Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is My Dream A Possibility?

Is My Dream A Possibility?

Working for a rentacar company, I have a serious fantasy about starting a tuning company (Brabus style) and taking the Chevy Matiz as my base model.

Fitting it with a turbo charged version of its 800cc engine, the second step would be to stiffen the suspension. The Matiz has horrendously vague steering and body roll.

Thing is, my pal at work seems to think that fitting a stiff set up with a stiff anti roll bar could be lethal in a car with such a short wheelbase. I understand that if its too stiff and not rolling, the wheels can 'skip'. This could ultimately lead to it rolling over! But how do cars like the Panda 100 get away with it? Are my dreams shattered?

Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    Working for a rentacar company, I have a serious fantasy about starting a tuning company (Brabus style) and taking the Chevy Matiz as my base model.

Fitting it with a turbo charged version of its 800cc engine, the second step would be to stiffen the suspension. The Matiz has horrendously vague steering and body roll.

Thing is, my pal at work seems to think that fitting a stiff set up with a stiff anti roll bar could be lethal in a car with such a short wheelbase. I understand that if its too stiff and not rolling, the wheels can 'skip'. This could ultimately lead to it rolling over! But how do cars like the Panda 100 get away with it? Are my dreams shattered?
    Apparently the Panda can get on two wheels quite easily.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Suzuki Ignis, this is after the company fixed the suspensions because during a review done by italian magazine Quattroruote the tail was completely suspended during the braking test.
    Enjoy:

KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Haha! Thats almost as bad as the A Class that rolled over!

forget the matiz, make the suzki swift gti the fans have been waiting for haha.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

More importantly, why would you want to tune a Matiz at all?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That Ignis looks like fun!

Where's that picture of the extremely wide rear engined Twingo when you need it..

Edit: Ahh...

[ame="http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?p=77541#post77541"][/ame]

Click for moar..

Maybe thats the solution. However, I don't think my customers could afford new tyres at their next service!

Well, they did it with the 6R4

Had to laugh at this one of the Matiz. A bit too hardcore..

Last edited by TheScrutineer; 10-13-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Anything's a possibility, given enough effort. But why just one model, and why the Matiz?
    Are you talking about tube-framed mid-engined beasts, or just ricing up a tiny hatch?

Who is your proposed market? Have you demographics of current buyers, and engineering
    sources to make something attractive to that group?

Sell us. If you can convince this forum of what you propose, you are golden.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Sell us. If you can convince this forum of what you propose, you are golden.
    I highly second this notion. This community would be harsh critics and if UCP has your back then the idea would for sure sell.

This is no mid engined hardcore mash up. We've taken the base model Matiz and spiced things up. Sitting at a slightly lower stance with its 13", slightly wider wheels the Matiz R is the ultimate supermini. Suspension and steering has been stiffened, changing the handling charecteristics of this small car dramatically. Precise inputs reward you with great feedback and quick direction change. Enjoy ultra small stopping distances thanks to cross drilled discs all round with carbon composite pads as standard. This mix allows you to enjoy the braking of a racecar without worrying about temperatures!

At the heart sits a now turbo charged engine. Taking the standard 3 cylinder lump, we have bored it out to 950cc. Racing cams and conrods help it develop 83bhp@7000rpm and a whopping 112 NM of torque. 0-60mph comes in 8.5 seconds. Topspeed, 125mph.

Much of the body remains unchanged apart from no plastic side trims and a silver 'R' badge on the front and back. Xenon headlights are an optional extra.

Inside the cabin has seen quiet a change. Upon a woven carbon fibre affect driver and passenger compartment lies chrome dials and a digital revometer. Unlike the standard Matiz, the dials are now located in front of the driver, where as the warning lights have been placed in the central position. The standard steering wheel remains, albeit this time with a painted Chevy logo with a silver R badge. Half leather seats are standard with Recaros as an option. The standard Blaupunkt entertainment system remains. A chrome gear knob finishes off this new lease of life for the interior.

"The steering is direct and superb, its dying to be chucked into corners" - Tiff Needell, 5th Gear

All this for a staggering £9,999! Hurry to your local dealership today. Remember, the first 100 UK cars come with a signed logbook from 2009 BTCC Runner Up, RML Chevrolet driver Jason Plato!
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 10-14-2009 at 03:44 AM.

This maybe?

Attached Images Attached Images

Swift GTi engine and gearbox mounts are almost compatible with the F8B engine, the predecessor of the F8C engine in the Matiz. This engine is fitted to almost all Suzuki Alto's since the 80's..

Keep in mind the Matiz is on the market for a while now and could be phased out in not too much time I'd suggest some thorough market research before you start spending money, I doubt this would be a business opportunity. Taking a Polo or something would be much more worth the chance..

Some cars should be left the way their creator intended.

No one will stand in my way I tell you!

Thread Information