Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    You do NOT need a contract with AT&T, you can use it on any GSM network. ALL iPads are unlocked and sold by Apple, not AT&T.

There will be 2 data plans: a 250mb plan at $15 and an unlimited plan at $30. NO contract. So you cancel the plan at any moment in time. You're never married to AT&T for 2 years.

That said, you can get an iPad with just wifi or one with wifi+3G.
    250mb is like nothing. $30 doesn't seem too horrible though.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Yea, but I already have an ipod (60GB 5G) so it's hard to justify even that expense. A$400 (rrp) for the 32GB is still rather a lot.
    Ah, I guess it's something to look at if you ever need a replacement.

I am still confused as to the point of this product. However, I also don't really care about it (outside of maybe how long it takes for someone to figure out a way to "unlock" these things).
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I am still confused as to the point of this product. However, I also don't really care about it (outside of maybe how long it takes for someone to figure out a way to "unlock" these things).
    Some analysts think Apple will use devices like the iPad to go after a piece of the Google search pie....and it is targeting Amazon's Kindle market which is 5% of Amazon's revenue. Add up these little pieces of pie and pretty soon they have a good market presence in new areas.

I'm sure the picture will become more clear in a few short months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Some analysts think Apple will use devices like the iPad to go after a piece of the Google search pie....and it is targeting Amazon's Kindle market which is 5% of Amazon's revenue. Add up these little pieces of pie and pretty soon they have a good market presence in new areas.

I can very easily see it going after the Kindle market and expected that at least be a possibility for an app or something of the sort; what has me lost on that being something the ipad is particularly strong in is that one of the things that make the Kindle such a strong seller is its rather large archive of full books; amassing such a large database isn't easy. I will admit that I have no idea if Apple has such a database being made/set up or what, but as a result, I have no knowledge of such an infrastructure being available to Apple. I tried searching for information on that, but all I seem to get is a flood of news reports announcing the ipad's existence. You have anything?

As for the Google related note; not sure I understood what you are trying to say. I can see the ipad being a response to Google's expansions out of the search feature that made it famous, but what I took your reply to say was that it was an Apple response to the actual search feature.

Most of the focus seems to be on newspapers and magazines being published on it, the full colour screen and other fanciness being a drawcard to current magazine publishers. I'd say there's a market for this, but it's a niche. On the flip side, it's a niche that will be entirely controlled by Apple, because.. they're Apple. It will be seen as the only option until something demonstrably better appears.. only to be crushed by the next revision of the ipad. I don't want one, but I know some people that will...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post

If I were in the market to get an e-reader, I'd get this. But I don't think e-books are anywhere as good as paper books, so no thanks.

I can very easily see it going after the Kindle market and expected that at least be a possibility for an app or something of the sort; what has me lost on that being something the ipad is particularly strong in is that one of the things that make the Kindle such a strong seller is its rather large archive of full books; amassing such a large database isn't easy. I will admit that I have no idea if Apple has such a database being made/set up or what, but as a result, I have no knowledge of such an infrastructure being available to Apple. I tried searching for information on that, but all I seem to get is a flood of news reports announcing the ipad's existence. You have anything?

As for the Google related note; not sure I understood what you are trying to say. I can see the ipad being a response to Google's expansions out of the search feature that made it famous, but what I took your reply to say was that it was an Apple response to the actual search feature.
    It's more of a half assed effort in my opinion. This product had so much potential. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Plus, the IPod Touch and Phone both have Kindle apps already.

i guess i find myself wondering...what is the point?

its cool, its sexy as all get out, but is it worth the money? (i will admit, it is reasonably priced for an apple product although definitely not cheap, just reasonable)

So you can read books on it. I can already do that on paper in "book form" for a fraction of the cost, and my book will never run out of batteries or I can just download one and read it a laptop, or buy a sony or kindle e-book deal which im assuming is cheaper but i could be wrong on that.

So you can listen to music with it. I can already do that on my psp, any one of the hundreds of different types of cell phones and mp3 players out there right now or I can do it on my laptop. Not to mention, with the mp3 player or cell phone, it fits in your pocket, the ipad will not.

So you can watch movies on it. I can already do that on my ipod, my psp, and my laptop. My laptop has a much bigger screen, is just as portable as the ipad, and i can watch DVDs on it too for movies I already have and dont want to pay to download. And more importantly, I DONT HAVE TO HOLD MY LAPTOP UP TO WATCH A MOVIE ON IT, NOR DO I HAVE TO LEAN OVER TO WATCH A MOVIE ON IT. This i think is a huge flaw with the ipad, it doesn't have a large base and a tilting screen like a laptop so it will never be that convenient to watch a movie on unless they made a stand for it or something. of course my laptops screen will still be bigger.

I will concede that an ipad will be much better to watch a movie on than a psp or ipod, but it wont be as easy to carry around or as convenient.

It goes on the internet. So does my phone, so does my laptop, so does my psp, so does my ipod. ipad is probably better for internetting (thats a verb) than the phone, the psp or the ipod but certainly not as good as the laptop.

It plays games. Id be willing to wager that the psp is a better gaming system than the ipad but even if i am wrong, an ipad will never be as good as a laptop. And once again, the ipad is not small enough to be a convenient portable gaming system like a psp or a ds so you get none of the benefit of having a real computer for gaming like a laptop, nor do you get any of the benefit of having a convenient portable gaming system like a ds or a psp.

You can look at pictures on it. Once again, i can do that on my phone, laptop, and psp. I assume the screen is of a higher quality and larger size than the phone and the psp. but once again, the laptop's screen is much bigger and the laptop holds more pictures.

Additionally, i dont know about you guys, but i have a touch screen phone (blackberry storm) and for the life of me, i cant keep the screen as clean as i would like. there is always some sort of smudge on it and it drives me crazy. I cant imagine how crazy the ipad would drive me.

Furthermore, you cant really use the ipad for doing work like writing a paper or a powerpoint or something like that.

I guess the big problem is that the ipad is not really any more "portable" than a laptop is.

also, does it have speakers? if not, chalk another point up for the laptop.

So once again, i ask, What is the point?! Why should i spend my money on this thing?
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 01-27-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Plus, the IPod Touch and Phone both have Kindle apps already.
    Do you really want to read a book on a 2x3" screen?
    I can very easily see it going after the Kindle market and expected that at least be a possibility for an app or something of the sort;
    A major feature of the iPad is its e-reader functionality, they've even set up a third "store" in addition to iTunes and the App Store, the iBook Store. So yes, it's got the Kindle directly in its sights.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    ...or buy a sony or kindle e-book deal which im assuming is cheaper but i could be wrong on that.

This i think is a huge flaw with the ipad, it doesn't have a large base and a tilting screen like a laptop so it will never be that convenient to watch a movie on unless they made a stand for it or something. of course my laptops screen will still be bigger.

Additionally, you cant really use the ipad for doing work like writing a paper or a powerpoint or something like that.
    They are both around $300, so cheaper, yes, significantly? No.

Ask and ye shall receive. The picture below shows both Apple's keyboard/dock and their folding binder-case that props it up at a slight angle (obviously nowhere near as much as the dock). Not to mention I'm sure there will be an absolute glut of third party accessories which will undoubtedly include stands.

Yes you can, iWork (or whatever Apple's version of Office is called) will be on the iPad.
    WAIT A MINUTE I THINK I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION!!!

My wife and I sometimes both want to use my laptop at the same time. I need it for homework, she wants to go internetting on the couch. There is no point in buying a real laptop for her to only go on the internet, and those little mini laptops are total pieces of junk. So maybe the ipad would be good to buy my wife so she can internet on the couch. But then again 500$ or so is about 250$ more than im willing to spend for her to have internet on the couch.
    Exactly, it's like Apple's version of those shitty Netbooks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both the case/stand and the keyboard dock are much better than holding the thing, but you are still stuck with basically two or three possible positions.

not to mention, the case/stand positioning still looks like you have to be hunched over to see it, its only tilted a little bit.

A great thing about a laptop is there is an infinite number of positions you can tilt the screen in order to get an ideal viewing angle.

I agree that there will probably be some decent third party stands, but then if you have to carry around a bunch of additional stuff, it looses a lot of its portability which is already lacking.

I do like the idea of using as an alternative to a crappy mini computer. I just dont know if thats worth 500 something dollars. Apple does make quality products.
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 01-27-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Yes you can, iWork (or whatever Apple's version of Office is called) will be on the iPad.
    That is good, ill take that back then, however i do think it would suck to try to type on that thing compared to a real laptop.

Exactly, it's like Apple's version of those shitty Netbooks.
    No it's not. It's a giant iPhone/Touch. If it had OSX it would be a netbook competitor, but it doesn't. It's pointless. As roosterjuicer said, it does the same thing as a whole lot of other devices that anyone in the market for an iPad already has, but not as well.

Also: The Case against the iPad Bottom-up
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 01-27-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Well, it looks like I have been convinced to a neutral standpoint. If the magazine thing takes off (i.e., there becomes an ipad format for magazines or something of the sort widespread) that could actually be really neat!

Yeah as the day's gone on I've become more neutral. I still want one, but I'm definitely going to need to play with one in the store first. However, I will be in the 1% minority of the hoards of people in the Apple store who are actually considering buying something. I hate that place.

Yeah as the day's gone on I've become more neutral. I still want one, but I'm definitely going to need to play with one in the store first. However, I will be in the 1% minority of the hoards of people in the Apple store who are actually considering buying something. I hate that place.
    Agreed. It is usually hipsters jacking off their Mac-glands or people just browsing like a clothing store having a sale.

Thread Information