Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkswagen Polo GTI (Mk 5 - 6R) 2010-

This car reeks of about 3 different kinds of want.

Practical want - as it can be justified as being economical.

Snobby want - It's a VW. My mother will approve.

Performance want - Super + Turbo Charged? Yes Please.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I honestly doubt it will manage to achieve that fuel consumption, surely not if anybody except my grandma is driving. On the other hand it should also be much better than the old gen to drive, given the progress they made with the Golf and the standard Polo as well.

1.194 kg isn't bad considering it's turbocharged and supercharged, plus it has the DGS gearbox. The 1.6 TDI weight exactly 90 kg less, so perhaps a few kg could have been saved but nothing special.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I honestly doubt it will manage to achieve that fuel consumption, surely not if anybody except my grandma is driving.
    But that happens with all cars, so relatively it will probably still be pretty impressive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But that happens with all cars, so relatively it will probably still be pretty impressive.
    That's has yet to be seen. Modern cars are far more sensitive to how you drive for as regards fuel consumption, mainly thanks to the electronics.
    The fuel consumption and emission level are registered trough a certified test, so it isn't that hard to teach the electronics to recognize those situations and act quite differently from the otherwise ordinary situations. That's my point. An actual 5.9 L/100 km fuel consumption from a 1.4 liter petrol engine with 180 bhp would make diesel engines pointless even considering the size of the car.

Surely it will be better than say the Golf GTI, that's for sure, but nothing is better than real driving in the long term to judge a car, from every point of view, and I think this is quite obvious over here.

Like, the Croma has a good fuel consumption, on the other hand the engine is silent (from the inside) and the ride is good, so the result is that we drive it quicker than what we do with the Stilo without even noticing it, and therefore it needs more fuel. one could say the car is thirsty, but it's actually more about how you drive it, once again.
    Oh, 18" tires do a lot in this respect, for worse.

Of course the ultimate test is driving the car. This is especially clear with the Delta, which while having very good official figures and them being relatively achiveable if you drive carefully, gets exponentially thirsty as you increase speed and acceleration demands. In fact it could get to the point where the 1.8 Di could actually be better than the, in theory, more frugal 1.4 T-Jet.

But what I meant to say, is that even if the official figures don't reflect real life fuel consumption, we could compare it relatively to its rivals because both won't get the fuel mileage announced, but probably the relative differences will stay, more or less.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Of course the ultimate test is driving the car. This is especially clear with the Delta, which while having very good official figures and them being relatively achiveable if you drive carefully, gets exponentially thirsty as you increase speed and acceleration demands. In fact it could get to the point where the 1.8 Di could actually be better than the, in theory, more frugal 1.4 T-Jet.

But what I meant to say, is that even if the official figures don't reflect real life fuel consumption, we could compare it relatively to its rivals because both won't get the fuel mileage announced, but probably the relative differences will stay, more or less.
    That could be the case, even if I found turbo/supercharged cars more affected by this.
    Considering the Clio RS, being a naturally aspirated high revving engine, it isn't unlikely that you will often drive using say the 70% of the power because it would also mean driving at, don't know, 5.000 rpm.
    On a turbocharged car, like with diesels, you more often deploy a high percentage of the full power, and that is reflected in the fuel consumptions of course. Fortunately for diesel engines, they are less sensitive to this.

Love it.
    R.I.P DKW, Beef, Burnsie & Col McRae.

Thanks for everything. We'll miss you all.

I like it.

I have this engine (but 125kW) in the much larger Golf and it's a nice thing to drive. I can only imagine how much better the lighter Polo would be, along with another 7kW.

Looks far better than the old slab-sided Pogo. Still a bit low rent compared to the Golf, but that's understandable - a different market buys these things.

As for its fuel economy - I have no doubt it can achieve the claimed figures. No-one believed the TSI Golf would get its low figures either. But they did. It's just darned hard to drive it economically - the whine of that blower is addictive...

Now with a 1.8 litre engine and a manual because old one wasn't selling at all #3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Now with a 1.8 litre engine and a manual because old one wasn't selling at all #4
    Visca Catalunya!

Now with a 1.8 litre engine and a manual because old one wasn't selling at all #5
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information