Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Hilux Surf (4Runner) buying

Toyota Hilux Surf (4Runner) buying

Hi all! Haven't been on here in a while. Bit of an update, sold my Diamante (for a massive loss) and now lookin to buy something else.

Toyota HILUX SURF 2LT 1991 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand Got my eye on this Hilux Surf (or 4runner as its known in America), just wondering if anyone with a bit more mechanical nous than me can run the rule over the gearbox sometimes popping out of 1st gear, whether that could lead to more serious problems, and the faulty wheel bearing (how much it'd cost to fix, or if I could do it myself).

cheers!

....Hi, Welcome Back.

I see you lost your mind. did you need a Hilux surf for any particular reason? would a Regular Hilux not do?

Also, Popping out of gear on a Toyota? wow, previous owner must have been epic failure.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Hilux Surf is far cheaper than a Hilux for a start. Its got diesel reliability and economy, so isn't that crazy of an idea.

It has over 200k klicks and is 18 years old. How long is it gonna last? It costs 1,800 bucks but how much will repairs cost?

Also, it pops out of first gear.

Why would you want this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    sold my Diamante (for a massive loss) and now lookin to buy something else.
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out

Have you driven a Surf before? A mate lent me his 4x4 petrol (same model-gen as the Top Gear indestructible) and by god was it awful to drive - glacially slow and more than eager to roll over at every opportunity. It had a cramped interior and the brakes were diabolical.

Talk about unsafe. Unless full-on 'offroad' use was a prerequisite (and no alternative was available) I honestly wouldn't own one in a fit.

I would seriously check for rust too.

They disintegrate really fast.

Dad has a Hilux Surf himself. I've been driving it a bit since my cars gone, its not exactly a Ferrari but its quick enough and the body roll is reasonable. Big difference between first and second generation Hilux Surfs, first one was basically a ute with a built in canopy, second one ditched leaf springs in the rear in favor of coils as well as a few other things.

Kitdy, 220,000km for a Toyota diesel is barely run in. Would do twice that easily.
    Last edited by Spastik_Roach; 11-29-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    ....Hi, Welcome Back.

I see you lost your mind. did you need a Hilux surf for any particular reason? would a Regular Hilux not do?

Also, Popping out of gear on a Toyota? wow, previous owner must have been epic failure.
    The surf has the same running gear as a hilux except with a different body shape, have you ever driven one ? worked on one ?
    Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out

Have you driven a Surf before? A mate lent me his 4x4 petrol (same model-gen as the Top Gear indestructible) and by god was it awful to drive - glacially slow and more than eager to roll over at every opportunity. It had a cramped interior and the brakes were diabolical.

Talk about unsafe. Unless full-on 'offroad' use was a prerequisite (and no alternative was available) I honestly wouldn't own one in a fit.
    Nota the gen 1 are ordinary but any 4wd of that vintage be it nissan, ford etc have the same dynamics eg ordinary handling useless brakes, the petrol engine in the gen1 is a boat anchor, thirsty and prone to h/g issues.

Hi all! Haven't been on here in a while. Bit of an update, sold my Diamante (for a massive loss) and now lookin to buy something else.

Toyota HILUX SURF 2LT 1991 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand Got my eye on this Hilux Surf (or 4runner as its known in America), just wondering if anyone with a bit more mechanical nous than me can run the rule over the gearbox sometimes popping out of 1st gear, whether that could lead to more serious problems, and the faulty wheel bearing (how much it'd cost to fix, or if I could do it myself).

cheers!
    Spastik, spend a little extra on one with 1kzte engine with the auto its a 3 litre turbo diesel, with great torque and resonable economy. The 2.4 diesel is a dog painfully slow and also has head gasket issues. The gen2 surfs are mechanically good if they are looked after. The ones in Aust with the 3litre t/d are slightly marginal on cooling but a prado radiator fixes the issue in New Zealand the temps wont be a problem.

I have had 2 surfs and if I could import another gen4 I would buy one. The first one was a gen 2 with the diesel and my current one is a gen 3 with the 5vzfe (3.4 V6), its been agreat bus has 270,000 on the clock and hasnt missed a beat. Im meticulous on servicing and it gets oil every 10k and filter oil at 20k, new Toyota coolant every 2 years. Spend the extra as you get what you pay for in the long run you will be in front.

The one your looking at looks like its had a hard life, as I said previously get a 3litre T/D with the auto, a much nicer thing.

Something like this would be very nice spastik
    Toyota Surf SSR-G 1993 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

and if you could post me this one I would be a very happy camper
    Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X 2004 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Dads one is a 1995 SSR-G with the 3 litre diesel and the auto. Don't have the money to get one of those I'm afraid! I'll have a look at it tonight anyway but will bare advice in mind. Apparently some of the 2.4's got recalled and got fitted with 2.8 heads? Bit of a long shot but no harm in checking it out.

cheers!
    Shift Lever Seat Replacement - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

and

5speed pops out of gear HELP - YotaTech Forums

should sort out any issues with the gearing.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Cheers. Had a look at it tonight. 1st doesn't pop out very often and if you hold gearstick it'll stay in. Not necessarily the wheel bearing thats broken either. Vague noise coming from the wheel apparently (I couldn't hear it). Anywho its getting checked over by a local mechanic tomorrow. 2.4 turbo diesel isn't that slow charged! Once its hits the turbo you're fine, just gotta work the gears a bit.

Cheers. Had a look at it tonight. 1st doesn't pop out very often and if you hold gearstick it'll stay in.
    I wouldn't imagine you'd spend much time in 1st anyway.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I wouldn't imagine you'd spend much time in 1st anyway.
    Not much time, but when you need it you miss it.. my mini used to pop out of first too, taking off up a hill in second was murder ont he clutch. Funnily enough, it would stay in first much better if I was still moving forward when I selected it.

Looks like the biddings going to go up for it way out of my price range judging by the interest in it so doubt I'm gunna be buying it now. Looking at a 1994 Accord tomorrow.

What happened to the Diamante?

Thread Information