Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5,000 - 7,000 RPM And Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    every time i drive the 911.

never in the triumph (with that much torque what's the point?)
    +1

A 911S doesn't feel right unless you let it go to redline.

None of my other street cars have that quality, so I don't do it to them. But the 911 ASKS for it.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Fwiw after hearing Magna 3.0 'improved production' racers at Bathurst, I really was surprised how sweet the Mitsu V6 sounds through open pipes - nice warble, almost rivals the old Alfa V6 imo
    Nota that one is good for about 240kw at the wheels also, that would have been Ian Stathams smagma at the 12hr in IP, he beat a lot of bigger hp and lighter cars in that thing. He was saying a lot of the guys before qualifying were laughing at it, they soon shut up when he finished top 15 out of 55 cars by the end of the weekend
    Last edited by charged; 09-21-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Not saying magna's sound bad with an exhaust - but your talking about the last gen magna correct? they ones they ran in the rally of canberra to prove that the AWD spec ones were actually capable cars..

exhausts tend to drone in auto's with an intake atleast you'd only get the noise when you want it.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

no this model Mitsy made a dozen or so for GTP when it was all the rage, we have 5 racing with 2 more in the build..... SA the Racing Magna state

SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Ah okay, I assumed it was the late model for some reason.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I have no redline, but the rev limiter sets in at around 5000 or so. Never tried although I may have hit it once in 2nd gear when I was driving next to an Auto Union D-Type with the windows open. No need to rev in order to go fast. Very comfy. (also to the ears and the environment).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I take mine to the red about once a week, just to get it to temperature, it really doens't give much more beyond 5500, although the cut is at about 6500. usually i cruise in the highway at 100kms/h = 2900rpm, in the city it's between 1500 and 2500/3000.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

i spend most of my time driving above 4k, and run it to redline most every time i drive. i have lately had a problem of running into the limiter on 1st because it is still pulling so strong.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Drove the RSX and Civic with the engine short of blowing up on a regular basis. The benz gets to stay calm.

I usually shift the GTI at either 3000 or 5000. 3 for around town driving, 5 for more spirited excursions. Since it's a turbo it's a lot happier the higher the rpms. It's not a very happy car below 2500 I redline it occasionally, usually entering the highway or on some of the back roads near my house, but I try not to do it too often
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

No need to bring any of my cars up to 5,000+ rpm. They make a lot of low-end torque so high revs are not necessary.

Also since the engines in all 4 of my cars have not been rebuilt, and they range in age from 14 to 43 years old, I don't want to rev them too high.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

At least once per drive, I like rowing through 2+ gears to redline but I can only do that getting on the highway.

"a redline a day keeps carbon away"

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Well, peak HP comes in my car @ 4100, and the trans shifts @ 4400 WOT. Had it up to 5k once on the dyno but the power fell off so sharply that I backed it down to 4500 on the next pull. In other words, the Mustang never hits 5k. Hell, it rarely hits 2k, tends to shift itself at 1300 the way I normally drive.

My motorcycle, on the other hand...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBoost View Post
    At least once per drive, I like rowing through 2+ gears to redline but I can only do that getting on the highway.

"a redline a day keeps carbon away"
    My good friend:

Well said! I do the same all the time.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Yeah, since I got that carbon bit holding my valve open earlier this year, I try to run it up once a month and blow s**t out of there. With the leaner carb setting I haven't had any problems and 2" duals with cherry bombs should be reason enough to get some revs on the bad boy.

EDIT: of course, I don't get my 17mpg doing that...
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-07-2009 at 09:57 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information