Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gas Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    The most fuel efficient vehicle on the road is no longer allowed to ply our roads without being killed or hit or without being cited for its stinky droppings---a horse. Maybe 400 mpg.
    My great grandfather the counrty doctor may argue that point, both in feed costs and epidemia.....

BTW: I see a lot of equine transportation in my neighborhood still

Thanks for the info guys, this should help a lot. Remember, it must be production, non-electrical cars and the mpgs must be official ratings, not what you got driving at 55mph on 6th gear for 3 hours on the highway behind a semi...

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, this should help a lot. Remember, it must be production, non-electrical cars and the mpgs must be official ratings, not what you got driving at 55mph on 6th gear for 3 hours on the highway behind a semi...
    Awww. I was going to cite the top gear test between a prius and an M3.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wstander View Post
    My great grandfather the counrty doctor may argue that point, both in feed costs and epidemia.....

BTW: I see a lot of equine transportation in my neighborhood still
    Annual equine costs may still be less than the cost to gas a Toyota Prius annually. And as for feed costs, grass and hay exist naturally---it is free---no extraordinary processing of feed required.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Annual equine costs may still be less than the cost to gas a Toyota Prius annually. And as for feed costs, grass and hay exist naturally---it is free---no extraordinary processing of feed required.
    It requires a significant amount of property, though. And they can't eat while you're riding, so you do have to feed them something witha higher nutritional value that can be caried with you (may not be much to eat where you stop.) Plus in a lot of areas you have to feed your horses vitamins in their grain to supplement for what's missing from the local diet to keep them healthy. Also, the travel rates are pretty slow. It's quite a bit cheaper to just ride a bike, if that's all you care about.

However if you ride your horse to the bar it does help you pick up women. DUI's apply even on horseback, though, so you have to be careful.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    However if you ride your horse to the bar it does help you pick up women. DUI's apply even on horseback, though, so you have to be careful.
    I rode to a bar once.. the horse knew the way back too, so I was just a passenger, officer..

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I rode to a bar once.. the horse knew the way back too, so I was just a passenger, officer..
    There was a guy here in Idaho that argued the horse was his designated driver. When told the horse didn't have a drivers license the guy responded you don't need one to operate a horse.
    Big cities suck

I thought I explained to you the bogus nature of official figures, but if you to go ahead with them to convince a group of elderly people.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I thought I explained to you the bogus nature of official figures, but if you to go ahead with them to convince a group of elderly people.....
    I think the point is that they're at least a regular baseline for comparison instead of numbers from a bunch of different people when you have no idea how they were driving. For instance, neon SRT-4 figures that range from 14mpg to 39 mpg. Hard to judge where in there your own driving would land. But with the EPA numbers you at least (should) know what to expect.
    Big cities suck

I think the point is that they're at least a regular baseline for comparison instead of numbers from a bunch of different people when you have no idea how they were driving. For instance, neon SRT-4 figures that range from 14mpg to 39 mpg. Hard to judge where in there your own driving would land. But with the EPA numbers you at least (should) know what to expect.
    the problem is that manufacturers are wanting us to believe that these are what you say they are. They do manipulate their engines/gear ratios to make them look most favourable under the laboratory test conditions that everybody knows. I am not saying that the best figures are obtained by the best cheaters, but it is not very far off the mark.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Alright, 118d official fuel consumption (combined) 52mpg US. And it's a 130mph 5 door hatchback.
    the problem is that manufacturers are wanting us to believe that these are what you say they are. They do manipulate their engines/gear ratios to make them look most favourable under the laboratory test conditions that everybody knows. I am not saying that the best figures are obtained by the best cheaters, but it is not very far off the mark.
    But I can see where wwgkd is coming from. You might not get the official figures, but for comparing which car will use the most or the least fuel they can be base to work on.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But I can see where wwgkd is coming from. You might not get the official figures, but for comparing which car will use the most or the least fuel they can be base to work on.
    The problem is that you do get the "official" figures but they are bogus,
    especially when you note that "observed deviations" from the official figures vary greatly for different cars. It would be OK if all cars would take say on average about 20% more fuel than indicated, but that ranges from 5-30% or so in practice. So you simply cannot say: Add 20% to the EPA/ECE values and you have your mileage.

The problem is that you do get the "official" figures but they are bogus,
    especially when you note that "observed deviations" from the official figures vary greatly for different cars. It would be OK if all cars would take say on average about 20% more fuel than indicated, but that ranges from 5-30% or so in practice. So you simply cannot say: Add 20% to the EPA/ECE values and you have your mileage.
    Now that's a big problem then. And makes official figures totally meaningless...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It requires a significant amount of property, though. And they can't eat while you're riding, so you do have to feed them something witha higher nutritional value that can be caried with you (may not be much to eat where you stop.) Plus in a lot of areas you have to feed your horses vitamins in their grain to supplement for what's missing from the local diet to keep them healthy. Also, the travel rates are pretty slow. It's quite a bit cheaper to just ride a bike, if that's all you care about.

LOL! I agree with you.

Frankly, the points you raised begs the question, what is the the opportunity cost to this planet, of moving towards a green culture and a green world??? I haven't heard much discussion about this in much of the articles i have read related to this matter.

Thread Information