Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaren MP4-12C

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    (And Eric, XP5 was there as well, you would have loved that).
    Yes - the other half of your team informed me and I'm once again sorry to have missed out. I should really hang out with you gentlemen more often.

Can't wait for the report and all your McLaren pics.

>8^)
    ER

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    That's not what you said... where's the Buick???

And the 458 wheel looks like a something you'd use to play a videogame.

In typical "Ferrari whore-out-the-marque" fashion, they even license something similar for doing just that.

>8^)
    ER
    In other literal news....there's not really a man in the moon, no money tree, monkeys have never flown out of anyone's butt and no tempest in a teapot... ad nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    Just what do you think this panel in the 12C's center console does?

>8^)
    ER
    ....Now I understand why there's a jackass in my head. I stand corrected :/

Breaking News: McLaren tweaks MP4-12C
    Last minute tweaks aim to make customer-ready versions of the MP4-12C more emotional

"It appears that McLaren has reacted to input from prospective customers and the press, following initial test drives over the last few months, that the MP4-12C is undoubtedly brilliant, but lacking in emotion.A raft of changes have been introduced at the last minute, before first deliveries begin in the next two weeks. Top of the list is a new induction kit for the exhaust, designed to channel more sound into the cabin - directly addressing criticism of the McLaren's muted note next to the more vocal Ferrari 458 Italia. It will be a standard addition to all future production cars.

Also added is a lighter feel to the wheel-mounted paddles. The up and down shifters had received flak for their unnecessarily heavy mechanical feel. Finally, some carefully chosen modifications to the steering system are said to result in additional feel."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz1SZkINoOx

So, basically you are getting more fake everything.

Excellent.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

How about the 'can we turn off the traction control completely' question?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    How about the 'can we turn off the traction control completely' question?
    Or can we have a big "OFF Everything" button on the dash...
    Visca Catalunya!

That might turn off your brain and make you start trying to pull off Hamiltonesque overtake attempts. Also, as a Spaniard - er... Iberian - you should be worried about being squeezed out of your McLaren for some British tourist, Ferrer.

As an exercise in cynicism this is hilarious, but I feel that "Add 'soul' and complicate" won't be quite as effective as Chapman's maxim.

From Evo:

"McLaren has responded to criticism of the newly launched MP4-12C by rushing through a package of revisions for the newly-launched supercar.

What’s even more impressive is that it took the company just eight days to create the modified version of the car – which evo’s Harry Metcalfe was first to drive.

When the MP4-12C lost out to the Ferrari 458 in our grouptest (evo issue 159) Harry sent a personal message to Anthony Sheriff, McLaren’s MD, outlining some of improvements he thought could be made to the car. These included changing the weighting of the gearchange rocker mechanism, tweaking the steering and improving the sound of the car.

Much to Harry’s surprise, just eight days after sending the email he was invited to McLaren HQ in Woking to sample a revised version of the car incorporating the changes that he had suggested – which McLaren is planning to incorporate into future production versions. Harry’s verdict: ‘it’s vastly better.’

‘In F1 there’s no time to mull things over,’ said Anthony Sheriff, ‘you look at a situation, you make a decision and you get the solution on the car for the next race. In the car division we reflected on the comments made, looked at alternative solutions and had them on cars within a day or two and now they’ll be going into production. At McLaren we have the mentality to react to things very quickly.’"

I'm sorry, but this whole "last minute journo-suggested changes" don't feel McLarenish at all... rushed up and last minuteish you know...
    Visca Catalunya!

Most liekly they had all the variants already designed, deployed and tested but went for the package they put together for launch. So enabling them to make "fast" changes seemingly in miraculous times
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

at least they try to improve it, not just ignore it.

^^^ Yes at least they tried to improve it, but it's to late. The MP4-12C needs more than small changes, the MP4-12C is a amazing car, it's great on a track but it's a bit dull, it's not borring but not that exciting compaired to other cars like the Ferrari 458.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I would really take all the comments on magazines with a grain of salt....when they talk about feel or emotion or whatever, they are picking bones from an egg.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I would really take all the comments on magazines with a grain of salt....when they talk about feel or emotion or whatever, they are picking bones from an egg.
    Yes, if it was only one magazine...but there was a consensus building between several tests/comparisons.

The other side of the coin is the McLaren is prolly more reliable than a 458 so trade offs come many ways. Maybe that's why Ferrari have introduced a 7 year free warranty....now that McLaren is a mass produced car and a direct competitor.

I'm not saying McLaren is right or wrong for changing the car but the result seems to be a positive message in car world.

Thread Information