Thread: UCP Awards 2009

I don't know if it's even worth doing it, no one seems to want them or care
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I thought that at least they used to be the pretext for some interesting car discussion. Which isn't here anymore somehow.

I guess pretty much everyone else disagrees.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I thought that at least they used to be the pretext for some interesting car discussion. Which isn't here anymore somehow.

I guess pretty much everyone else disagrees.
    I think the problem is that the awards discussion tended to quickly go off-topic, even if you would start off seriously. Perhaps if we would on the basis of the COTYs in the various parts of the world come up with 5 or 10 cars that could apply for the UCP COTY of the year it might be good enough. Selection of the cars would already be contentious, and so would be the ability to judge on all cars, since many are limited to certain parts of the world only. But may be we could try and see whether we have matured into a truly international group of car enthusiasts.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think the problem is that the awards discussion tended to quickly go off-topic, even if you would start off seriously. Perhaps if we would on the basis of the COTYs in the various parts of the world come up with 5 or 10 cars that could apply for the UCP COTY of the year it might be good enough. Selection of the cars would already be contentious, and so would be the ability to judge on all cars, since many are limited to certain parts of the world only. But may be we could try and see whether we have matured into a truly international group of car enthusiasts.
    Agreed. Let's at least do a COTY/COTD and some vote on the best cars of their classes.

Will do a COTY/COTD, sounds good enough. Not doing the other awards this year
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Will do a COTY/COTD, sounds good enough. Not doing the other awards this year
    I think that's the best idea. This is a forum to discuss cars, not people.

In my opinion COTD has the potential to be very interesting. There have been many worthy cars this decade.
    Visca Catalunya!

How about doing elimination rounds for COTY/COTD. Such as:

Start with 10 cars and vote, then take top the 5 and vote on those, and then take the top 3 and vote for the number one car.

It could make the voting more involving for members and make participating more fun.

Just a thought.

It could also give some cars opportunities that otherwise wouldn't have.
    Visca Catalunya!

Do you intend to start wth only 10 cars in both COTY and COTD, LTSmash? That would be very small number, I'd guess, until you suppose to divide voting by car class.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Do you intend to start wth only 10 cars in both COTY and COTD, LTSmash? That would be very small number, I'd guess, until you suppose to divide voting by car class.
    It was just an example. We can start with any number.

Who is going to take lead in getting this going? I think a COTY and COTD is in order at least.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    It was just an example. We can start with any number.

Who is going to take lead in getting this going? I think a COTY and COTD is in order at least.
    I think we could just create the threads and start from there.

If we agree that it should be for cars introduced in 2009 and between 2000 and 2009 respectively lets just get on with it.
    Visca Catalunya!

This is what I'm thinking

COTY/D: Start with 15 cars, then after voting we'll break it down to 5 cars, then 3, then the final poll where we'll have a winner

I guess we need some nomination threads
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    This is what I'm thinking

COTY/D: Start with 15 cars, then after voting we'll break it down to 5 cars, then 3, then the final poll where we'll have a winner

I guess we need some nomination threads
    Bust 'em out.

I say we just go with whichever car has the most votes - no runoff. Because then what happens is people go with their second choices which isn't how it should be done. You should vote for the one car you think is best - choosing a car far down on your list could upset the natural order of what would finish first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Bust 'em out.

I say we just go with whichever car has the most votes - no runoff. Because then what happens is people go with their second choices which isn't how it should be done. You should vote for the one car you think is best - choosing a car far down on your list could upset the natural order of what would finish first.
    Disagree because in a vote like car of the decade people will see Bugatti Veyron in a list of 15 cars and the Veyron will win in an absolute landslide. But, if it comes down to Veyron, Prius, and BMW 3 series for example it will likely be a closer vote.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Would it be possible to collect the following.?
    for the COTY: The nominations (shortlist) for the three main areas? (North America, Europe and Australia; if there is an Asian/Japanese COTY than those as well) That would give 10-15-20 cars to choose from.

For the COTD we could take the ten (nine?) winners from the same regions from 2000 to 2009 onwards.

This will save us an extensive selection procedure, whereby the first results can be expected by April 2011.

We will then most likely end up with a list of sensible cars. For the "fanboys" we may have to add a "supercar" category, of cars not suitable for every day operations.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information