Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW 5-Series (F10) Sedan 2010-2015

As usual, first the normal car, than the M. Yes, V8, twin turbo, and autobox it seems.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    As usual, first the normal car, than the M. Yes, V8, twin turbo, and autobox it seems.
    Thankfully there will always be available the old/classic/2nd cars for people who really care about those things.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I was just reading Jalopnik and Hell for Leather and they were talking about a new Inline-6 engine for a new BMW bike. Jalopnik's (and Hell for Leather's) Wes Siler said it's funny to see BMW acknowledging an I6 in a bike while in recent memory moving away form it in cars.

Let us pray to the car gods that BMW never makes a V6.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I was just reading Jalopnik and Hell for Leather and they were talking about a new Inline-6 engine for a new BMW bike. Jalopnik's (and Hell for Leather's) Wes Siler said it's funny to see BMW acknowledging an I6 in a bike while in recent memory moving away form it in cars.

Let us pray to the car gods that BMW never makes a V6.
    That would very possibly be the end of BMW as far as we are concerned.
    Visca Catalunya!

Speaking of BMW, I'm curious as to why BMW has adopted the turbocharging route for it's performance I6s, and why they haven't gone the displacement route. Is it that the engine would be too long/big in general to fit in the chassis and make packaging problems? V6s are getting big - Acura's 3.7, Infiniti's 3.7, Hyundai's 3.8... Yet BMW sticks with a relatively small (although observant to hellcat's ideal engine law - ideal engine size is when each cylinder is 500ccs ie a V8 is 4L, a I6 is 3L etc.) 3L engine (albeit twin-turbocharged) in it's performance 6 cylinder engine.

Since when was BMW a forced induction company? I appreciate that it's twin sequential turbos running at low pressure to keep down the lag, but I still would think an ideal BMW would be naturally aspirated.

Powerwise though, the 330 hp that the 335i is meant to be putting out keeps it competitive with Infiniti and Acura here in North America, and well, it still retains the famous BMW driving dynamics which the critics seem to think give it the edge over say, the G37 when price is no object.

Well I've kinda gone off topic and on a rant, but I'd be curious as to know what you guys have to say about this.

Force induction I think is just more efficient, and gives you more variable to control the combustion cycle.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Speaking of BMW, I'm curious as to why BMW has adopted the turbocharging route for it's performance I6s, and why they haven't gone the displacement route. Is it that the engine would be too long/big in general to fit in the chassis and make packaging problems? V6s are getting big - Acura's 3.7, Infiniti's 3.7, Hyundai's 3.8... Yet BMW sticks with a relatively small (although observant to hellcat's ideal engine law - ideal engine size is when each cylinder is 500ccs ie a V8 is 4L, a I6 is 3L etc.) 3L engine (albeit twin-turbocharged) in it's performance 6 cylinder engine.

Since when was BMW a forced induction company? I appreciate that it's twin sequential turbos running at low pressure to keep down the lag, but I still would think an ideal BMW would be naturally aspirated.

Powerwise though, the 330 hp that the 335i is meant to be putting out keeps it competitive with Infiniti and Acura here in North America, and well, it still retains the famous BMW driving dynamics which the critics seem to think give it the edge over say, the G37 when price is no object.

Well I've kinda gone off topic and on a rant, but I'd be curious as to know what you guys have to say about this.
    BMW is a turbocharged company since the 2002 Turbo launched in 1973.

I'd personally prefer normally aspirated engines over turbocharged engines, but the 3 litre twin turbo straight six is an excellent piece of kit (as is the normally aspirated 3 litre).
    Visca Catalunya!

How would you justify your superior technical stuff if you just enlarge your engines?
    Also, EU is more about smaller engines than US, and a 3.7 liter over here is damn huge (despite we do get the Viper, of course), and there are really just a few 3.0 biturbo Bimmers. Probably 90% of larger engines frmo BMW are diesel in Europe.

How would you justify your superior technical stuff if you just enlarge your engines?
    Because it haz moaaar powaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Because it haz moaaar powaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!
    The turbocharged engines have also moar torque, so Yankees should be happy too

That said, no one would buy (over here) a 3 series with a 4.0 liter engine, M3 excluded, but 300 bhp are quite atractive.

Also, in Italy the insurance cost is calculated on the displacement, and it doesn't consider turbochargers or superchargers (Exige S FTW edition, out now!).

The turbocharged engines have also moar torque, so Yankees should be happy too

That said, no one would buy (over here) a 3 series with a 4.0 liter engine, M3 excluded, but 300 bhp are quite atractive.

Also, in Italy the insurance cost is calculated on the displacement, and it doesn't consider turbochargers or superchargers (Exige S FTW edition, out now!).
    Let's be brutally honest here. No one buys a 335i in Europe. Even 330is are very rare.

The turbos, as you repeated to me several times, are there only to produce atractive fuel mileage numbers.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Let's be brutally honest here. No one buys a 335i in Europe. Even 330is are very rare.

The turbos, as you repeated to me several times, are there only to produce atractive fuel mileage numbers.
    Turbos just enhance the efficiency, it's up to them to decide to go for more power or mileage.

I saw a few x35i, a very few. Even x35d are rare though.

Turbos just enhance the efficiency, it's up to them to decide to go for more power or mileage.

I saw a few x35i, a very few. Even x35d are rare though.
    Of course, here as I'm sure is the case in italy it's x20d galore.
    Visca Catalunya!

BMW knows how to use a turbo and use it well. They said recently never to use a supercharger. Their engines are magical and are so smooth and linear the way they put out the power. their powerband is so broad. Turbo's do make lots of sense these days. BMW went 3.2L on the E46 M3 engine. I think a 3.5L I6 is just too big. Nissan only used a 2.8L I6 in the RB engine.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    BMW knows how to use a turbo and use it well. They said recently never to use a supercharger. Their engines are magical and are so smooth and linear the way they put out the power. their powerband is so broad. Turbo's do make lots of sense these days. BMW went 3.2L on the E46 M3 engine. I think a 3.5L I6 is just too big. Nissan only used a 2.8L I6 in the RB engine.
    BMW went up to 3,8 litres in the late M5 E34.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information