Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson rates "25 best cars I've driven"

This guy has driven every major badass ultimately exotic supercar on this planet and he puts a Mazda CX7 on his top 25? Nothing against the CX7, is a nice SUV or crossover, or whatever, I drove it myself when I was checking them out a few months ago while considering one for my wife, but come on... Jeremy Clarkson's top 25?

I can totally see the RX-8 on that list, I've never driven one but I've heard / read that it is a thrill to drive... the list though, it's a bit odd. The last 5 cars on that list shouldn't even be considered imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    This guy has driven every major badass ultimately exotic supercar on this planet and he puts a Mazda CX7 on his top 25? Nothing against the CX7, is a nice SUV or crossover, or whatever, I drove it myself when I was checking them out a few months ago while considering one for my wife, but come on... Jeremy Clarkson's top 25?

I can totally see the RX-8 on that list, I've never driven one but I've heard / read that it is a thrill to drive... the list though, it's a bit odd. The last 5 cars on that list shouldn't even be considered imo.
    That is quite weird.

the section it is in is called "CALL ME DAFT BUT I LOVE THEM." and even guys with dozens of cars need a more utilitarian vehicle. and if you needed to haul some stuff, wouldn't you rather it be a great drive? that's why i bought one. it was as comfortable as the murano, close to the XC90 (and much cheaper), had personality unlike anything from toyota, and drove better than all of them. for someone who has to have that sort of a vehicle that also likes driving, it is a fantastic car.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What about the handling?

In some cars you don't need to go a million to know they are great handling cars. And viceversa.
    I find the handling is quite nice for a car of its class. The suspension is quite stiff which makes cornering feel easy at decent speeds. There is no feeling of rocking or unbalance when cornering or driving on the interstate; this was something that plagued a Jag my mother drove for a few months (didn't sit well with her when my car seemed to be the smoother drive and a new CL came back soon to replace it).

I drove a friend’s Altima recently and we both decided that my car had the better handling. It doesn't have that feeling like you are in a boat or you're about to flip when making left hand turns at an intersection.

My only real gripe is power and lack of AWD (can it be?). I know I can't really have an opinion about power when I drive four banger and I've made my opinion about AWD pretty clear in the past (although, that was only relating to sports/super cars), but it has been hell ever since I moved to Park City this year. Last year was worse when I was on vacation here without the studded tires.

Altogether, I like it very much and I hope to keep it for a few more years. Maybe put 200k on it at least.

... I guess I don't need to do a Fiset Test now.

I rode in a Protege for a year when I was carpooling with friend for work. It was a sporty ride with all the vices with it. In the winter beaten road in Toronto its just uncomfortable....but thats the same in most compact car though, short wheel base is not great for that....

It also has funny gearing, his 5 speed sits over 3300rpm at 110kph in 5th...so it hums like crazy at cruising speed....

I do want a car that doesn't roll like a boat though, says the guy who drive a 98 Toyota Camry...lol
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The last 5 cars on that list shouldn't even be considered imo.
    The Mazda MPS a.k.a. Mazdaspeed6 drives quite well actually. Dont be hating just because the 350z isnt on the list.

The list does hold some of the reportedly best handling cars, Noble M12, Ariel Atom, and such so I dont think its all "rubbish". The CX-7 was the best handling SUV/Crossover that I had ever driven. It drove just like a car, and a good car at that. Its on the list possibly because of that "X" factor. Something that you cant quite put your finger on, that makes it special.
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 01-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    The list is entitled "best cars I've driven". That generally excludes all classic cars due to their handling and unreliability. Note the list contains all cars that are very good handling cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    a) The fact that the list is made by Clarkson de-legitimizes it.
    b) Those are horrible cars to drive by today's standards.

Anyway, this list doesn't pretend to be definitive and absolute truth. The article was written in 2008 and is about the best cars Jeremy has driven since 2003.

No need to be so sacred.
    Have any of you ever driven a Porsche 356B? Because I drive one on a daily basis, and let me tell you: the handling, balance, clutch, gearbox, driving position are excellent. The brakes could be better. It feels a little slow compared to my 507hp M6, but not compared to most of today's super minis. It doesn't always start on the first try, but it's never not started on me. So what am I missing? Surround sound and duel climate zone A/C?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Have any of you ever driven a Porsche 356B? Because I drive one on a daily basis, and let me tell you: the handling, balance, clutch, gearbox, driving position are excellent. The brakes could be better. It feels a little slow compared to my 507hp M6, but not compared to most of today's super minis. It doesn't always start on the first try, but it's never not started on me. So what am I missing? Surround sound and duel climate zone A/C?
    Dubs.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Surround sound and duel climate zone A/C?
    These are overrated.

Drove a 20 year old Polo GT today. Lovely.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    The Mazda MPS a.k.a. Mazdaspeed6 drives quite well actually. Dont be hating just because the 350z isnt on the list.

The list does hold some of the reportedly best handling cars, Noble M12, Ariel Atom, and such so I dont think its all "rubbish". The CX-7 was the best handling SUV/Crossover that I had ever driven. It drove just like a car, and a good car at that. Its on the list possibly because of that "X" factor. Something that you cant quite put your finger on, that makes it special.
    The Mazdaspeed 6 is a mean sedan and I wouldn't mind owning one at all...

Is just a bit odd to see an MPS6 and not a Koenigsegg / Pagani.. I know MY list would be a bunch of supercars

I would never expect him to put a 350Z on the list, not even a 370Z... maybe if it lost 200-300 lbs and improved its overall quality.

The Mazdaspeed 6 is a mean sedan and I wouldn't mind owning one at all...

Is just a bit odd to see an MPS6 and not a Koenigsegg / Pagani.. I know MY list would be a bunch of supercars

I would never expect him to put a 350Z on the list, not even a 370Z... maybe if it lost 200-300 lbs and improved its overall quality.
    I remember when he reviewed it on Top Gear he hated the 350Z. Then again he had a hangover.

Surprisingly, not one Subaru?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Here's his full list (not in order of preference)

Interestingly, four Mazda's in the top 25 Maybe take a copy in to the guy who said the Mazda was a cheap Ford
    lmao don't flatter yourself Matra :P

We see only one old Ferrari and 4 Mazdas. It's very strange or Mazda has the best suspension constructors of the world!

I'm surprised he doesn't have an F355 on there. He is quite keen on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I'm surprised he doesn't have an F355 on there. He is quite keen on them.
    True, on a side note. I stopped in at a local dealership. Told them what my vehicle needs were. He showed me a Ferrari 355 Spyder and asked if he should start doing paperwork for a test drive. Whoah wtf?!
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Thread Information