have mods (presumably him) willing to run the voting.
    Usually we just split the job in two (me and him) since it's a lot of hard work, especially explaining the bloody rules.

I think our #1 task Rocke should be to make sure none of the awards are too complicated. Last year's awards weren't that much fun because of that.

Simplify and ameliorate the formula. ftw.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I saw it too...
    yeah, just wondering who was meant..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Look guys, I edited the post because I didn't want to get into the name calling game. Whoever thinks the hat fits can put it on. Plus, it doesn't matter. The simple fact of the matter is, the forums have been a lot on the off-topic side lately and that's what matters.

That is all.

Now get over it and back on topic please.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

I think the awards should be greatly simplified. There far too many categories and as a result people usually lose intetrest because the process gets very long, and I guess tiring for the people who run them.

I think I a great boost for the awards would be an annual feature on the main page. Altough if this was to be the case we should have very clear rules in order to make them serious.

And of course, props to the people who run them, fiset and rocke. Thank you.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    That is a good idea I must say. But I don't know anything about the F1 and the like.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    That is a good idea I must say. But I don't know anything about the F1 and the like.
    Perhaps nobody told you this yet, but it is not mandatory to respond to and/or participate in every thread.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I was planning on trimming the fat of the current awards system since, like you guys said, it has become a bit too overwhelming with silly awards. I'll deal with that in november, for now I just think the site could do with an automotive based ranking system for other gearheads to consider (added traffic/more members?)

Plus, I think it's a fun way to gauge what the forum's respective interests are in the vast field of racing and 'ultimate cars'. Then again, this doesn't have to be limited to the forum - wouldn't want to impose but having a 'vote of the week' or something somewhere on the main page for 'Favorite Racetrack' or something could work assuming W agrees. I'll mock up something in photoshop over the next couple of hours to give you guys a clearer picture on what I'm trying to go for

Just imagine in 2 years time, Le Sarthe will have a banner over the Dunlop Curves with the line, 'Voted best racetrack in the world by UCP'
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Just imagine in 2 years time, Le Sarthe will have a banner over the Dunlop Curves with the line, 'Voted best racetrack in the world by UCP'
    In the meantime the Dunlop Bridge could make a pretty sick banner on this website.

Especially since W is looking for new ones.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    How about no silly awards ever on UCP.
    Damn, I was hoping for Rookie of the Year this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Damn, I was hoping for Rookie of the Year this time around.
    I was thinking of getting rid of stuff like post/burn of the year, most obnoxious, favorite member/moderator, and so on which turn into a popularity contest or silliness

Things like ROTY and such can stay
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Perhaps nobody told you this yet, but it is not mandatory to respond to and/or participate in every thread.
    And theres nothing wrong with that.
    PINGAS!!!!

It'll make people start to hate you though. Remember, post count is only a number, no one really cares how many posts you have. Take it from me, I have over 15 thousand I think.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    It'll make people start to hate you though. Remember, post count is only a number, no one really cares how many posts you have. Take it from me, I have over 15 thousand I think.
    I guess. But, that'll change by next week with my job and all.
    PINGAS!!!!

>groan<

Do you mod guys ever feel as if you're hearding meth addicted cats through a blazing seafood store?

I had forgotten how inane much of the content was here. As suggested by baddabing, you have an awfully broad collection of participants. Some of us don't envy what moderators need to do to keep the thing going, and you have our empathy. As to the suggestion that the "economy" is to blame for thin content and lame thread whores; bullshit. I participate on several other marque-specific forums as well as a vintage car blog, and the content is focused BECAUSE of the nature of those boards. The opposite is true here... too much variety and no clear over-riding discipline encourages thread-drift and/or worse. Only UPC's own material and a handful of contributors (thanks, y'all!) provides clear content of superb quality, an online auto enthusiast's haven for concise and accurate information delivered by people that not only get it, but KNOW it. The open forums are little more than fanboy gabfests. Gaming? Latest purchase? WTF?!?

There's so much here that has merit, but is usually ignored. Snarky responses from all levels and insider references compound the juvenile nature that some threads devolve to. I don't care if you're 16 or 70, if your contribution has clarity and validity it should be treated fairly, and responded to in kind. If not, you shouldn't even be here. It's a friggin' website open to all... sort of like Kareoke, and you know how ugly that can get. Someone should always be able to wrench the mic from your hand. What was that comment about who has the power?
    Funny thing, comments like that: I agree, yet it really pissed me off.

So, back on topic: Awards? For what? Is it really a measure of one's accomplishment, or a sop?
    Kind of sad it's even a topic.

End rant. Over and out.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

There is. Please only post if you have something to contribute to the thread or have a real question to ask.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information