Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Is anyone well informed about DTM cars?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    136

    Is anyone well informed about DTM cars?

    Not very much is available on the internet about the actual performance and dynamics of current DTM racers. I know they are purpose built racers and they have standard 470bhp engines etc. but what is their genuine performance in relation to other formulae. How fast are they around a track? How fast do they accelerate? What is their top speed? How loud or quiet are they?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,315
    Hockenheim GP Track
    F1: 1.13
    DTM: 1.33
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,457
    DTM car is probably as fast as a ALMS GT1/FIA GT car around some track...pending the power requirement of the place. It makes a lot of downforce, runs on carbon brakes and have sequential boxes....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    In 2008 a DTM Audi A4 set the lap record at Oschersleben in 1:23.4
    This year the Maserati MC12 set the pole position in 1.24.5.
    That said, the GT1 cars are running on heavy restriction, both for the engine and the aerodynamics.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,457
    I think if they were to race on a place like Le Mans or something GT1 car will be faster....you give them enough straight to stretch the legs of the engine and the power comes into its own...DTM car is not exactly free either since most components are spec for both model. There is no doubt though DTM is the faster touring car around at the moment, with BTCC and WTCC being mostly production based, and V8 supercar being lumbering beast of a race car that they are...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I think if they were to race on a place like Le Mans or something GT1 car will be faster....you give them enough straight to stretch the legs of the engine and the power comes into its own...DTM car is not exactly free either since most components are spec for both model. There is no doubt though DTM is the faster touring car around at the moment, with BTCC and WTCC being mostly production based, and V8 supercar being lumbering beast of a race car that they are...
    Completely agree. I used that track as the first to come to mind where they both raced.
    Also, what I meant with the restrictions on the GT1 cars is that the same cars used to be faster, with special regard to the MC12, and received every years since their debuts more and more restrictions.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,457
    Heh, MC12 is just one big blunder in itself....not sure what Ferrari were thinking when they built that....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Heh, MC12 is just one big blunder in itself....not sure what Ferrari were thinking when they built that....
    Don't forget about Dallara as well.
    It proved to be unbeatable, even if it missed the big deal, Le Mans.

    Even the C6.R are slower now though as well as the others. About one second in a short track as the Adria circuit.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    and what about Super GT cars then?
    I always considered DTM cars a bit off the line, so I guess we could consider the Japanese championships as well...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    95616
    Posts
    5,356
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    and what about Super GT cars then?
    I always considered DTM cars a bit off the line, so I guess we could consider the Japanese championships as well...
    Super GT> GT1. Team Goh had a Maserati MC12 they were planning to run, but even that couldn't keep up with the Super GT-spec NSX they were using. However, this is only the GT500 class. There is a GT300 class which, if I remember, runs cars like the 911 GT3.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Super GT> GT1. Team Goh had a Maserati MC12 they were planning to run, but even that couldn't keep up with the Super GT-spec NSX they were using. However, this is only the GT500 class. There is a GT300 class which, if I remember, runs cars like the 911 GT3.
    That MC12 had to sustain heavy modifications to comply with the GT500 rules, mods it wasn't designed to sustain, and even achieving higherspeeds, the downforce for the corners was compromised if compared to the purposedly built GT500 cars.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,457
    Super GT (500 class)car to normal GT to me is like what DTM is to normal Touring car.....extra downforce and purpose built chassis. They are as fast as LMP cars in some tracks(maybe not LMP of today, but maybe 4-5 years ago). The MC12 that was tried as GT500 was as fast as the 1997 CLK-GTR at Vallenuga(sp?), but was not fast enough to compete with regular GT500 car...worth to remember too that Super GT also has tire war going on...

    GT300 is a bit odd, you have some normal GT3 RSR and whatnot, and then you have the purpose built cars like Moonlight Shiden(Daytona Prototype based) or the Celica or MR Spyder, and then you have the detuned FIA GT1 cars like the Viper GTS-R before....not sure whats going on there...
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 10-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    136
    DTM is probably the ultimate touring car. The DTMs are indeed faster than FIA GT1 around the Istanbul Park circuit where the F1 is held. Only F1, GP2 and LMP are faster. However this isn't entirely surprising. Touring cars in general seem to be more purpose built than GT cars. i.e DTM is about the same as if not faster than GT1 whereas S2000 is about the same as GT3.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,315
    Quote Originally Posted by group c n b man View Post
    DTM is probably the ultimate touring car. The DTMs are indeed faster than FIA GT1 around the Istanbul Park circuit where the F1 is held. Only F1, GP2 and LMP are faster. However this isn't entirely surprising. Touring cars in general seem to be more purpose built than GT cars. i.e DTM is about the same as if not faster than GT1 whereas S2000 is about the same as GT3.
    DTM is not a touring car at all. It is, what is called a silhouette racing car, a fully fledged front engined GT car, provided with a body intended to make people believe that they are watching a daily driver. (The good old NASCAR philosophy). In this respect the BMW M3 GT4 is a much "ultimate touring car", with the driver sitting where he sits in the road car, and the engine not shifted backwards by half a meter or so.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    DTM is not a touring car at all. It is, what is called a silhouette racing car, a fully fledged front engined GT car, provided with a body intended to make people believe that they are watching a daily driver. (The good old NASCAR philosophy). In this respect the BMW M3 GT4 is a much "ultimate touring car", with the driver sitting where he sits in the road car, and the engine not shifted backwards by half a meter or so.
    Good idea to call in GT4 cars.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 135
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 03:50 AM
  2. F1 Technology Overrated?
    By What in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 01:06 PM
  3. Chevrolet Corvette (C6) Indy 500 Pace Cars
    By Gt1Street in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 01:34 AM
  5. Cars are getting faster...
    By Godlaus in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 04:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •