Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Invincible Jeep

The Invincible Jeep

So here it is, the invincible jeep. 4.0 I6 with a 4 speed auto, 33x12.50 BFG tires, Warn 9,000lb winch, authentic battle scars, etc. Really too many uprades to remember at this point.

Is it practical?

It can hold 6 sorority girls in addition to the driver, and with chains can handle almost any amount of snow. So if you live near greek-row at the University of Idaho or similar, yes. Otherwise, less so.

Is it economical?

Um, no. Not in any way whatsoever.

Is it fun to drive?

As long as the tires aren't touching pavement it's a blast. Otherwise you get passed by every little thing.

Will it break down all the time?

Approaching 250,000 miles and so far I've had to replace the waterpump and the tranny, both recently. Other than that it's mostly one of the three knobs falling off or bending a fender, etc.

Is it easy to park?

Yes. Anywhere.

What if I go to a Shopping Centre and get chased by baddies in a Corvette?

Drive over teddie bears and stuff until the 'Vette high-centers.

Is it green?

Nope.. it's red.

Can I afford it?

The Jeep, yes. Rolling it offroad and the inevitable stream of upgrades that follows, maybe less so.

What If I'm asked to take part in a beach assault with the Royal Marines?

It's all good. It was practically made for it. Can even strap a machinegun to the rollcage.

Sorry for the low quality pictures but they're all I could find. Apparently in the last couple years I've only taken pictures when parking it creatively.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Hoo-ray for hickdom.
    Nice wheels, man. My buddy has a Cherokee 3-door with the 4.0 and lives in the snowbelt upstate and absolutely swears by that motor.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

You see, that's a proper off roader.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Hoo-ray for hickdom.
    Nice wheels, man. My buddy has a Cherokee 3-door with the 4.0 and lives in the snowbelt upstate and absolutely swears by that motor.
    Just doing what I can to represent the redneck nation.

I love it. It's not huge on power but it does have pretty decent torque at a very low RPM and sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You see, that's a proper off roader.
    Thank you.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Invincible Jeep, now theres an oxymoron.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

i don't see a gun rack..?
    looks like a laugh off road
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Invincible Jeep, now theres an oxymoron.
    Hey, it's never broken down offroad (well, I did burn out the winch, but the rest of it is perfect) and I never had any problems on asphault until 200,000 miles had rolled around. Well, I squished the suspension once, but that happens when you drive off a cliff, and it did drive me back to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i don't see a gun rack..?
    looks like a laugh off road
    Never fear, there's actually a removeable one that fits over the back of the rear seat.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post

Never fear, there's actually a removeable one that fits over the back of the rear seat.
    phew i can rest easy
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I approve. 4.0's were built by god.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Went offroading sunday (was supposed to be the best weather of the three day weekend) and did manage to take some photos, at great personal risk to myself, so pipe down kitdy.

My friends first time offroading, and things didn't go quite as well as could be hoped. The sunshine predicted in the weather report turned out to be "washington sunshine", commonly known as a drizzle, so I didn't get to put the bikini top on. Turned out to be a good thing since it was a little wetter than anticipated and as a first timer I doubt my friend would have been happy had she gotten covered in mud. Also, the trail I used to love 10 years ago when I last went up there is now closed till July 15, so I had to improvise. Luckily there are tons of old washed out logging roads up there so we still managed to find some good stuff and have a bunch of fun.

1. At a wide spot in the shortcut to the trail, it's almost straight down on both sides of the ridge here so on a sunny day you can see for miles.
    2. At the end of the shortcut, the exit of which is there in the background.
    3. The (in)famous green mud that clogs up your tires. Not pictured: me falling over while trying to scrape 5 pounds of it off my shoes and ending up covered in it.
    4-6. The parts of the shortcuts I was willing to walk to to take pictures of. Note in 4 the smooth spot where a lesser vehicle was dragging a diff.
    Big cities suck

After the first shortcut we discovered that the main trail was closed, so I took another (muddier) one to another trail which I thought might be a good bet. No pics of this shortcut, though.

1. The fender flares don't protect the mirrors very well.
    2. Mud on top of the Jeep. To give you an idea how high up that is, I'm 5' 10" and I took this picture with my arms as high above my head as I could reach.
    3-4. Finally getting a decent level of mud on things.
    5. Driverside mirror now muddy, plus a peek at the interior (didn't think to take any pictures of that while I had a camera, this is the best I got.)
    6. Still some snow up there (about 5,800 feet at this point.)
    Big cities suck

Nice Jeep! It's been a long time since my last foray into the wilds with a 4X4, but one of the things that really makes it worthwhile is getting to some remote spot, and enjoying the quiet. Even in bad weather.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Then went higher up the other side of the trail and stopped along the way at a cool little lookout. Did take pics of the view out the other side of the rise, but I don't have them yet.

Also, soon after taking these pictures the camera battery died and there's no pictures of the trail or my Jeep after going through it. So, the only photos I got were kinda lame. Which is unfortunate cause there was some righteous mud that even I was proud of. Had to stop to squeegee the windshield a couple times because the mud splatter was too thick for the wipers and I even got some on me through the window because of the broken zipper.

Makes me regret how many we shots took early on, but it also gives me another excuse to head back up there (probably after July 15) so it's not all bad.

1. The Jeep on the rise. Just a few feet the other side of the Jeep there's an almost sheer drop of about 1800 feet.
    2. Another view from the road side of the rise, this time with the elusive (and fluffy) wwgkd caught in frame.
    Big cities suck

haha good work using it offroad

That's really cool.

Jeeps and Vipers are about the only thing useful that comes out of Chrysler.

Thread Information