Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus Locosts Alfa Romeo 159 SW TI

I love owning an Alfa Romeo!

!!!Dream spoiler alert!!!
    If you are considering to buy an Alfa Romeo 159, I guess you could stop reading now, and dream another place..

So, I told you about the turbo whistle a bit earlier in the thread.
    Yesterday I was driving from Oslo to Trondheim, and after 400 of the 500km's of my trip, the turbo made a little "jump" in revs, despite any increasing in throttle. I made my assumptions, this is normal, it's an italian car etc. Driving some 50km's further, the significant whistle was now turned into something way worse, making my back chill on every increase in throttle. It build pressure like normal, so it was still just a really bad sound at this point. In the last climb, some 20km's from home, it was really noticeable that the turbo really struggled, couldn't get it over 1bar in boost, and there was no much power gain when boost increased the little it managed.. On the top of the hill I got a engine warning, oil pressure warning, that requested me to stop and throw the keys out the window and run. Though, I am stubborn, and did a stop/start and the warning wasn't there anymore. So I drove her slowly to work which was not far away. The turbo is gone of course, probably bearings. Not going to speculate in it anymore. Luckily, I still have factory warranty on the car. So again, owning an Alfa is exactly what it always has been, and always will be. Thank god that the car is so pretty and good to drive, when she drives. If not, it would be up for sale, right after the turbo has been replaced

probably the general advice to let the engine idle for half a minute after stopping, to slow down the turbo is not so bad.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So to all those who said the 159 wasn't a proper Alfa Romeo, me included, here is proof that it definitely is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So to all those who said the 159 wasn't a proper Alfa Romeo, me included, here is proof that it definitely is.
    and all those other cars with turbo failures are in reality Alfa Romeos.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    probably the general advice to let the engine idle for half a minute after stopping, to slow down the turbo is not so bad.
    Yeah, that is an advice everyone should follow.

After closer inspection of the car, I can see that the rear of the car is all black of oil from the exhaust. So it may not be the bearings in the turbo as I first thought, but some oil lead that has burst in the turbo. Maybe the turbo has had to much to struggle with in the recent cold period. Talked to the dealer where I bought the car, and they could report other turbos that had failed/burst the last week, but not under driving and ideal engine temperature as in my case.

That spinning down of the turbo is really only needed on high performance cars or perhaps if you have really pushed the car right before shutting it down.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    That spinning down of the turbo is really only needed on high performance cars or perhaps if you have really pushed the car right before shutting it down.
    It's an Alfa, both criteria is present, at any given time.

The speed limit in Norway is 30 km/h, so neither seems likely.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    The speed limit in Norway is 30 km/h, so neither seems likely.
    I think you are too funny.

A little update.
    The turbo is now changed, and the car is better than ever. No noise from the new turbo, and I hope it stays that way. Though, it has a bit of oil stench inside the car, just as I start her up. It disappears as fast as I set of. The cat and DPF is probably full of oil from the turbo bust. Why this gives this oil stench inside the car when I start her up I don't really know.. I will drive it for some time to see if it "burns" out. The dealer told me I would get both replaced or cleaned if it doesn't go away. I dunno if the DPF can be cleaned, but I know that the cat can be heat treated/burned clean. As long as it doesn't bother me while driving, I will give it some time. All in all, I am very happy to back in this beautiful car. Driving a Transporter T5 isn't really comparable to a 159...

Yeah, first few kms after leaving the repair shop are always the happiest ones.

Glad to hear your 159 is back on the road.

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    I absolutely love the look of this Alfa! I wish they were sold in America. I hope its a good car to you =]
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

The Alfa Romeo 159 started development in June 2001 and was designed to compete in the D segment of the car market this puts it directly against the Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class and the Lexus 200.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-25-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: removed link, does not work

The Alfa Romeo 159 is named after the famous post war formula 1 car the Alfetta 159 and was styled by Giugiaro’s Ital Design, the design departs from the Alfa 156 and looses the hidden door handles but retains a distinct family resemblance, when the two cars are parked together they appear as brother and sister the Alfa 159 being slightly larger in everything but roof height.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-25-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: removed link,error 404.

the car is a great evolution of the 156, very confortable and kept in mind the Alfa spirit, but the engine could be better, the 2.4 is a bit puffing with the automatic gearbox. you did the right choice with this red mate, it's very beautiful

Thread Information