Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 Subaru STi vs 06 VW GLI

04 Subaru STi vs 06 VW GLI

Some friends of mine have an '03 WRX modded to about 300whp and another one with an '02 RS with a '07 WRX drivetrain swapped into it. The performance is just insane and all weather driving is amazing. Meanwhile the performance of my GLI in dry weather is awesome, torque is mild. But in rain and snow, it spins, traction control is on a lot and torque steers like mad. So, I've been thinking about getting an STi. A good deal on an 04 popped up at a local dealership and I need to jump on it asap. Are there any problem areas with 04's I should look out for?
    I think the interior of the STi isn't up to par with the VW, but some aftermarket seats can change that and an aftermarket sound system.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Some friends of mine have an '03 WRX modded to about 300whp and another one with an '02 RS with a '07 WRX drivetrain swapped into it. The performance is just insane and all weather driving is amazing. Meanwhile the performance of my GLI in dry weather is awesome, torque is mild. But in rain and snow, it spins, traction control is on a lot and torque steers like mad. So, I've been thinking about getting an STi. A good deal on an 04 popped up at a local dealership and I need to jump on it asap. Are there any problem areas with 04's I should look out for?
    I think the interior of the STi isn't up to par with the VW, but some aftermarket seats can change that and an aftermarket sound system.
    or you could strip it down and make it a track animal. STi's are really a phenomenal car, and the only thing i know of as a problem area is previous owners destroying them.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

my friend's '05(? i think, pic attached) sti is at 320awhp, no problems so far except the usual engine wear from putting extra power through. been to trackdays with me and iirc no problems, but like me he's pretty diligent with maintenance.

edit: fuel consumption is pretty poor. also where's landquail to weigh in on this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'd personally stick the VW. It may be slower than the Impreza but for me it'd be more enjoyable.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I almost bought an '06 STI but then found a killer deal on the Z which I couldn't pass... Love those cars, but like pokey said, owners have the tendency of beating the shit out of them.

I would probably stay with the GLI and maybe try different tires. I have a friend in Moscow who drives one and he never has trouble driving it in winter (with snow tires) unless the snow on the road gets deep enough that he starts dragging the undercarriage. Just my two cents.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I don't think its that the GLI handles poorly in the snow, I think it's that the AWD STI's and RS's are way more fun in the snow.

I'd say sell the GLI and get the STI, I mean your not a girl in highschool you don't need a Jetta...
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Get the STi. The only issue you'll need to double check is how the clutch and gearbox are, and if there's any funny noises from the drivetrain. They suffer in Rexies when they get thrashed.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

STI, Do it. Simple. No question.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Exactly what kind of deal are you gettin? What milage? Stock engine? That sort of thing. I hope you dont actually pay for upgraded modifications to the car. You never know who installed them. All I suggest to you is what I highly suggest to anyone whos looking at boy racers. Be careful what you wish for.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

The STi will forever be a good performance car.

If you want something to coddle you and make you feel good when you touch it, keep the GLI. If you want something that makes you feel good when you're driving, get the STi.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I'll definetly have a listen for any strange noises on the test drive. It has 44,900 miles, it has a front mount intercooler, intake, and exhaust. Pretty much the stuff I'd do to it if I had it. Interior looks brand new as does the exterior. I'll be stopping by the dealership tomorrow afternoon to check it out. Thanks for the input guys.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 01-17-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Yeah, I'd go for the STi too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I'll definetly have a listen for any strange noises on the test drive. It has 44,900 miles, it has a front mount intercooler, intake, and exhaust. Pretty much the stuff I'd do to it if I had it. Interior looks brand new as does the exterior. I'll be stopping by the dealership tomorrow afternoon to check it out. Thanks for the input guys.
    boooo
    it'd want to have a big turbo/high boost level to justify that..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

llllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggg PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information