Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes 300 SLR (replica ?) Nürburgring

Mercedes 300 SLR (replica ?) Nürburgring

A very surprising spot during the Touristfahrt last week :
    Mercedes 300 SLR (replica ?)

Nordschleife 30.08.09

Shouldn't it be 722? Also, the windscreen looks funny.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

722 was the car S. Moss drove starting at 07:22

As this is 723, an educated guess would be that is (or a replica of) a car that started at 07:23. As I am not a Merc expert one of them will need to chime in as to if this was from the same year, or a different year.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

722 has seen its last public outing a couple of years ago, It has been put to rest in the Benz Museum after a very active "post-racing" career.
    This must be a replica, or a sister car, Mercedes owns all of the ones produced, bare one which is in the Schlumpf museum. But when Mercedes brings out another one for a public event it is mostly 696, the Fangio car from the Mille Miglia.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

723 in 1955 Mille Miglia was Eugenio Castellotti in Ferrari. Wasn't Fangio's car 658, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    723 in 1955 Mille Miglia was Eugenio Castellotti in Ferrari. Wasn't Fangio's car 658, by the way?
    correct, I was quoting by head...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    This one is a replica, car is well known around the Ring, because the owner tried hard to get it on the track. Don't exactly know what was the problem, might have been to loud or something like that.

As far as I know (and this might be incorrect) it is based on an R107 Merc SL.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

It's a replica built upon a genuine 300SL roadster chassis, and was for sale last year at 600,000 Euro or thereabouts.
    Kind of a shame a real SL was cut up for the purpose.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    It's a replica built upon a genuine 300SL roadster chassis, and was for sale last year at 600,000 Euro or thereabouts.
    and still has the inline six, instead of the inline eight.

Quote Originally Posted by netburner View Post
    This one is a replica, car is well known around the Ring, because the owner tried hard to get it on the track. Don't exactly know what was the problem, might have been to loud or something like that.

As far as I know (and this might be incorrect) it is based on an R107 Merc SL.
    Is there such a thing as too loud on the Nurburgring? I mean, there's plenty of race cars out there...

But who knows...

Well I don't really mind that as much as some of the choppers out there who like hot rods. I mean, they sometimes take original shiny cars and cut them up to be used as hot rods. That's a shame. But here, it's another car Mercedes made, so it's not as bad. It would be nice though if they had a junkyard find and just spruced it up to be like this. That would be the perfect way around it, since it would have been junked anyway.

Thanks to everybody for all the info
    It was not loud at all but there was a weird noise like something was hanging loose ? a friend told me it were some sort of valves in the exhaust ?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Is there such a thing as too loud on the Nurburgring? I mean, there's plenty of race cars out there..
    For tourist days there is a noise limit at the Ring of 95db(A),
    Seems to be a bit pot luck when and who they test
    And ys there CAN be too loud .... when i;ve a hangover and sleeping in in the apt

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    and still has the inline six, instead of the inline eight.
    I would think reproducing the desmo-valved straight eight could easily cost half the asking price of this car. Ambitious!
    But here, it's another car Mercedes made, so it's not as bad. It would be nice though if they had a junkyard find and just spruced it up to be like this. That would be the perfect way around it, since it would have been junked anyway.
    Well, if they started with a wreck I could get behind that... but we don't know. Since roadsters were valued substantially less than gullwings until just recently, it's just as likely this was something some wealthy German had done on a decent donor car.
    That would be a shame. I mean, how many basket-case 300SL's could there be?

Regardless, it isn't a bad copy (although the windscreen fails) and at least it's metal, not plastic. Wonder if there's anyone with a basket-case gullwing and too much money considering replicating Ulenhaut's SLR Coupe?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    For tourist days there is a noise limit at the Ring of 95db(A),
    Seems to be a bit pot luck when and who they test
    And ys there CAN be too loud .... when i;ve a hangover and sleeping in in the apt
    Well yeah, I didn't know that they limited it when visitors are allowed. Since test cars go there all the time, I'm sure mufflers accidentally drop off sometimes anyway.

Not to be nitpicking, but do the officials really run around with decibel meters checking each car?

Good info to know- next time I go there I know not to show up in a random F1 car.

I would think reproducing the desmo-valved straight eight could easily cost half the asking price of this car. Ambitious!

Well, if they started with a wreck I could get behind that... but we don't know. Since roadsters were valued substantially less than gullwings until just recently, it's just as likely this was something some wealthy German had done on a decent donor car.
    That would be a shame. I mean, how many basket-case 300SL's could there be?

Regardless, it isn't a bad copy (although the windscreen fails) and at least it's metal, not plastic. Wonder if there's anyone with a basket-case gullwing and too much money considering replicating Ulenhaut's SLR Coupe?
    Yeah, I mean, at the very least it's nicely done. It's not exactly a waste of a car. But the car is only original once, so I do understand where you're coming from.

And with enough money, (and perhaps bad taste ), anything is possible.

And with enough money, (and perhaps bad taste ), anything is possible.
    testimony of that is the significant number of Ferrari 250 Coupes, 250 GTEs and 330GTs being converted into replica GTOs, Testa Rossas and Californias, whereby only in the latter case a shortage of the wheelbase was not a first requirement.

Thread Information