Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Opinion on the 912E

914s are great-looking if only for their lowness.
    /Quiggsishness
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I always thought they were kind of cool. Don't know why they aren't more popular.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

finding a 914-6 seems to be a bit hard though. they handle so well, just not enough to outhandle the ugly

i still think an SC would be a good plan. cheap, flat six not the VW four cylinder, simple and pretty bulletproof.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    finding a 914-6 seems to be a bit hard though. they handle so well, just not enough to outhandle the ugly.
    I don't know... you can't see the outside of a car when you're driving it. The 914 may not have excited enough buyers in the day partly because it was a VW excersize and the styling was boxy, but they have a strong fan base. A 914/6 is on my list but as you point out, a good one is hard to find and they aren't cheap. Even a collector-grade 2.0 liter can approach $20K.

These cars are all about handling performance. Drive one to understand how to live with "ugly".
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

yeah, they do handle awesome - but i mean you still have to walk up to it to get in etc etc

maybe if you only approach it at a certain angle..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

yeah, they do handle awesome - but i mean you still have to walk up to it to get in etc etc

maybe if you only approach it at a certain angle..
    And unless you're married cars have other uses, too. I'm not saying you should buy one just to be seen in it but if every hot woman on the planet laughs at you (not saying they would in a 914, just hypothetically,) no matter how well it handles is it really worth it?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    And unless you're married cars have other uses, too. I'm not saying you should buy one just to be seen in it but if every hot woman on the planet laughs at you (not saying they would in a 914, just hypothetically,) no matter how well it handles is it really worth it?
    lol it's not THAT ugly. it's more a lack of anything special in the looks department i guess. i think i dislike it's looks because it had a lot of potential.

a 914-6 is an eligible car for the Le Mans Classic
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well, it's not hard to disguise, the Chalon kits look pretty good. I've also seen genuine 930 steel slope noses grafted on...
    the front after all, is the biggest styling issue with the 914. Looks pretty good with a nose job... kinda like that girl in school everyone teased; when she showed up at the 10th reunion, nobody recognized her. But every guy wanted in her pants.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

lol it's not THAT ugly. it's more a lack of anything special in the looks department i guess. i think i dislike it's looks because it had a lot of potential.
    I wasn't saying this car was. I actually don't think it looks that bad. I agree it could have looked better, but most cars could so I don't see the huge fuss over this one. It was just a general observation on my part.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    These cars are all about handling performance. Drive one to understand how to live with "ugly".
    I drive a 118d. I'm basically the costumer base for the 914, I see...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information