Thread: The Billionaire's Empire Strikes Back!!

The Billionaire's Empire Strikes Back!!

Just in from this link

According to information appearing in today’s Journal du Dimanche, Flavio Briatore has confirmed that tomorrow he will commence proceedings in the Paris Tribunal de Grande Instance (High Court) challenging the decision announced by the FIA World Motor Sport Council on 21st September 2009.

The principal grounds for this action are:

The FIA’s deliberate breach of the rights of the defence FIA including
    · the delay in the issue of the summons;
    · the failure to state the charges in advance;
    · the lack of access provided to prosecution documents and to the key witness;

Breach of the rules of natural justice including
    · the lack of impartiality of the body passing judgment;
    · the secret negotiation of the decision content before the hearing; and
    · the granting of selective immunities in order to build the prosecution’s case;

The FIA’s manifest excess and abuse of power including
    · the penalty imposed on a non-licensee of the FIA;
    · the disproportionate and illegal nature of an indefinite boycott decision; and
    · the threat to refuse to renew the FIA licence in breach of the Federation’s regulations and of the International Sporting Code.

Flavio Briatore intends to obtain an Order from the Court quashing the FIA’s decision insofar as it
    relates to him, together with an Order, subject to a penalty for non-compliance, requiring the
    Federation to withdraw any penalty imposed on him. He is also seeking damages and official
    publication of the court’s decision.

Flavio Briatore commented that “In this case, the FIA has been used as a tool to exact vengeance on
    behalf of one man. This decision is a legal absurdity and I have every confidence that the French
    courts will resolve the matter justly and impartially”.
    I think that it will be an interesting period, until the ruling is made. It will get EVEN more interesting if Vatanen succeeds Mosley
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Looks like the courtroom may be more interesting than the racetrack this year:-)

Never been a fan of Briatore, I use to dislike him actually, but in this whole story I think he has some good points.
    Consider I'm skeptical about all this sensationalism and astonishment around the fact Piquet had purposedly crashed. For how I know Formula 1, I'd say it was "foreseeable", and that the point of the whole thing wasn't to punish the act but Briatore himself.

Oh well, we'll see.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The general consensus was that Briatore was only handed the indefinite ban because of the stance he took against the allegations, unlike Symonds who acknowledged what he'd done. So i guess you can either use that as evidence that the punishment was a step beyond what it shouldve been, or that its still Briatores own doing.
    I am the Stig

The pain with these penalties is the same as all the penalties handed by the FIA to the drivers: Inconsistency. Immunity to Piquet and lifetime ban to Briatore. And in-between a 5 year ban to Symmonds.

Thread Information