Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    may I suggest the metric system? (probably not)
    I like metric, I'm all for that suggestion.. but I'm thinking some 50 odd year old blokes in the US won't be.

it actually greatly depends on how and where you drive the car. The Prius probably will beat any diesel in city traffic, but will loose out on long motorway trips against them.
    Th EPA/ECE figures are to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt, as manufacturers are very keen on setting up a car just for that purpose. (European tests reveal to what level normal fuel consumption exceeds the ECE values and it gos up to 30%.)
    So far I get about 5% over the ECE value during the summer period and 13% during the winter. (37.9 mpg ECE, 36.2 summer, 33.6 winter). I have managed to avoid city traffic and rush hours for over 95% of my driving.
    Facit: So when discussing any mileage figures between four grumpy old men, first ask them how they plan to drive their cars.
    Still diesels are much less sensitive to driving styles than petrols. So if you want to drive like a lunatic and save money, diesel is the way to go.

I mean the 118d can get as high as 41mpg (city and motorway, never below 90mph on the latter) or as low as 34mpg (including 120mph motorway blasts).

EDIT Fuel consumption figures in US gallons.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So if you want to drive like a lunatic and save money, diesel is the way to go.
    Damn, you found me out.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Still diesels are much less sensitive to driving styles than petrols. So if you want to drive like a lunatic and save money, diesel is the way to go.
    Which is the reason I am looking for a diesel car. Also because of my daily trip to The Hague from next week.

I'll post some from the top of my head, all from different segments. All diesel.

Citroen C2 1.4 HDI 70bhp 54.70 Mpg

Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet 90bhp - 51.13 Mpg

Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Ecomotive 105bhp - 52.27 Mpg

BMW 520d 173bhp - 44.38 Mpg

These are combined consuptions, i think it's about 30% city, 70% Highway.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Unless you count what it takes to generate the electricity in the first place, then it falls far short of the other cars we're discussing here.
    MX5 converted to electric, powered solely by renewable energy, used as weekday commuter, 0-100 km/h in about 10 seconds

"The Mazda climbs the [steep Mt Ousely] escarpment in Woollongong without the cells rising appreciably in temperature."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    MX5 converted to electric, powered solely by renewable energy, used as weekday commuter, 0-100 km/h in about 10 seconds

"The Mazda climbs the [steep Mt Ousely] escarpment in Woollongong without the cells rising appreciably in temperature."
    I think you may be implying zero costs, but you still have to count the energy to produce the windmill and the solar panels...and of course the price for the loss of any emotion when driving (just quoting the real petrolheads)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think you may be implying zero costs, but you still have to count the energy to produce the windmill and the solar panels...and of course the price for the loss of any emotion when driving (just quoting the real petrolheads)
    No implications really, just the 'art of the possible' and perhaps a peek into the future

For quid pro quo, don't forget to include the energy required to produce (and deliver) petrol or diesel or any other fuel!

Emotions are in the eye of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Emotions are in the eye of the beholder
    ear??

may I suggest the metric system? (probably not)
    Please refer to my signature below to see my response to your suggestion.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

"The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Please refer to my signature below to see my response to your suggestion.
    most grown-ups don't believe in a "Devil" concept anymore.......

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    that's the previous Prius version, I think the new one is more frugal.
    Edit: And Nic, the last line of your link says it all.......
    Last edited by henk4; 09-24-2009 at 05:15 AM.

The most fuel efficient vehicle on the road is no longer allowed to ply our roads without being killed or hit or without being cited for its stinky droppings---a horse. Maybe 400 mpg.

Damn, you found me out.
    I can see you going a million in the C5 and still averaging like 50mpg or something.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information