Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Just picked this one up last night, and I'm quite enjoying it so far. I've been waiting for a good visceral flight game for the home consoles for a while.......Ace Combat just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I love the feeling of swooping down on an unsuspecting 109....letting loose a 2 or 3 second burst of gunfire.....and screaming past the flaming wreckage at such close range that oil from the target's fragged engined splatters across my canopy. Anyone else picked this one up yet?

I haven't tried to go online yet, but I've heard the online community hasn't really picked up any steam yet. I'm just looking for some prospective wingmen/adversaries to fly with/against.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Am thinking of getting it, but I played the x360 demo and it felt a little drab. Is the full version more exciting? Does it make flying fun again the same way McRae Dirt 2 makes rally racing fun again?

Depends on your preference I guess. I'm a big flyboy at heart, so I like a good, immersive flight game.......and this one delivers. The demo gives you an idea.....but it lacks the punch that comes from flying all kinds of different aircraft, IMO. Plus the challenge presented in the demo was very subdued compared to some of the missions in the actual game......especially if you play on Realistic or Simulator difficulty. And the fighter on fighter combat is the most satisfying that I've ever experienced on a home console game.

I also like that it has a training mode that allows you to set up your own dogfight skirmishes. I find it quite exciting....especially compared to all the relatively dull WWII flight games that have come onto the scene in recent years. If you're not so much into the flight game genre, this game probably won't change your mind.

EDIT: Decided to post this for those who aren't familiar with the game:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3SpB16qnK4"]YouTube - IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (Game Trailer)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8OzTbMZH8"]YouTube - IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Multiplayer Trailer (HD)[/ame]
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 09-19-2009 at 12:32 PM.

I played the demo and thought it was pretty good. Very hard on the realistic difficulty's though. I'll probably rent it.
    UCP FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

getting it for PC i think. gotta play it with a proper joystick.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Any idea how it compares to Heroes of Europe? (which is out tomorrow so I don't expect your answer soon); but maybe you're familiar with which is the better/funner franchise?

Ace Combat doesn't do it for you? I loved it on PSP, but unfortunately the newest title never came to PS3 so I couldn't get it.
    The way you described it sounds great, but WWII plane games put me off in the same way WWII shooters do - why play with old toys that have been replicated a-thousand times before, when you could have brand new, cutting edge, jet powered weaponry? Needless to say I'll download the demo, I didn't know there was one.
    HAWX was disappointing.
    All about the t-tops

^ because modern air combat is inherently boring? most of it is beyond visual range, but games remedy this by making dogfights occur at 500 metres like it's WW2 anyway... if i'm going to be dogfighting at that range, at least let me do it with aircraft where moar machine guns was accepted practice back in the day lul
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

^ That's a very good point. I still think modern planes are a lot cooler though. :P
    All about the t-tops

The speed is addictive - HAWX was entertaining for the multiplayer co-op.

Unlike cars I looove the classics from the war years.. The history and difficulty of the fights.. when pilots were absolute beasts with balls of steel..
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

^ i'll link you to that WW1 ace who would only use 3-5 bullets for each kill. can't remember his name atm.

I've also just picked-up this game and It's awesome so far. I'm having a quick play through on Arcade difficulty before ramping it up, but I've become stuck on the third mission ("Fox Hunt") - I can't find my objective despite flying around the whole map for 2 hours!

After bombing the German destroyers in the English Channel (at the start of the Battle of Britain), the objective becomes "Destroy some German fighters", but every one that I've seen so far (whilst bombing the ships) has already been shot down either by me or other RAF pilots in my flight. I've flown all the way across the Channel and still can't find any tangoes!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    Ace Combat doesn't do it for you?
    No, I loved Ace Combat. Played the ever-lovin crap out of that game. That was my point.........I was tired of it and ready to play something new. And I'll echo clutch's sentiments: there's something so much more harrowing and visceral about dogfighting in those old planes. Modern jet combat games generally don't even make me break a sweat...while I find myself regularly celebrating every kill I pull out of my ass on IL-2.

More work........more appreciation. That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    No, I loved Ace Combat. Played the ever-lovin crap out of that game. That was my point.........I was tired of it and ready to play something new. And I'll echo clutch's sentiments: there's something so much more harrowing and visceral about dogfighting in those old planes. Modern jet combat games generally don't even make me break a sweat...while I find myself regularly celebrating every kill I pull out of my ass on IL-2.

More work........more appreciation. That kind of thing.
    agreed, HAWX was fun for awhile but getting a kill is nothing when you've got missiles that simultaneously lock on to four separate aircraft and destroy them in a move that turns combat into glorified quick time events.. found myself using only rocket pods in that game because of it, and enjoying the moments where weapons systems were jammed. as you say working for it makes it more enjoyable!

I was going to skip over this game, but it looks good. Maybe I'll get it. I still want Ace Combat to come back to Playstation.

Thread Information