View Poll Results: Are cars getting uglier ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • New cars are BEAUTIFUL !

11 50.00%
  • New cars are UGLY !

5 22.73%
  • They are no better or worse than they've ever been.

6 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are cars getting uglier?

Are cars getting uglier?

We've all seen the direction that BMW, Audi, Ford, Renault etc. are going with their design studies, but have they lost the plot?

Are these cars EXTERIORS better or worse than those they replace. Vote with your mice . . .

I think there are designers and designers...
    look at the bmw ones, they are getting crazy... its latest designs, are ugly!!!!
    but the ford designers are in the right way... you just look at the Focus, Mondeo, the Mustang Coupe GT prototype (amazing!!!!)

I think this question depends on the way each company is taking to its design...

it´s not a exact science...
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br
    The 56th member of this Forum.

I don't like the Mondeo

This is an "In general" survey.

I don't think cars are getting uglier, especialy Renault is making beautifull cars. If you compare the old Laguna with the latest one and the Safrane with the Vel Satis, the new ones are far more beautifull then the old ones, i think.

there are not much manufactures which are making more ugly cars then they used to, even Opels are getting better. Only Korean cars are still ugly.
    Last edited by Rob; 06-05-2003 at 11:15 AM.

People are afraid of change. There's probably always a time when people think that car designers are going crazy. For example, the cars from the 80's are totally different from the cars of the 90's, the cars from the 70's are totally different from the cars of the 80's, and so on and so on.
    Tdot owns you.

I was recently re-reading an Article in my old CAR magazine (Sept 2002) and i came across a story that named the 6 ugliest cars in the world still in production, the article spoke of how car design has to have become confrontational to the buying public to egg a reaction out of them. How the brand needs you to either say " I love it"or "I hate it". The cars were:
    Ferrari Enzo: Even Ferrari can indulge in Crassness
    Fiat Multipla: Proof Italians love a good argument.
    BMW 7-series: a bold rejection of all that is beautiful
    Mercedes Benz Sport Coupe: Winner of the "rear end from Hell award."
    Porsche Cayenne: Did they really think they'd get away with it?
    Renault Vel Satis: The French Resort to Shock tactics...
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Styling is becoming retro - because the people with the money (at the moment baby-boomers) determine the shape of products - and not only cars. The only manufacturers missing the point is the Japanese, take the Celica for example (I know I'm repeating myself here). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the ones beholdin' the money make designers jump in their direction.
    A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

Originally posted by Rob
    Only Korean cars are still ugly.
    Having a general look over the recent years designs we may say that things are getting better for some european manufacturers(Citroen,Renault,....) who changed their whole strategy in both styling & even marketing.For instance,who could ever believe that Citroen could have its feet settled in China in the presence of nearby good Japanese & cheap Koreans ?
    Sad thing is that Koreans haven't learnt the european lesson yetnever ever imitate others).They are still trying to bring OUTDATED things to this world & never give up.
    On the other hand,we may see some automotive legends try breaking rules by introducing some thing completely unusual to grab people's attention....
    It is always the WIND OF CHANGE....

This is a hard nut to crack, I think there have always been cars that were considered ugly and cars that were beautiful. It might also be the case that cars that were considered beautful in their time are now found to be ugly and the other way around. Taste can change and is erratic.

The fact that people are talking now more openly about ugly cars may also have to do with the addition of other sources to express opinions. Up to not so long ago we were largely driven by the opinions of experts writing for printed media. In particular these media were (and still are) dependent on advertisement income. Negative opinions on cars has in more than one case resulted in boycots by manufacturers, resulting in roadtesters being not so outspoken.

Since the demise if the British car industry more "objective" and independent journalism has emerged, notably in BBC's Top Gear (remember Clarkson on the Vauxhall Vectra, which was reduced to rearmirrors) and also the Car magazine (see the list posted earlier in the threat) that has no problems in telling us what they consider to be beautiful and acceptable. (Their ratings of individual cars at the back of the magazine makes sometimes hilarious reading).

So to conclude I think because we are nowadays more outspoken, it may look like there are more ugly cars around, but objectively that might not be the case

Originally posted by henk4
    notably in BBC's Top Gear (remember Clarkson on the Vauxhall Vectra, which was reduced to rearmirrors) and also the Car magazine (see the list posted earlier in the threat) that has no problems in telling us what they consider to be beautiful and acceptable.
    As a matter of a fact BBC's TOPGEAR is,in my opinion, one of the best unbiased sources for motor news ever especially that they issue an anual report for the best service dealers,best car of the year.....etc

some cars are getting uglier, compare the new Punto with this, they made the front look Korean!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob; 06-10-2003 at 12:47 PM.

A little fact for you rob.

The Hyundai Matrix (Car Pictured) was actually designed by PininFarina, not in Korea, so in effect it's Italians Copying Italians... Don't Beleive me, check the rear quarter panels for little "PininFarina'' badges next time you see one.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Originally posted by IBrake4Rainbows

The Hyundai Matrix (Car Pictured) was actually designed by PininFarina, not in Korea, so in effect it's Italians Copying Italians... Don't Beleive me, check the rear quarter panels for little "PininFarina'' badges next time you see one.
    I know, you're right, i haven't thought about that, I'm sorry. But I still think the new Punto is ugly and I think the doesn't look very Italian anymore.

Originally posted by IBrake4Rainbows

the matrix is bastard ugly - real DISGRACE to pininfarina - crap - ausi i think is making cars which are getting more beautiful by the years
    BAZOOKA EXHAUST

hmmm

Its easy, it's simple!! While some cars are getting uglier (BMW 7-series), others are getting better looking (Mercedes SL). It has always been like that and will continue to be like that even after we all start driving flying cars !!

Thread Information