Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your Mazda is nothing but an expensive Ford."

oh man this conversation reminds me of ford TX3's and mazda familia GTX's, fun times
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'd go with either of csl's responses ... I'd likely jsut have told him to feck off and given him a glesgae'kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And Matra, the GTI is a perfectly capable hot hatch.
    I think it's all about relativity.
    It can't stack up with the new breed and it is a million miles away from what the Mk1 GTi was abotu and offered relative to the pack back then.
    The new Scirocco is an even bigger disappointment -- mind you it was the G60s we had
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    I think it's all about relativity.
    It can't stack up with the new breed and it is a million miles away from what the Mk1 GTi was abotu and offered relative to the pack back then.
    The new Scirocco is an even bigger disappointment -- mind you it was the G60s we had
    Of course. And if only we could drive around in Elan Sprints.

But given the time we are living in, the GTI is perfectly capable hot hatch. It does what a hot hatch is supposed to do. It does everything. Other may be faster, more powerful, more striking or cheaper. But the Golf strikes a balance that hardly anyone can match. Except perhaps the Focus ST.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

having driven the mk5 GTi and the Clio Cup, Megane Renault Sport, Mazda MPS and even the little Suzuki Swift Sport .. not to mention the ubiqitous Mini Cooper(s) then either you guys get a very special VW Golf or we'll agree to disagree on what we expect from "hot hatchbacks"
    As I see it the "balance" the Golf now strikes is more bits and pieces to make the driver feel they're getting more for their money, more weight and higher prices !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

having driven the mk5 GTi and the Clio Cup, Megane Renault Sport, Mazda MPS and even the little Suzuki Swift Sport .. not to mention the ubiqitous Mini Cooper(s) then either you guys get a very special VW Golf or we'll agree to disagree on what we expect from "hot hatchbacks"
    As I see it the "balance" the Golf now strikes is more bits and pieces to make the driver feel they're getting more for their money, more weight and higher prices !!
    Haven't driven the others, but the Mini is brilliant.

However, an S can get a bit tiresome as a daily drive. And it is completely impractical.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would have turned around and left.

Autozone is horrible, I'm sorry to say. I've been greeted with nothing but drug induced blank stares and curt replies there. If you have an O'Reilly near you, I find that their customer service is much better and the selection is actually better.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I would have turned around and left.

Autozone is horrible, I'm sorry to say. I've been greeted with nothing but drug induced blank stares and curt replies there. If you have an O'Reilly near you, I find that their customer service is much better and the selection is actually better.
    I don't think it's fair to blanket stereotype every Autozone/O'Reilly because of the 1 or 2 autozones you've been to
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Golf Gti is not in the same class as the MPS or the Focus RS.
    It's an overweight dinosaur. Sorry any mag that put the current GTi in with the crop of new hot hatchbacks liek the Clio, Megane, 3 MPS, Focus RS etc should be ignored (imho)

These tests were against the new MKVI model.

It might be softer, but not everyone is looking for a track weapon to drive everyday.

The XR5, sounds like the old Focus ST available elsewhere. Is it ? Was it sold alongside the ST adn the newer RS ??
    The current gen RS in Europe is the fastest of the pack - straight line and handling.

It's correct the XR5 is the same as the ST. the RS is somewhat more hardcore though?

You hit it right on the head IB4R, pushing power throguh the front wheels which means the driver HAS to modulate and plan cornering. Not jsut mash it in, anchor up and mash it out -- " the RWD way " Most times when I see "understering pig" then it's the drivers styel adn he/she needs educated on getting the most. It's like an RWD review complaining that on harsh turn in the rear breaks away.... yep, that's what happens when you dont' trail brake
    Most of these testers know how to handle a FWD car. I think it's a bit silly to write them off as RWD nuts who just can't calibrate their brain.

Yes you do need to calibrate your brain in a diferent way, but if there is one model that handles in a similar fashion to a RWD car when being a FWD, isn't that something to be happy with?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I don't think it's fair to blanket stereotype every Autozone/O'Reilly because of the 1 or 2 autozones you've been to
    I've been to four, thank you very much. True, but unless those four were owned and operated by the same guy (since two of those were in Washington, I doubt they are), it appears to be systemic.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Both Autozones near me blow. I'm in no way a bigot, but both of the stores near me are staffed by clueless Latinos too busy figuring out what parts fit the pile-'o-crap Oldsmobile some vatos dragged into the lot (and has a buddy swapping parts outside as all this is occuring) to bother with paying customers. Stood waiting to be checked out 10 minutes or more, a couple of weeks ago for a new $$ Optima for my truck. Cash money waiting over here, ese. Same at the local Pep Boys. A shame. My reason for going to either is they're both less than 2 miles from my house or shop. Convenient, but always annoying. When I comment in Spanish, first a sheepish look, and finally service. Yeah, puedo entende lo que estás diciendo de mí, idiota.

Indie shops are usually best as your business is important to them. We have a good rod shop run by a Dominican (pipe-bending while-you-wait!) and the Europarts store is staffed by oldtimers that give a sh*t. Always worth driving 10 or 30 miles when I need something more complicated than a battery.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Indie shops are usually best as your business is important to them.
    I would have to agree there. All the big commercial places I've been to are filled with these redneck types who are just dying to find a reason to shut down a customer over some misplaced automotive knowledge. I don't know everything about engine internals... that's why I ask the questions to learn. No sense putting me down over it.

The small indie shops, as you put it, are much more kind and patient with customers (like myself) who do not have such a diverse knowledge of all the internal components of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Both Autozones near me blow. I'm in no way a bigot, but both of the stores near me are staffed by clueless Latinos too busy figuring out what parts fit the pile-'o-crap Oldsmobile some vatos dragged into the lot (and has a buddy swapping parts outside as all this is occuring) to bother with paying customers. Stood waiting to be checked out 10 minutes or more, a couple of weeks ago for a new $$ Optima for my truck. Cash money waiting over here, ese. Same at the local Pep Boys. A shame. My reason for going to either is they're both less than 2 miles from my house or shop. Convenient, but always annoying. When I comment in Spanish, first a sheepish look, and finally service. Yeah, puedo entende lo que estás diciendo de mí, idiota.

Indie shops are usually best as your business is important to them. We have a good rod shop run by a Dominican (pipe-bending while-you-wait!) and the Europarts store is staffed by oldtimers that give a sh*t. Always worth driving 10 or 30 miles when I need something more complicated than a battery.
    Yeah, puedo entendeR lo que estás diciendo de mí, idiota.

IRC
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

and not fair Crisis ANY after market is going to be better by virtue of it was a personal choice and you spend more on it that an OEM does -- even when it's Bose
    I liked the Stereo. But I take your point.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Every report I've ever read about the 3MPS indicates it's an understeering pig.
    Hmmm, to the contrary I have heard it is an understated performance bargain...
    httb://www.facebook.com/UKTraitors
    httb://www.twitter.com/UKTraitors
    httb://www.youtube.com/therealgranturismo

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Most of these testers know how to handle a FWD car. I think it's a bit silly to write them off as RWD nuts who just can't calibrate their brain.
    Their bias and core competency will always surface at the limit.
    It's why so few rally drivers make good track drivers and vice versa.
    Differeing styles so ingrained that you can be very good in the other genre but not the pinnacle achieved in the "home formula">
    I dont' "write them off", but will always have a LARGE bout of scepticism whn the "understeering pig" type comments are raised
    Yes you do need to calibrate your brain in a diferent way, but if there is one model that handles in a similar fashion to a RWD car when being a FWD, isn't that something to be happy with?
    Not if you're in a lot of twisties and want to go fast, no
    NO one drive position is PERFECT. So it always "depends" and as I said, if someone complains of a modern hot hatch of "terrible understeer" then they just are NOT driving it properly.
    LIek Clarkson driving a motorbike or scooter. He hates them and so will ALWAYS make it look difficult, dangerous, silly. Doesn't mean biesk are bad -- cos they ain't
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    However, an S can get a bit tiresome as a daily drive. And it is completely impractical.
    Hmmm, Britain has some of the wrost kept roads on the planet and yet most of the hot hatches AND a thriving aftermarket add-ons to lower/stiffen and not all of it is by the chavs. We just have a willingness/preference to give up some confort for a better experience. WHat you're presonal preferences are I drive the RX-8 to Europe often - a LOT of miles from Scotland -- and try my best to avoid boring, flat, straight, smooth motorways ... and no, I'm not the only one. Might be our hsitorical competition background in the UK whre it was scommon to have a car to race/rally at the weekeds which was used as a normal transport during the weekdays ! Try a UK spec Scooby or EVO

My mates DAUGHTER has run an S these last 3 years and woudl NOT exchange it for anything
    "imptractical" might need explanation ! Not a family-of-6 kind of car for sure
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-11-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Thread Information