Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking forward to hell

Kolkata-7th largest city in the world, still back of beyond

Looking forward to hell

Have any of you heard of car 2 car??
    They are trying to develop an EU wide standard for car-to-car EM communication. This will work in conjunction with satnav systems, and can dynamically update data about speed-limits( which then will be strictly enforced), existing road conditions etc. and can basically nanny around. At its peak, you basically just have to hold the steering wheel in your hands. To me this would be the definition of hell.
    What say??

Mission & Objectives
    A bad day at the race track beats a good day at the office any time.

The rationale behind such proposition is actually a pretty sound one: Reducing death toll on EU and roads all over the world. Nothing wrong with that.

But the implications of such a system is what I am against:
    - Ability to track your car 24/7 (even many years after you been somewhere)
    - Ability to track the vehicle speed and compare it with the Speed limit = instant speed ticket

Such a measure would only be of any use if
    - Use is NOT mandatory
    - Not usage of the system will not in any way harm other road users

Concluding, technology offers nowadays many ways to improve our lives at the expense of our privacy. Governments of course want such systems to be implemented because it makes their job easier, but it is NOT right for the people to be treated as pawns in chess.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    But the implications of such a system is what I am against:
    - Ability to track your car 24/7 (even many years after you been somewhere)
    - Ability to track the vehicle speed and compare it with the Speed limit = instant speed ticket
    So basically nobody'll want it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

don't worry about it.
    hey are idiots, the technology says they will use 802.11 !!
    Fools, there are already serious problems with the growth of 802.11 with mobiles ... just imagine every device registering and transmitting to every other device within recepton range.

SO if they DO think to deply it no problem. I'll ride my bike And in the car I'll keep an old 70s microwave -- they spray so much electromagnetic radiation that it'll kill the comms for me and those near me
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I remember seeing a trial subject some time ago where some people could choose to get a gps-system installed (in collaboration with your insurance company) to track your speed. This speed will be saved for some time, then deleted. The jest of it is that if you are involved in an accident, they will be able to track your speed at the time of the accident, and see if it had any implication on the events of the accident.

The upside of this was that you would get a cheaper insurance price. So, if you are confident that you won't be involved in an accident, it's quite a deal.

There's always refuge in the vintage car.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

In Holland they are planning to replace the current roadtax system (based on the weight of the car and the type of fuel used) by a GPS based system that will track your car at a dense grid of specific measuring points to see to what extent you have been driving during rush hours or during the less busy parts of the day. If you avoid the rush hours you will be taxed accordingly lower.
    Of course the GPS system requires a sensor in your car, so the electronics industry is all for it. And yes, it can be used for other purposes as well.
    Introduction has seen many delays, as it is actually a type of political suicide.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    In Holland...

...many delays
    It's been attempted for a decade or so now ? Every single election the politicians shout it, never more than some faling test rigs appeared.. Maybe they'll introduce it in 2020 if they are quick ?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    It's been attempted for a decade or so now ? Every single election the politicians shout it, never more than some faling test rigs appeared.. Maybe they'll introduce it in 2020 if they are quick ?
    while in theory it should be the most honest way of charging for road use....(depending of course on the tariff setting for different times of the day and different locations).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Maybe they should have sensor points in the cars and receiver points in the roads.. that way they can see who is where at when, but there's no risk of big brotherisms vis a vis speed tracking and whatnot. Unless they see that someone has gotten from point A to point B in a ridiculously fast time.. but then they should probably be got anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Maybe they should have sensor points in the cars and receiver points in the roads.. that way they can see who is where at when, but there's no risk of big brotherisms vis a vis speed tracking and whatnot. Unless they see that someone has gotten from point A to point B in a ridiculously fast time.. but then they should probably be got anyway.
    as the system also wants to identify the car (tariff will be differentiated according to certain criteria, such as for instance emissions) anonymous sensors points can not be applied. So each car is to be fitted with its unique device that will allow the road sensors to pick up its exact whereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    as the system also wants to identify the car (tariff will be differentiated according to certain criteria, such as for instance emissions) anonymous sensors points can not be applied. So each car is to be fitted with its unique device that will allow the road sensors to pick up its exact whereabouts.
    Unique devices is ok, it's just having the whereabouts picked up by sensors in certain spots in the road rather than being transmitted to satellites. It's still able to be abused that way, but if those in charge wanted to it'd be easier to design and prove a system that can't be used so big brotherly.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Unique devices is ok, it's just having the whereabouts picked up by sensors in certain spots in the road rather than being transmitted to satellites. It's still able to be abused that way, but if those in charge wanted to it'd be easier to design and prove a system that can't be used so big brotherly.
    no, afaik, satellite communication will not be part of the system.

Judging by the thread title, I thought you were announcing your wedding

Thumbs down

Speaking of Big Brother intrusion & implications, have a look at this...

iPhones to double as 'sleaze detectors'

Sufficently OT imo and well worth reading.

Thread Information