Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 - issues, bugs, reviews, thoughts- SHARE

Windows 7 - issues, bugs, reviews, thoughts- SHARE

I was looking for this new OS in order to resurrect my old Asus (with a new HD).
    Downloaded the Ultimate 32 bit version, and installed in a 1.6 GHz Centrino with 768 Mb of RAM, 64 Mb of Video RAM , 30 Gb of storage.
    It was supposed to take 16 Gb to install the OS, but it actually was satisfied with 9 or so.

Everything is running smoothly and quickly so far, win 7 is faster on that 5 years old machine than Vista SP1 on my one and a half year old Celeron...

The thing is, the wireless network doesn't work.
    The good old LAN connection runs perfectly, while the Wi-Fi connection either doesn't see any network or it doesn't manage to connect to it.
    The weird thing is that it doesn't see other wireless networks that are active over here, from my neighbors (at least 3, 4 with mine).

I've already run Win Update, downloaded drivers and looked for help in more indicated forums, with zero results.

So here I am, asking for suggestions. I thought everyone could post here their issues or reviews about the new OS, so feel free to share your thoughts.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

My school is preparing a complete image that will be ready at the beginning of the spring semester, so for now I'm stuck with Vista.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Max OSX Snow Leopard for me (10.6) or good old XP though i'd like to try out #7
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I have been using 7 for quite a few months now and it's fantastic, can't fault it. I had no issues with any hardware though so I can't offer you any help. Is it in a PC? Wireless cards hardly cost anything, try another?
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka View Post
    I have been using 7 for quite a few months now and it's fantastic, can't fault it. I had no issues with any hardware though so I can't offer you any help. Is it in a PC? Wireless cards hardly cost anything, try another?
    it's an old laptop, I removed the broken LCD screen and connected my old CRT monitor, so it's completely free. I have add a bit of RAM from another dead laptop. The wireless cars is built in the Intel Centrino package, so I found it a bit weird that it isn't working.

i dled it on release day, and havent had a single issue with it. i like it a lot better than Vista, although I've never really had an issue with it. and i cant help you either with the wifi issue.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I can't say I've had any major problems with 7 either during the past half a year, first the beta and now RC. Of course for some parts the drivers are a bit old, (Ati vga card in a couple years old Asus notebook), but that was the case with Vista too. I never hated Vista (actually I prefer it over XP), but 7 seems better in every way.

What wireless card is it? Have you tried the Vista drivers directly from Intel?

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    What wireless card is it? Have you tried the Vista drivers directly from Intel?
    Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter.
    Downloaded everything I found at Intel, didn't work.

So far I like it, it's better than Vista which wasn't that bad, just damn heavy.
    Thing is right now I have a 20 meters ethernet cable crossing my house...
    I still have to update the HP laptop (which I'm using right now).

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter.
    Downloaded everything I found at Intel, didn't work.
    Too bad Asus isn't very interested in keeping their support site up to date when it comes to older models. I have an F3Ja, and for some of the chips and cards in it there's no driver listed on Asus' support site. But those missing drivers can be found when searching under a different model...

I don't know if that works in your case though, but it's worth a try checking if there's some sister models that might have Vista drivers.

Ive ordered the 64 bit Professional for $29.99 (student discount for the win) I'm waiting for the disk to do a clean install. It's time to clean this monster of a dell out anyway.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I've been running the release version for a couple of months now, I like it. It's like Vista, only it works properly.

On the wireless thing, did it work with a different Windows? You mention the screen is gone, a lot of laptops have their wireless antennas in the screen... Also, to check the basics.. is the wireless physically switched on?

Apple's commercials targeted against Windows 7 are kind of pathetic I think, on a somewhat unrelated boredom post
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I've been running the release version for a couple of months now, I like it. It's like Vista, only it works properly.

On the wireless thing, did it work with a different Windows? You mention the screen is gone, a lot of laptops have their wireless antennas in the screen... Also, to check the basics.. is the wireless physically switched on?
    You Sir, 10 points and one cookie.
    The hardware is on, and the connection works every now and then (mostly then), but just for a few seconds or minutes.
    Signal quality is generally very low, while the other computer has a perfect signal at the same distance. Sometimes the signal quality is perfect, but it doesn't connect in that cases.

Does this exclude the antenna being in the monitor?
    (I physically cut all the wires from the screen to the laptop as the bitch was difficult to open, I'm a true pro...).

(I physically cut all the wires from the screen to the laptop as the bitch was difficult to open, I'm a true pro...).
    You will need this then

You Sir, 10 points and one cookie.
    The hardware is on, and the connection works every now and then (mostly then), but just for a few seconds or minutes.
    Signal quality is generally very low, while the other computer has a perfect signal at the same distance. Sometimes the signal quality is perfect, but it doesn't connect in that cases.

Does this exclude the antenna being in the monitor?
    Given it seems to be a signal reception issue.. I'd say you're boned, unfortunately. Do they still make PC Express wi-fi cards?

Thread Information