Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

2010 Petit LeMans kicks off next week....here's the entry list.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2010/event...%20Entries.pdf

Audi have likely called off ALMS prototype plans, but plans on going through with the R8 LMS for the ALMS and Grand Am: AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Audi Cancels 2011 Plans - SPEEDtv.com
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

That is not good news. That means that they will do the Intercontinental cup, and possibly some of the early LMS races, to test the R18 under race circumstances.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Audi's presence in the ALMS would've also helped IMSA's cause, as the LMP field has been lacking in a large number of quality LMP entries. Only Highcroft, Intersport and Dyson have been fielding all-pro lineups with up to pace drivers all year. Intersport and Dyson have been saddled down with unreliable AER engines, and Cytosport has been competive, but have only been at their best when Pickett, who is a professional but has not always been quite on the pace consistantly, wasn't in the car.

But then again, need I refer one to 2000-2002 when factory R8s were raced and in '06 when factory R10s were raced before the LMP2 cars were equalized to generate good racing? A factory Audi squad would've steam-rolled over the oppostion as it stands now, just as Audi and Peugeot will do next weekend.

There has been good racing in the ALMS this year-way better than the LMS races without the factory Audi and Peugeot teams. But IMSA would like Audi back in the Series ASAP because of the money and marketing they can bring, as well as maybe trying to bait factory teams back in the LMP classes.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

I have to say, the racing this year in ALMS has not been "bad" per se, the lack of big name cars deters me to want to go to the track to check out the cars, but the racing itself has been pretty exciting. Still, it sucks that Audi is not committing....here is hoping though maybe Aston will....maybe someone else...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I don't go crazy for the LMP's, I like them and they are amazing but tbh if the whole field was GT2's I'd be perfectly happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I don't go crazy for the LMP's, I like them and they are amazing but tbh if the whole field was GT2's I'd be perfectly happy.
    I'd probably prefer a big one class series, or two somewhat large classes. If there were say 10-15 GTs and 8-12 LMPs, that'd be pretty cool.

Four classes is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Four classes is too much.
    I felt that four classes were just fine back when it was healthy population of LMP1/LMP2 and GT1/GT2; but that was a different era of when there was much economic prosperity.

The ALMS structure today is all mishmash (GT2 class aside) with the LMPC running at speeds comparable to GT2, the combination of LMP1 and LMP2 into one inconsistent class, and the GTC class which would be fine if they just made it into a GT3 class and included most variety other than Porsche Cups.

Thank god for GT2 class or this would all be a lukewarm season repeat of last year.
    "Bad news, everyone. You're not good enough to go on your next mission." - Professor Farnsworth

P1 P2 in one class wasn't that bad of an idea, all things considered the P2 cars in ALMS are much faster than their "intended" classification as shown mostly in Europe, and with most NA tracks being slower than their European counterpart the cars tend to run pretty close even when they were separate classes in 06-08. The problem I think individually they just can't muster enough cars to fill a class. Even if Audi is here you'll get maybe 4 cars in P1(2 Audi, Drayson, and Autocon), so you have a default Audi 1-2 plus 1 more. If you put the field in 06-08 in one class you'll get the Penske, Dyson, Acuras plus those P1s fighting for the win, which they were anyway....

The way the ACO's rule was written they never accounted for factory developed P2s, which under their weight and power, is more than a match for P1s once you put them on tracks where the big diesels can stretch their legs, and P2 gets good mileage on them anyway once you throw Porsche DI V8 into the mix...

The problem obviously was the lack of participants altogether....and this is not isolated in ALMS, even in LMS they are running the challenge cars to bolster field...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Problem with that assesment is that the ALMS have 3 out of the top 5 fastest ALMS/LMS/ILMC tracks currently with Mosport, Road Atlanta and Road America, all three of which are considerably faster than most LMS tracks aside from Spa (likely just as fast), and Monza and Le Mans, which are so fast because of the straights.

Most LMS tracks are F1 cirucits that have either been neutered by Bernie and Max, or are boring circuits designed by Tilke at Uncle Bernie's request, which put aminities for VIPs above the racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    Problem with that assesment is that the ALMS have 3 out of the top 5 fastest ALMS/LMS/ILMC tracks currently with Mosport, Road Atlanta and Road America, all three of which are considerably faster than most LMS tracks aside from Spa (likely just as fast), and Monza and Le Mans, which are so fast because of the straights.

Most LMS tracks are F1 cirucits that have either been neutered by Bernie and Max, or are boring circuits designed by Tilke at Uncle Bernie's request, which put aminities for VIPs above the racing.
    Average speed I think is not necessarily the same as out right speed. European tracks with their long straights suits the big engine cars. P2 car does not lack cornering speed and grip compare to the P1s, but they have much less power vs their aero platform. Around places like Mosport, the car rarely slow down too much, which plays to the advantage of the P2 car in they can use their grip and keep their speed up. P2 hurts the most when you need to cover a long straight at top speed, and when you need to do a lot of acceleration out of slow corner. Both of which are tend to be the thing about a lot of F1 tracks now....

Road America is a bit strange as far as the P2 goes. I remember in 2007 or 2008 when P2 car won, I thought that was a bit odd since it has 3 long-ish straight(one up hill), but that year Audi also got the whole tank size reduction and P2 car actually has longer range....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    P1 P2 in one class wasn't that bad of an idea, all things considered the P2 cars in ALMS are much faster than their "intended" classification as shown mostly in Europe, and with most NA tracks being slower than their European counterpart the cars tend to run pretty close even when they were separate classes in 06-08. The problem I think individually they just can't muster enough cars to fill a class. Even if Audi is here you'll get maybe 4 cars in P1(2 Audi, Drayson, and Autocon), so you have a default Audi 1-2 plus 1 more. If you put the field in 06-08 in one class you'll get the Penske, Dyson, Acuras plus those P1s fighting for the win, which they were anyway....

The way the ACO's rule was written they never accounted for factory developed P2s, which under their weight and power, is more than a match for P1s once you put them on tracks where the big diesels can stretch their legs, and P2 gets good mileage on them anyway once you throw Porsche DI V8 into the mix...

The problem obviously was the lack of participants altogether....and this is not isolated in ALMS, even in LMS they are running the challenge cars to bolster field...
    I do agree with your points. It does make sense to combine classes and add the challenge classes to try and increase the competition and the size of the field, given the current economic climate and lack of funding for consistently fielded teams.

However, this may be a personal opinion but I do not like the new ALMS format at all. Combining LMP1 and LMP2 into one class seems to go against the spirit of LMP2 of having a prototype class dedicated for for privateers; excluding the RS Spyder of previous years. Also, the experiment of including the LMPC and GTC classes has proved to be lackluster racing, in my view. (Supercup races are far more exciting than the GTC class in ALMS) I don't see why the organizers try and incorporate GT3 racing for the privateers and amateurs; most of the makes fielded in Euro GT3 are sold in North America so from an advertising standpoint it could be feasible.

I could just be a disgruntled fan longing for years past but I can't complain too much; it could have been worse and the ALMS could have folded due to the economic crisis.
    "Bad news, everyone. You're not good enough to go on your next mission." - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    I do agree with your points. It does make sense to combine classes and add the challenge classes to try and increase the competition and the size of the field, given the current economic climate and lack of funding for consistently fielded teams.

However, this may be a personal opinion but I do not like the new ALMS format at all. Combining LMP1 and LMP2 into one class seems to go against the spirit of LMP2 of having a prototype class dedicated for for privateers; excluding the RS Spyder of previous years. Also, the experiment of including the LMPC and GTC classes has proved to be lackluster racing, in my view. (Supercup races are far more exciting than the GTC class in ALMS) I don't see why the organizers try and incorporate GT3 racing for the privateers and amateurs; most of the makes fielded in Euro GT3 are sold in North America so from an advertising standpoint it could be feasible.

I could just be a disgruntled fan longing for years past but I can't complain too much; it could have been worse and the ALMS could have folded due to the economic crisis.
    I would say just get rid of P1 and speed up the LMPC (they seem to have a strange balance of speed, it doesn't work) but I keep wanting P1 to come back. I think now the GTC is for privateers and P2 has to be factory effort to have a chance of competing. And yeah, one make GTC annoys me.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

One of the Pugs had a big off in the esses in night practice.

Lot of rain on and off today but dry in night practice.

The whole P2 made for Privateer thing was a mistake in ACO's part, since the 675 days when the first MG Lola hit the track it has been a mistake. Lighter car, slightly less power, same type of chassis/aero rule. It didn't take long for someone to figure out that the car can be made as fast as the P1 and can be racing for wins. It is always more expensive to make something lighter......Porsche would not have made a RS Spyder(or Acura with the ARX-01) if the math didn't work out for them to make a P2 car that can race and win against the diesel. And both made the conscious decision to compete in ALMS, where their power deficit is more than overcome by the car's overall perfromance.....

Lets see if the new LMP rules(3rd try) will turn P2 into a privateer class.....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 09-30-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information