Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Quote Originally Posted by wstander View Post
    But none of this is a 'done deal' NK still rattles its nukes as does Iran...
    And yet your previous Administration threatened to 'bomb NK back into the stone age"

Rattling in result to the insanity of Pre-emption

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    What's he done to earn it? Given a couple of speeches? I honestly can't think of a single tangible result to point to either in favour or against him yet.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Kevin Rudd said sorry. No peace prize.

I say world leaders should be thanked pat on the back, but as for awards like this never.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    What's he done to earn it? Given a couple of speeches? I honestly can't think of a single tangible result to point to either in favour or against him yet.
    I think people have mentioned a few points, which relate to the approach of foreign policy in general and helped to restore confidence, acceptance and even leadership with US allies who (and their inhabitants) lost quite some faith in the USA during the reign of his predecessor. I know that is an issue that is hardly of relevance to hardcore Republicans, but as you know, the Nobel Committed is not made up of those.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    just to clarify things. a military officer, no matter what grade, DOES NOT make policy.
    That is correct. His role is to propose to the civilian leadership and then the civilian leadership decides what to do. But he obviously affects policy on the matter indirectly, since he wants more troops. It's not his decision to make, but he sure pushes towards a certain direction.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE
    How are we sure that McChrystal, is not being urged to ask for more troops so that businesses benefitting from the war can continue to reap more profits???????
    I guess that we will NEVER know that one. What we DO know and can help many people form an opinion on the matter is that former US Vice-president Dick Cheney was the CEO of Halliburton up until 2000 (For the people who aren't informed on the matter, Halliburton is one of the Mega-contractors of the American Army, providing supplies) [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney]Dick Cheney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 10-10-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: quote names were backwards... i dont want to be confused with G35
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Congratulations to Barrack Obama. It will be interesting to see how this administration operates during the next few years.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

What if he turns out to be failure?

(That doesn't mean that I want him to fail, or that I think he will)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Then he won't be the first Nobel Prize winner to fail. The prize is as much about results as it is about intentions. By its very nature the peace prize is more about intentions than any other Nobel Prize. Obama has already achieved quite a lot, particularly in changing the attitude towards the USA from the rest of the world. That will make it so much easier to get some real results compared the rather single-handed approach from his predecessor, which turned the rest of the world away from the USA.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well Arafat also failed along with his Israeli counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think people have mentioned a few points, which relate to the approach of foreign policy in general and helped to restore confidence, acceptance and even leadership with US allies who (and their inhabitants) lost quite some faith in the USA during the reign of his predecessor. I know that is an issue that is hardly of relevance to hardcore Republicans, but as you know, the Nobel Committed is not made up of those.
    I get that there's a lot of Obama love out there, but I suppose I thought to receive such an honor you had to do a little more than be likeable. I'd have thought a lifetime of achievements like Mother Theresa would be more along the lines of what you'd need to get the Nobel Peace Prize. Then again, I'm young.

I'd have thought a lifetime of achievements like Mother Theresa would be more along the lines of what you'd need to get the Nobel Peace Prize.
    Hmm, she wouldn't be my first choice on the topic.

Here is a book backing up my claim, but because I understand that it is too much information, I enclose a short article on the topic

BOOK
    The missionary position: Mother ... - ?????? Google

ARTICLE
    The fanatic, fraudulent Mother Teresa. - By Christopher Hitchens - Slate Magazine

To sum it up, Mother Teresa has been officially pronounced a Saint by the Catholic Church. In order to become a Saint, one must perform a miracle, according to the Catholic Church rules.

Now does anybody here believe that Mother Teresa did perform a miracle? Did any other so called Saint ever perform a miracle?
    Last edited by lightweight; 10-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.

inb4 10 page thread and 2 temp bans

I don't think he deserves the peace prize considering he hasn't necessarily 'changed' the situations in the Middle East but I suppose it's difficult when the world/gov't is run by lobbyists and corporations that prevent progress in legislation

The Health Care reform/public option was a sign that he's trying but that's not shaping out very well at all
    Last edited by Rockefella; 10-10-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Hmm, she wouldn't be my first choice on the topic.

Here is a book backing up my claim, but because I understand that it is too much information, I enclose a short article on the topic

BOOK
    The missionary position: Mother ... - ?????? Google

ARTICLE
    The fanatic, fraudulent Mother Teresa. - By Christopher Hitchens - Slate Magazine

To sum it up, Mother Teresa has been officially pronounced a Saint by the Catholic Church. In order to become a Saint, one must perform a miracle, according to the Catholic Church rules.

Now does anybody here believe that Mother Teresa did perform a miracle? Did any other so called Saint ever perform a miracle?
    Kind of misses the point I was making, but OK.

I get that there's a lot of Obama love out there, but I suppose I thought to receive such an honor you had to do a little more than be likeable. I'd have thought a lifetime of achievements like Mother Theresa would be more along the lines of what you'd need to get the Nobel Peace Prize. Then again, I'm young.
    I think reintroducing the concept of diplomacy in international politics is a much better condition for peace than the "if you are not with us, you are against us". theorema used by his predecessor. In that sense his approach has already significantly contributed to peace. Again, this is a development that mostly passes over the heads of average american, used to take in his news via the usual suspect TV networks (they may only show anti-US demonstrations as much as they can) , but for the rest of the world it has been very visible.
    It will take some time for many people (outside the USA) to fully understand and to accept that Obama might be sincere, but that is not because of Obama, but because of the extent of the reputation damage done during the past eight years.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information