Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dad's new car

Manual or Auto?

Other than that I'd say not a bad choice at all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Manual or Auto?

Other than that I'd say not a bad choice at all.
    Auto...

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Auto...
    DSG auto or TripTonic auto? still, great choice, very good looking wagon.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Auto...
    Well that detracts a bit.

But still the Passat GTI Estate is a good choice.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    DSG auto or TripTonic auto? still, great choice, very good looking wagon.
    Both?

Quote Originally Posted by Volkswagen.com... Specs about the Passat Wagon
    Automatic: Six-speed DSG® with Tiptronic ®
    Well that detracts a bit.
    I know... both my parents drove manual cars their whole life... but they rather drive an automatic now.

Both?
    Ah... Well... That's weird.

Maybe the tiptronic is the possibility for changing gears in 'manual' mode.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Ah... Well... That's weird.

Maybe the tiptronic is the possibility for changing gears in 'manual' mode.
    It is. In essence, it's the dual clutch gearbox, not the convetional torque converter auto.
    Visca Catalunya!

I really like the Tiguan but I accept that it is a really small SUV. However it will be VW comfortable, reliable and the build quality will be far better than anything from anywhere else in the world.

my buddy has a 3.6 passat 2006 and its a very nice ride. i enjoyed it and was very impressed.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

The DSG auto option seems to have two sides really. Obviosly in the GTI and various audis its marketed as a really sporty option with paddle shifters. Here (I think) and in other showroom "oh I just need an auto in my 2.0tdi because I cant be bothered with a clutch, i need comfort" circumstances its just an auto transmission as far as anyone would be informed. My grandad about a year ago got a new golf estate and because he has a dickly leg got the auto box. Inside it has no paddle shifters and no chrome gear selector surround but it still has the same blend of smooth and quick changes. No wonder it has to be super smooth as well as super quick to satisfy both ends of its market. Maybe its a software thing. Does anyone know what the regular golf (mk IV/V) auto was like before DSG came along?
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    However it will be VW comfortable, reliable and the build quality will be far better than anything from anywhere else in the world.
    I think you fell for the VAG publicity campaign, vocally supported by a number of autojournals that are quite dependent on advertising.
    Recently Auto Motor und Sport tested 10 estates like this, and guess who won:
    The Audi A4, with the Passat second. Inside the magazine were eight separate pages with VAG advertisements.....
    A Dutch test for the same type of cars put the Toyota Avensis on top, followed jointly by the A4 and the Citroen C5 (inspite of the Audi being 10000 Euros more expensive than both the Citroen and the Toyota).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    The DSG auto option seems to have two sides really. Obviosly in the GTI and various audis its marketed as a really sporty option with paddle shifters. Here (I think) and in other showroom "oh I just need an auto in my 2.0tdi because I cant be bothered with a clutch, i need comfort" circumstances its just an auto transmission as far as anyone would be informed. My grandad about a year ago got a new golf estate and because he has a dickly leg got the auto box. Inside it has no paddle shifters and no chrome gear selector surround but it still has the same blend of smooth and quick changes. No wonder it has to be super smooth as well as super quick to satisfy both ends of its market. Maybe its a software thing. Does anyone know what the regular golf (mk IV/V) auto was like before DSG came along?
    They do have different softwares, even if mechanically it's the same gearbox. For instance apparently there's a difference between the normal Ibiza DSG and the FR and Cupra versions. However this is also the case with traditional torque converter autos, as far as I know, for instance the ZF auto in the Astons or Maseratis has different software than those in BMW and Audis.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think you fell for the VAG publicity campaign, vocally supported by a number of autojournals that are quite dependent on advertising.
    Recently Auto Motor und Sport tested 10 estates like this, and guess who won:
    The Audi A4, with the Passat second. Inside the magazine were eight separate pages with VAG advertisements.....
    A Dutch test for the same type of cars put the Toyota Avensis on top, followed jointly by the A4 and the Citroen C5 (inspite of the Audi being 10000 Euros more expensive than both the Citroen and the Toyota).
    Why are Audis on top at all? Maybe the new chasis and trick clutch has made them much less disappointing.
    Visca Catalunya!

They do have different softwares, even if mechanically it's the same gearbox. For instance apparently there's a difference between the normal Ibiza DSG and the FR and Cupra versions. However this is also the case with traditional torque converter autos, as far as I know, for instance the ZF auto in the Astons or Maseratis has different software than those in BMW and Audis.

Why are Audis on top at all? Maybe the new chasis and trick clutch has made them much less disappointing.
    Audis are on top because they are the best estates with the smallest carrying capacity, but they drive like a sportscar and that's what buy an estate for.. In the Dutch test they used a 20HP more powerful car than all the others...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No Pieter, the don't drive like a sportscar. What they have is an intolerable stiff ride that's labelled as sporty.
    Visca Catalunya!

No Pieter, the don't drive like a sportscar. What they have is an intolerable stiff ride that's labelled as sporty.
    the Germans gave it a higher comfort mark than the C5.....

Thread Information