Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Awards 2009

Yeah we need to (and since you are running them, you should probably have the final word) of making shortlists for the various awards.

I say forget best:
    - Best racetrack
    - Country with best motoring heritage

as frankly, they are dumb and not yearly. I think there should be one car of the year award as well. For thread of the year, maybe like last year, quality thread, and comedy thread of the year.

One thing we gotta hammer out for car of the year/decade is what cars are eligible. Does a car that started production in 1999 and went until 2005 count for car of the decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Yeah we need to (and since you are running them, you should probably have the final word) of making shortlists for the various awards.

I say forget best:
    - Best racetrack
    - Country with best motoring heritage

as frankly, they are dumb and not yearly. I think there should be one car of the year award as well. For thread of the year, maybe like last year, quality thread, and comedy thread of the year.

One thing we gotta hammer out for car of the year/decade is what cars are eligible. Does a car that started production in 1999 and went until 2005 count for car of the decade?
    Agreed on the best racetrack and country with best motoring heritage. Racetracks aren't made all that often, and the country with the best motoring heritage is so debatable that it'll probably come down to which country has the most members on UCP.

Good point(s), won't do those awards.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

car of the decade will be hard imo, even if limited to sportscars. GTR could go for both this and car of the year, thanks to newness and tech etc etc; GT3 could go for car of decade for being the benchmark for so long.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Why should it be limited to sportscars? The Mitsubishi i, the Toyota iQ and the new (old) Mini would all be worthy of the award, possibly more than many sportscars.

Altough compilating all the cars made this last decade might turn into a bit of a nightmare...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Why should it be limited to sportscars? The Mitsubishi i, the Toyota iQ and the new (old) Mini would all be worthy of the award, possibly more than many sportscars.
    Indeed. Although its a bit premature to adjudge this particular vehicle just yet, but you'd have to suspect the little Tata Nano will by itself hold far more significance and impact towards motoring, than the largely irrelevant hi-po sportscar sector.

By the way, how will it be done? Nominations and voting threads? Just voting?
    Visca Catalunya!

That being said Nota, the award may not be for the most signifigant car of the decade, but the best car of the decade. A lot of what the award means will rest on how it is defined by us (or Rocke); or if left open, how it is defined for by the voter. A car that does what it does best for what it is be the best car of the decade in which case a sportscar could be in the running.

I'm in favour of leaving it ambiguous and calling the award car of the decade and leaving it up to the voter to decide what that means.

What we need to work out though is the nomination process. With an award as important as car of the decade, maybe we could have multiple polls and take the winner from each, or by deliberation, knock down the list to 15 (or whatever the limit is in one poll) by consensus and then vote on that.

We need to get cracking then, because such thread are probably going to need a lot of discussion to decide the nominees. Without even checking with some database I can already think of ten worthy candidates, including everything from supercars to basic transportation.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    We need to get cracking then, because such thread are probably going to need a lot of discussion to decide the nominees. Without even checking with some database I can already think of ten worthy candidates, including everything from supercars to basic transportation.
    Yeah, car of the year is going to be a nightmare and I'm still not sure how it'll work out. I don't really like the way the nominations thread worked the past couple of years, seems to be a big mess. If anyone has ideas feel free to post them. I'll go pick up the recent Motor Trend Car of the Year issue and brainstorm by seeing what they did.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

So what is the deal? We need some more people to bang ideas off of.

Well, I guess nobody cares about the awards.

Awards suck. Bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Well, I guess nobody cares about the awards.
    Very good point. That being said, the actual awards threads last year were reasonably popular. I guess if there isn't interest though this doesn't need to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Awards suck. Bigtime.
    Wish I had the way with words like Man of Steel has.

Thread Information