Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Selling....

Thoughts About Selling....

I normally cruise The Samba. A VW Enthusiast's site. I am looking for an un-biased opinion here. I own and restored a 1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe. I suppose it could best be described as a Resto-Mod. I Spent 10 years and many dollars making her an award winning show car. I think she is definitly at the top percentage of her class as for as looks and quality. Her is my dilema.....
    I know of a 2002 XJ8 vert for sale at a reasonable price 42k miles and less than $20k. The Jag is in terrific shape. I cannot own both. Should I sell a one of a kind Ghia that I may not be able to duplicate in my life for a Modern Jaguar. Thought's....... and be brutally frank. I can handle it

Here are some pics of my Ghia

Do you drive the VW? If the answer is no, I'd sell it and buy the Jag. If the answer is yes depends on which is more enjoyable. My advice is that in anycase you should try the Jaguar out, unless you are really certain you want it regardless of everything else. Then just buy it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

kingkarmann, I'll echo ferrer's comment but add this: you went through all that trouble with the Ghia because you enjoy it, effort rewarded by having something special that YOU did. I'll also add that what any restorer does is the supreme example of being green, recycling cars. If you aren't afraid to use the Ghia daily, forget about the Jag... if you want greater creature comforts from the newer car, then do it. Just don't expect people to drool over it the way they react to your KG.

Good luck, that's a tough decision.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I've put about 1,000 miles a year on the Ghia. She only gets driven to shows. I do enjoy the reaction she gets but sometimes I want to just drive her. Cars are made to be driven but honestly I feel the need to keep the miles of the Ghia. I do like the idea of a Sunday top down drive with a little more HP and comfort but I know for sure I would always miss the Ghia. I suppose I have to consider making room for both. The Jag seems like such a wonderful car and the price is right. Decisions !!

IF there is a chance of having both without robbing a bank, then I'd go for it.
    The Jag is probably the best car to enjoy relaxedly without worrying on the miles your putting on it, while the Ghia is something special even just to stare at it.
    Really to different things, and I'd like to have them both.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Agreed with Leon, but if you really can't keep both, then see how much you can get for the Ghia. If you can get a fair bit, then it's probably worth selling. However, it did sound like you put a lot of hardwork/money into the Ghia, so maybe just keep that?
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Try to think about which one will make you the most happy. Having an everyday driver, or a garage queen?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

keep the ghia, it will only go up in value. its rare, especially in such great condition.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

it's not necessary to drive the car all the time to get the full enjoyment out of owning it (lol i've been watching Love the Beast too much - actually watch it, might give you some perspective on your ownership of the car).
    on the other hand if you find yourself conflicted about driving it or preserving it, maybe it is best to sell it to someone who can either afford to keep it a garage queen or who will enjoy it and drive it with no qualms.
    but remember, as you say, it's pretty much a unique car.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think you should keep your car. The Jag is probably just something thats tempted you into this temporary phase that you're having. Its easy to get bored of a vehicle and long for something else, because the grass always seems greener on the other side. At the end of the day, you just have to decide what its worth to you. That car must have some kind of sentimental value to you. That being the case, I would never give it up. I believe once you have the Jag for a while, you'll start to reminisce about the times of old with you and your Karmann, and chances are you're going to really miss her. Jags are a dime a dozen. Keep that collector.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
    I've put about 1,000 miles a year on the Ghia. She only gets driven to shows. I do enjoy the reaction she gets but sometimes I want to just drive her. Cars are made to be driven but honestly I feel the need to keep the miles of the Ghia. I do like the idea of a Sunday top down drive with a little more HP and comfort but I know for sure I would always miss the Ghia. I suppose I have to consider making room for both. The Jag seems like such a wonderful car and the price is right. Decisions !!
    If showing it was your reason to build it, then the choice is to find a way to have both. But like the other guys here say, a modern Jag isn't that KG. Four years ago I dropped off my last Audi (an L8) at the dealer, and have only driven our classics since. Don't be afraid of mileage... even if you built it to show, there's a limited life of doing only that with a car. Used regularly, every one of my cars brings a smile to my face each time, and to everyone that sees them on the street. Drive that Ghia daily and I'll bet you experience the same sensation.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

SIR!! Have you lost your mind? In five years that Jag with be a piece of crap, the KG will always be a classic.

Here's my suggestion: drive the KG, even if it's no longer going to be a 100 point car. And then after five or seven years re-restore it.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

If I can just add another thing, your car looks absolutely impeccable. I would put money on the fact that the modern '02 XJ you're looking at probably isn't even in the shape that your classic KG is in. If you really like the Jag, you'll find an even cheaper one. Those cars drop in value at a pace comparable to diarrhea. If you can't find one this year, you'll have one next year. And yea, congrats on an incredible example of a KG. I've never seen another one like it.

Keep the KG and buy something cheap that'll be a blast to drive. Wait 10 years, sell the KG for twice its worth today (it's a buyers' market right now) and buy something supaspeshul.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
    Then listening to Nic would probably be a good idea. And as you say cars are meant to be driven.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information