Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid

I think this is quite cool. Not only is the realization of what I though was a very interesting proposal from Williams last year (did it ever race, or was it even tested?) and, as RM mentioned, hopefully the FIA will let them use it to its full potential instead of as a dumb gimmick like KERS.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

What do you want to bet by the end of the season every team has gone back to the conventional powertrain layout?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    What do you want to bet by the end of the season every team has gone back to the conventional powertrain layout?
    Quite possible.

So will this be cheaper than the hydraulic regenerative braking systems that they've been using in Semis and other big trucks for years? Just lighter weight? I can't imagine it being safer.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 02-11-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: sp
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Posted this in the Website Discussion thread before I knew this one existed.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Will Manthey be racing the hybrid this year?

Also, will the hybrid be racing the premier class at the 24?

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    They aren't racing this in all the series though are they? If its just a research project then they'll try to run it as often as they can...much like the Hybrid Supra that ran in the 24 hours in Japan...

The electric system will definitely be lighter than the full hydraulic setup, although safer or not is debatable(even compare to battery). I don't think hybrid is allowed yet at Le Mans...
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 02-12-2010 at 07:13 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I don't think hybrid is allowed yet at Le Mans...
    The regulations will be changed to allow them in 2012, won't they?

I also agree that this is a development car and also a perfect PR ambassador for upcoming hybrid Porsches like the Cayenne and Panamera. So it's not a privateers car. It's a works car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Peugeot showed a hybrid version of its 908 at the Silverstone 1000km in 2008...they wanted it at LeMans in 2009 but the ACO would not let them.

Slowly but surely, hybrid race classes (and series) will start to emerge.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Probably not until the next reg change that bumps down the displacement and size of the engines for LMP cars though...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Seems the* GT3 R Hybrid is doing well in combat.

Second Porsche win and Hybrid on podium at Nürburgring VLN

[April 11, 2010]

The Porsche 911 has again shown its supremacy as the world?s most successful GT race car. This time both as a traditionally-powered racer and a hybrid entry.

At the second race of the Nürburgring Long Distance Championship, the new Porsche 911 GT3 R celebrated its second overall straight win. The innovative 911 GT3 R Hybrid, which features two electric motors supplementing the combustion engine in the rear, finished third.

Seven Porsche 911 were amongst the top ten finishers. In a repeat of the season-opening race, the yellow-green Porsche 911 GT3 R fielded by Manthey Racing ran without any technical problems from start to finish. The result for the
    driver trio Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas and Marcel Tiemann was their second win of the season.

Factory drivers Joerg Bergmeister and Wolf Henzler drove an entirely trouble free race in the new Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid. “The hybrid vehicle impressed with outstanding efficiency and one less pit stop than most competitors. The hybrid system clearly helped us to save fuel. Moreover, it?s a great feeling to have those extra 120 kW from the electric motors when you accelerate out of the corners”,?Bergmeister reported.

Mamerow Racing’s Porsche 911 GT3 R with drivers Chris Mamerow and Sascha Bert also put in an excellent drive until they were sidelined by an accident while running second.

Also, the standard street-specification Porsche 911 GT3 RS was taken through another test for the 24 hour race in May. “We made some changes to the set-up during the practice and race in preparation for the 24 hour race”, explains former DTM pilot Roland Asch (Germany). “When you?re in the middle of the race action, you almost forget you?re sitting in a road-going car. I’m very much looking forward to contesting the 24 hour race.

Round three of the Nürburgring Long Distance Championship takes off on 24 April at midday with a duration of four hours.
    *Article from Planetlemans.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LTSmash; 04-12-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Was inevitable ....

Nurburgring - In the fourth round of the VLN Endurance Championship Nürburgring, Porsche has won a victory that will go down in racing history. Marco Holzer (Lochau), Patrick Long (USA) and Richard Lietz (Austria) crossed in the Porsche 911 GT3 R of the hybrid Manthey Porsche 4:03:46,969 after hours in the lead, the finish line, marking the first hybrid win on the Nordschleife.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

You know its coming....Its not running at Le Mans right?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

You know its coming....Its not running at Le Mans right?
    no, the only Hybrid is the Hope Racing Oreca.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    no, the only Hybrid is the Hope Racing Oreca.
    And that is the "Flybrid" system? Fully mechanical flywheel based hybrid?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

And that is the "Flybrid" system? Fully mechanical flywheel based hybrid?
    indeed it is.

Thread Information