Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo MiTo QV

Alfa Romeo MiTo QV

What do you all think about this 1.4 litre bundle of joy called the Alfa Romeo MiTo QV?

2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo QV - Images, Specifications and Information

I am just too impressed and enchanted by the sweetness of this little car. So much muscle from so little a car. I want one of these.

US auto companies need to hide their face in shame. All the 1.8 and 1.6 litre cars I know in the US, can't touch this little gem.

In Europe it's pretty normal, there are plenty of warm/hot hatches.

Personally I'd go for something else, like the Clio RS or the Punto Abarth.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Maybe this handles better, but there's always the larger engined 2L Cobalt SS for $23.5k USD and it has 90 more horsepower than this and is a bargain. Could Alfa afford to sell a car like that below the price of say a Cobalt SS? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Maybe this handles better, but there's always the larger engined 2L Cobalt SS for $23.5k USD and it has 90 more horsepower than this and is a bargain. Could Alfa afford to sell a car like that below the price of say a Cobalt SS? I don't think so.
    The Cobalt is a segment above the MiTo. You should compare it to the Megane RS os the Focus RS or the Leon Cupra R.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The Cobalt is a segment above the MiTo. You should compare it to the Megane RS os the Focus RS or the Leon Cupra R.
    I brought up the Cobalt because G35 said the Americans should hang their head in shame as they don't have a car in the 1.6-1.8 L range that can touch the MiTo. He set the parameters yes, but the Cobalt is only 200ccs above his upper limit and puts out amazing power.

The American car companies don't make hot hatches because there isn't a market here for them. With gas being so cheap as well as cars being so cheap people can simply afford larger performance cars. Of small cars, only the Mini stands out as a performance car that sells in any numbers and I'm sure that's often because of the Mini's looks and name. People in North America I don't think really want small performance cars - they don't have the heritage here that they do in Europe. After the recession, when gas prices rise again some people may change their mind however.

The American car companies don't make hot hatches because there isn't a market here for them.
    this
    yanks complain about the ford focus RS and all that, but really at that kind of money who in the US would pay that for a Ford hatchback?
    Of small cars, only the Mini stands out as a performance car
    lol
    what about the gti? although they are getting bigger with each model i suppose
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    this
    yanks complain about the ford focus RS and all that, but really at that kind of money who in the US would pay that for a Ford hatchback?

lol
    what about the gti? although they are getting bigger with each model i suppose
    The GTI has usable backseats does it not? The Mini lacks them. In terms of area, the Mini must be the second smallest car for sale in North America by quite a fair amount.

I guess I lump the GTI in with the Speed 3, Cobalt SS etc due to a comparison I read ages ago in Car and Driver. Wait, maybe the Mini was in that comparo...

Anyhoo I've strayed. Was reading evo's The Knowledge clutch, and it's just popped back in my head. In that other thread I said i wasn't familiar with Integra Type R's. They called - no bullshit - the Type R the best front wheel drive car ever.

Ok, I think I will give it some credit now.

Fiat 695 is waaaay cooler :P
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Anyhoo I've strayed. Was reading evo's The Knowledge clutch, and it's just popped back in my head. In that other thread I said i wasn't familiar with Integra Type R's. They called - no bullshit - the Type R the best front wheel drive car ever.

Was my avatarial Volvo in there too? It's a pretty damn good FWD... though it may have been AWD in your market. Unsure about Things.

i still love this Alfa Romeo Mito QV. The Fiat Abarth looks cool, but not in a way that the Alfa Romeo does for me.

The GTI has usable backseats does it not? The Mini lacks them. In terms of area, the Mini must be the second smallest car for sale in North America by quite a fair amount.

I guess I lump the GTI in with the Speed 3, Cobalt SS etc due to a comparison I read ages ago in Car and Driver. Wait, maybe the Mini was in that comparo...
    that is true. plus weight wise as well, they are a good 100kg and upwards more than the alfa.

lol it is seriously a focused car. there is a best motoring vid with it lapping the track with the same times as an STI of the same year.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The thing is I'd consider the Mini more like a sportscar that looks a bit like a city car. But anyway.

I think hot hatches are brilliant, they are all thing to all men. Especially in 5 door guise they bring you the practicality and the driving enjoyment in one affordable package. And in truth they are much more relevant to us than any supercar we dare to discuss.

In the real world of speed limits, speed cameras, speed bumps, traffic jams, narrow roads, kids and families, they make a lot of sense and you can have a lot of fun without being broke or going to jail.
    Visca Catalunya!

I bet the 1.4 litre engine of this Alfa Romeo, can also be pushed to 215bhp with a few minor modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    I bet the 1.4 litre engine of this Alfa Romeo, can also be pushed to 215bhp with a few minor modifications.
    Give it quad-turbos*.
    Last edited by LTSmash; 09-12-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Give it quad-turbos*.
    And nitrous. Plus, a fartcan will add 10mph to the top speed.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information