Thread: 3 Door Prado to return to Australia

3 Door Prado to return to Australia

TOYOTA PRESS RELEASE

From next month, for the first time since the nameplate's introduction more than a decade ago, Toyota will offer a three-door variant in the Prado line-up.

Launching locally as part of the new-generation LandCruiser Prado 150 range, the three-door will go head-to-head with Mitsubishi's short-wheelbase Pajero. As is the case with the new five-door models, the new short wheelbase Prado sports newly designed front and rear ends. Its shorter length also sees the three-door get unique roof and rear-quarter panels.

The shorter wheelbase Prado has a higher breakover angle which should allow it to negotiate tighter terrain than its larger sibling. Toyota says the lower weight "is expected to translate into even better real-world acceleration" not to mention minor improvements in emissions and fuel economy.

The stocky little Prado will also be a boaties dream, able to tow a braked trailer weighing up to three tonnes -- 500kg more than the five-door.

While the Japanese carmaker is keeping engine updates under wraps, we do know that the 4.0-litre V6 has been modified to pump out around 10 per cent more power, thanks largely to the inclusion of dual variable valve timing on inlet and exhaust camshafts. Toyota has also revealed that the turbodiesel version boasts improved fuel economy -- under 9.0L/100km on average, it claims.

David Buttner, Toyota Australia's senior executive director of sales and marketing, said the new model will broaden Prado's appeal: "Even more than new five-door Prado, the three-door will definitely attract buyers who previously have not considered a sports utility vehicle".

"Prado three-door will be the ideal vehicle for couples who want a vehicle for its sporty styling, as well as Prado's legendary towing and offroad abilities," added Buttner.

Toyota hopes to entice younger buyers "seeking recreational offroad fun" with the new three-door.

Though the company is still to announce final local spec levels, Smart Entry and Start system and alloy wheels will be standard on the new model -- at least in its higher model grades. The vehicle will also feature a full suite of safety equipment including seven airbags, antilock brakes plus electronic traction and stability control.

"Specification levels will be high across three and five-door ranges, with several flow-down technologies from Lexus and from LandCruiser 200 Series," revealed Buttner.

"New electronic features will take Prado's offroad ability to new levels for Toyota, catering even for those new to offroad motoring," said the Toyota boss.

Oh gawd it's ugly!!
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

I Wonder how well offroad this thing will go..

Strangely enough I'd hit it. (once all the parts used for driving in the city have been removed)
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Probably better than almost any modern SUV.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hope they fixed the 'split the firewall' syndrome, as with previous Prado

thats ret@rd!
    Democracy don't rule the world, You'd better get that in your head; This world is ruled by violence, But I guess that's better left unsaid.
    Bob Dylan

i can't stop looking
    :P
    Democracy don't rule the world, You'd better get that in your head; This world is ruled by violence, But I guess that's better left unsaid.
    Bob Dylan

i really hope it comes to the middle east since there is a large intrest for the 3 door version of the prado due to it spectacular off-road capabilties and its very practical
    Xbox360 Gamertag: UAE BOSS
    PS3 ID: UAE

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    The stocky little Prado will also be a boaties dream, able to tow a braked trailer weighing up to three tonnes -- 500kg more than the five-door.
    I'd still trust the 5 door over the 3 door, higher rating or not.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post

Strangely enough I'd hit it. (once all the parts used for driving in the city have been removed)
    Apparently it has better clearance over the center due to the decreased wheelbase which would also help the turning circle. Both advantageous off road. The Prado is ahead of much of the "SUV" bunch off road as it is.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Apparently it has better clearance over the center due to the decreased wheelbase which would also help the turning circle. Both advantageous off road. The Prado is ahead of much of the "SUV" bunch off road as it is.
    Welcome back....a short wheel base indeed prevent cars from getting stuck in the middle. (Like a LeMans Prototype sitting helpless on a 10 cm high kerbstone).
    Apart from that I foresee a great amount of women using these smaller cars. Like the short RAV-4.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hi

Talking about 3 door Prados, I saw a current model 3 door Prado in Ireland a few years ago.
    Last edited by henk4; 10-16-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: removed link.

Doesn't look the greatest...old ones looked far more purposeful and less glitzy. Guess thats the trend with 4x4's these days! Always had a soft spot for these 3 door SUV's tho and some good looking ones around. Personal favourite has to be the Isuzu Mu, great looking 4x4 and pretty good off road I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Doesn't look the greatest...old ones looked far more purposeful and less glitzy. Guess thats the trend with 4x4's these days! Always had a soft spot for these 3 door SUV's tho and some good looking ones around. Personal favourite has to be the Isuzu Mu, great looking 4x4 and pretty good off road I think.

isuzus are also amazingly reliable. my little truck i had (and my mom still has) is an isuzu, and all of their suvs are built on the same platform. it has been abused and poorly maintained all its life with no real problems. they just dont break.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information