Thread: Racing-themed Board Games

Racing-themed Board Games

The forum doesn't specify, so I figured why not? I'd like to see who in here plays board games, and if so, what your favorite racing-themed board game is.

Don't think I only mean Auto Racing, either.

Some of my favorites include:

Snow Tails: A dogsled racing game where you play cards to change the speed and direction of your dog team; drifting left or right with different-speed dogs is essential to negotiating the track.

Formula De: Move your car along the track according to die roll; but you roll a different die for each gear. (ist is numbered 1-2, second is numbered 2-4, third is 4-8 and so on.) End a certain number of turns in each corner to simulate slowing down for them. Very light but tons of fun and support for up to 10 players:

Bolide: No dice or cards; the cars move using realistic vector physics. The markers on the track represent the car's current momentum; you move by modifying the car's endpoint inertia. Requires planning ahead!

And my favorite racing game, PitchCar: You simply make a track and flick your car-disc around, trying not to fly off the table. First person to make 3 complete laps wins.

There's a host of others: Race Day, Daytona 500, Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix, Winners' Circle, Race the Wind, Jamaica, Speed Circuit, and many more.

Which ones do you play? Which is your favorite? Which one would you most like to play that you haven't?
    Last edited by unixrevolution; 10-05-2009 at 12:18 AM.
    Cougar. Impala. Road Runner. Mustang. Barracuda. Marlin. Cobra. Wildcat. Falcon. Hornet. Tiger. Jaguar. Colt. Bronco. Viper. Bagheera. Gremlin. Stingray. Firebird. Pinto. Thunderbird. Eagle. Skylark.

Protect the Wildlife. Don't crush them, restore them.

Amazing! I used to have 'Grand Prix', this boardgame from the 60s. Similar but less mathematical, you had a little speedo on a card you moved around. I've lost it now, and I think the original game is worth a bit of money.

I have the old Avalon Hill game Speed Circuit . . . back when I worked as a tech in a dealership myself and another tech would play at lunch. We introduced another die to cause weather changes in the game just to make it extciting.
    Interestingly enough at teh same time I was a crew member on an SCCA Formula Atlantic Chevron and an IMSA GTO Camaro. One can never get enough racing!

PitchCar looks pretty cool. I may have to find that for myself...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Some say "Top Gear"'s tamed racing driver has always owned Park Place, Boardwalk and Free Parking.

Others say he's never been beaten at tic-tac-toe.

All we know is that he's called The Stig, and he's got his own board game called Top Gear Race The Stig Game.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I did a little Google search on that Formula De. I really like the dynamics of how that game works and the many different tracks they sell; it could be fun for a pre-grand prix get together. If only I actually knew enough people who would play that without thinking I'm some kind of F1 geek.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
    I have the old Avalon Hill game Speed Circuit . . . back when I worked as a tech in a dealership myself and another tech would play at lunch. We introduced another die to cause weather changes in the game just to make it extciting.
    Interestingly enough at teh same time I was a crew member on an SCCA Formula Atlantic Chevron and an IMSA GTO Camaro. One can never get enough racing!
    I own an original 3M copy of Speed Circuit, and played a PBEM campaign of it for a while. It's fun!
    Cougar. Impala. Road Runner. Mustang. Barracuda. Marlin. Cobra. Wildcat. Falcon. Hornet. Tiger. Jaguar. Colt. Bronco. Viper. Bagheera. Gremlin. Stingray. Firebird. Pinto. Thunderbird. Eagle. Skylark.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    PitchCar looks pretty cool. I may have to find that for myself...
    I have played over 300 different board games. PitchCar is one of fewer than a dozen I would rate a 10/10.

It's expensive at nearly 80USD for the base set, but worth every penny.

Thread Information