Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UCP: I need your help

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    In australia we dont need an instructor to teach us, a documented amount of hours (varies state to state) with a fully licenced driver teaching you is all you need to pass your learners (as well as a final test with the tester)
    I am really surprised. I assume that also in your country car insurance is mandatory, and here you can only get insurance on your car if you have a license.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In australia we dont need an instructor to teach us, a documented amount of hours (varies state to state) with a fully licenced driver teaching you is all you need to pass your learners (as well as a final test with the tester)
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I am really surprised. I assume that also in your country car insurance is mandatory, and here you can only get insurance on your car if you have a license.
    I think that in France something similar happens (happened?).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Correct yes, CTP (compulsory third party) or the "greenslip" is required to get the car onto the road, but you dont need a licence to get a greenslip.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think that in France something similar happens (happened?).
    In France you get a license and you have to drive with an "A" on the rear of your car for the first year, indicating that you are new to the sport, and that you for instance are not allowed to exceed 110 kph.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In France you get a license and you have to drive with an "A" on the rear of your car for the first year, indicating that you are new to the sport, and that you for instance are not allowed to exceed 110 kph.
    Yes but IIRC while undertaking the driving lessons with an instructor you can also do a certain number of kilometres with a designated tutor (usually your father, mother,...) to help you pass the test easier and sooner.
    Visca Catalunya!

Correct yes, CTP (compulsory third party) or the "greenslip" is required to get the car onto the road, but you dont need a licence to get a greenslip.
    how generous of the insurance companies....but whatever, you are therefore allowed to drive it on the road without a license?
    Last edited by henk4; 09-28-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Yes but IIRC while undertaking the driving lessons with an instructor you can also do a certain number of kilometres with a designated tutor (usually your father, mother,...) to help you pass the test easier and sooner.
    even without having double brakes?

isn't it the same in the States?
    We were checking the prices comparing Italy to California for the girlfriend, and while here I payed about 400/500 € for my license, keeping the driving school to a minimum to save money as I already knew how to drive (and knew the rules as well), in California (or States side for what that it matters) it would costs about...35 $.

It was possible to use your own car even here until double pedals for the practicing/exam car became mandatory.
    EDIT: you can still practice with a private car and a tutor with 10 years of license, with a huge "P" attached to the rear and a few limitations as well (like no motorway, but that's even with the driving school).
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 09-28-2009 at 04:14 AM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

even without having double brakes?
    I think so. I don't know the exact rules, but maybe you had to undertake a number of lessons before being allowed in a car without double controls. I'm sure french members can be much more precise than me with this.
    Visca Catalunya!

how generous of the insurance companies....but whatever, you are therefore allowed to drive it on the road without a license?
    as long as someone with an 'open' license is in the passenger seat, yes. don't need an instructor. and have to display L plates and the like
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think so. I don't know the exact rules, but maybe you had to undertake a number of lessons before being allowed in a car without double controls. I'm sure french members can be much more precise than me with this.
    possibly, in the mean time we have ran away from the thread topic quite a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    as long as someone with an 'open' license is in the passenger seat, yes. don't need an instructor. and have to display L plates and the like
    OK, so the car can be fully registered on your name without having a license? (having a license is mandatory here to be allowed to register a car in your name, as you will be liable for road tax)

yes, you can have a car registered in your name without having a license, before you're even of eligible age for a license, etc etc, and you can insure it too (but not for you driving it, if you're driving completely unlicensed so to speak, learners are allowed)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    A sports car (and sports car's don't have to be power monsters, look at a Miata) could be considered safer in a couple ways I could think of. Some have already been stated, such as accident avoidance. But kind of an extension of that is that a car that can drive at 150 is going to be much better able to handle the driver doing something slightly stupid at 60 than a car that can only safely go 60.

Plus a car like that leads to greater driver awareness for what's going on. If you don't have the power to spin the tires then you're much more likely to floor it every where you go (see a lot of civic drivers doing that and not many viper drivers.) The first time you don't have traction (say first rain in a while and the roads are really slick) then that bad habit and lack of awareness of how a car will respond at the limits can bite you in the @ss.

Of course there's easier passing, and much shorter emergency braking. An example of the braking was that once I was going through sacramento in my dad's truck (****ing hate the drivers there) on my way to pick up a trailer when traffic slowed down pretty quickly and I had to brake hard. Some idiot in a little geo decided that was the perfect time to cut into my lane and I had to stomp on the brakes hard to keep from rolling right over him (have no idea how I didn't hit him.) The 911 behind me that had been tailgaiting ended up stopping 15 feet further back than me despite having no warning and less space to stop than me; where I could have been in an accident, he was never in any danger at all. Brakes being one of the most important safety devices on a car, it makes sense the lighter weight and better brakes of a sports car would be much safer. Emergency lane change is a common saftey test, and one that's usually dominated by sports cars.

When all is said and done I'd much rather avoid an accident through greater awareness and abilities (both mine and the vehicles) than try to live through it. Remember that someone who's going to drive like an idiot will probably drive likethat in anything, so I'm not so sure that a sports car really encourages that since most real sports cars I see (vette's vipers, lambo's , ferraris, porsches) all drive safely while it's the schmucks in civics and infiniti G35s that are trying to take themselves out of the gene pool.
    Why the hating and prejudice of G-35s?? First of all, its not on the same league as any civic, stock for stock, and corvettes owners love to run with G-35s, for reasons I have not figured out yet. What has the G-35 done to you this beautiful day?

Hear ye, hear ye, one day you are gonna own a G-35 and you are gonna love it like a wife.

Oh my beautiful G, do not listen to WWGKD. What God has brought together, let no man put asunder. Thats right!

Thread Information