Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dad's new car

And people believe them...?

EDIT Of course they do, I mean they buy them in spades...
    Last edited by Ferrer; 02-09-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And people believe them...?

EDIT Of course they do, I mean they buy them in spades...
    they just have a crooked definition of comfort....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

They do have different softwares, even if mechanically it's the same gearbox. For instance apparently there's a difference between the normal Ibiza DSG and the FR and Cupra versions.
    Bear in mind that thats the 7 speed dry clutch version which handles less torque, its a different box to the original 6 speed wet clutch version used in lots of circumstances as I said.

Wonder if you asked for an automatic on the new ibiza you would get the 7spd dsg or some old 4 speed thing. Website not working for me right now but will try again later and see.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Bear in mind that thats the 7 speed dry clutch version which handles less torque, its a different box to the original 6 speed wet clutch version used in lots of circumstances as I said.

Wonder if you asked for an automatic on the new ibiza you would get the 7spd dsg or some old 4 speed thing. Website not working for me right now but will try again later and see.
    7 speed DSG across the range here I think. Altough some engines can't be had with an automatic.
    Visca Catalunya!

I drive a Golf MkIV and the auto transmission is fine. Not clunky, it's smooth, I find it does what I want.

Why are Audis on top at all? Maybe the new chasis and trick clutch has made them much less disappointing.
    its thier pretty headlights! and they drive really nice along with nice interiors
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    its thier pretty headlights! and they drive really nice along with nice interiors
    Yes, no and yes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes, no and yes.
    whats wrong with their driving?

our Q5 is a pleasure. its rock solid it rides very well on these bumpy roads and it handles great in the turns. I drove the crap out of an A4 loaner and it was noisy from the engine but once the 2.0t had boost it hauled ass. it also handled well and showed how well quattro grips the road. the rear would not slide out on me no matter what. at triple digits it was very planted. I drove an S5 and all i can say is WOW. the v8 grumble roar. all that power. it was just too heavy but it was such a nice car to drive.

I don't really like MB but from the BMW's i've driven they do drive excellent! however lately audi has been arousing me!

I see the german big 3 in the US like this:

Performance - BMW
    Luxury - Mercedes
    Middle ground - Audi
    Ultimate Performance - Porsche
    Mainstream - VW
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

whats wrong with their driving?
    Well, where to start... with the pointlessly stiff ride? Maybe the dead steering? Nose-heaviness? Or perhaps the relentless understeer?

If I compare the A6 we had (current gen, pre-facelift) with the XF we have now, the Jag is dynamically worlds ahead of the Audi. Up to the point, that I'd say there's hardly any reason to buy it.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well, where to start... with the pointlessly stiff ride? Maybe the dead steering? Nose-heaviness? Or perhaps the relentless understeer?

If I compare the A6 we had (current gen, pre-facelift) with the XF we have now, the Jag is dynamically worlds ahead of the Audi. Up to the point, that I'd say there's hardly any reason to buy it.
    hmm i never drove the A6 so i can't say much about it but audi's do give a stiff ride (but it works) as well as a bit of dead steering (not as bad as toyota its a weird type of dead) and they are nose heavy. which explains the understeer. i've heard that the XF leaves a lot to be desired driving wise, this coming from a BMW fanatic (my uncle) who's owned about 8 BMW's in 12 years. don't get me wrong the XF looks great but would i buy a jag, no. i'd go German for a sedan of that caliber.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

my impression with the A4 was; it's a camry with a harsher ride
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    my impression with the A4 was; it's a camry with a harsher ride
    This. And more understeer. The reason the back end doesn't swing out no matter what isn't that it has incredible amounts of grip, it's that it can't overcome the understeer.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    This. And more understeer. The reason the back end doesn't swing out no matter what isn't that it has incredible amounts of grip, it's that it can't overcome the understeer.
    which year model A4 are you talking about because i prefer the last gen then the current one.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

which year model A4 are you talking about because i prefer the last gen then the current one.
    The one that I drove would have been an '04 or '05 I think. When Car and Driver recently tested the S4 (against a 335i, I believe) they said the new optional active differential did away with a lot of the understeer issues and made it more fun to drive than the 335, but that's my only experience with the new one.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    The one that I drove would have been an '04 or '05 I think. When Car and Driver recently tested the S4 (against a 335i, I believe) they said the new optional active differential did away with a lot of the understeer issues and made it more fun to drive than the 335, but that's my only experience with the new one.
    i drove and 06 and enjoyed it. i also drove a 09 the new body style and i didn't like it. i blame the transverse mounted engine for that. the 335i is a dream to drive. havn't drive the s4.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Thread Information