Thread: The first Alfa Romeo Grand Prix racer, Gordini reborn, first look new Volvo S60 ...

The first Alfa Romeo Grand Prix racer, Gordini reborn, first look new Volvo S60 ...

During the 1924 French Grand Prix the Bugatti Type 35 made its international racing debut. Although it would go on to become the most successful racing car ever constructed, it was thoroughly outpaced by the equally new Alfa Romeo P2. The two Alfa Romeos looked set to take a one-two win in the world-class field until Antonio Ascari's engine broke with three laps to go. His team-mate Giuseppe Campari held on to record Alfa Romeo's first win in a major Grand Prix. The P2 continued to dominate and Alfa Romeo became the very first World Champion in 1925. Although no longer eligible for the international events, the Grand Prix car was raced for several more seasons, scoring a further ten wins. The crowning win came in 1930 when Achille Varzi added the Targa Florio to the Alfa Romeo's tally. Responsible for the design of the brilliant racer was Vittorio Jano, who had been lured from rivals Fiat by a young Enzo Ferrari. The P2 used a twin-cam, supercharged straight-eight engine installed in a very light but sturdy frame. Today two examples still exist and we have taken a closer look at the Grand Prix version that is still owned by Alfa Romeo.
    The Alfa Romeo P2 feature also serves as the introduction of our heavily revised 'Major Wins' section in the cars' spec tables. As you'll be able to see you can click on the years and races to get the results for that season or event over the years respectively. It is still very much a work in progress and the results' database is still growing rapidly.
    Both Volvo and Renault revealed teasers this week of upcoming models. The clearest are the first pictures of the all new Volvo S60, which is set to debut during next year's Geneva Motor Show. On the 25th of this month Renault will revive the legendary Gordini brand with the introduction of the Twingo Gordini RS. The picture supplied only reveals the wheels but rest assured, the car will be bright blue. A Gordini version of the Clio and Megane will follow in due time.
    At the recent SEMA Show, American tuner Lingenfelter had a go at bringing back another legendary machine; the Pontiac Trans Am. Using a 2010 Camaro as a donor they created the 455 T/A Concept. Its retro looks are backed up by a 655 bhp V8.

Enjoy the links:

1924 - 1925 Alfa Romeo P2 - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Lingenfelter 455 T/A Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Renault Twingo Gordini RS - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Volvo S60 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I have added a few more options to the winners section. From now you can also sort the results in the database per driver:

Ultimatecarpage.com - Wins by Michael Schumacher

Ultimatecarpage.com - Wins by Stirling Moss
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Nice ... but HOW do you get to it from the menu options ?

I found Ultimatecarpage.com - Wins by jackie stewart only by editing the link myself to change the name

WHat am I missing ?????? ( brain cells is NOT an acceptable response and will result in a "glaesga kiss" )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Nice ... but HOW do you get to it from the menu options ?

I found Ultimatecarpage.com - Wins by jackie stewart only by editing the link myself to change the name

WHat am I missing ?????? ( brain cells is NOT an acceptable response and will result in a "glaesga kiss" )
    You are right. It still needs work.

(Ted Joans)

for sure as it only lists JYS's GP wins

HOwever, a good start
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

^^^WTF? A DVD sale?

Great coverage as always, Wouter. Look forward to utilizing the driver records data.

Love the shots of the P2, excellent reporting. The 455 T/A Concept is interesting, and by coincidence my journalist buddy just covered an event at which another Lingenfelter 'Vette scattered its innards on track during a high speed run. Seems like they don't like being run at the limit for very long... 4th one I've heard of recently. Blowed up REAL good.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information