2 4.88%
  • Ferrari F430 Scuderia

1 2.44%
  • Fiat Panda 100 HP

3 7.32%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Awards 2009: Car of the Decade [Preliminary Voting 1]

UCP Awards 2009: Car of the Decade [Preliminary Voting 1]

Ok first off, I needed to make some model clarifications in which I chose models that fit in the correct time. The Tuscan apparently started production in 1999 so I chose the Tuscan S. I hope this pisses no one off. I also consolidated the nominations for the new MINI into the R53 Cooper S. If you are angry, well that's too bad I suppose, cmcpokey wins.

There are three voting threads, the first two with 11 cars, and third with 10. The cars are arranged alphabetically. I don't see a problem with voting in each thread, if someone does see a problem with this, it's probably gonna be hard to stop people from voting in more than one thread anyways.

The winner of each of the three voting threads will go to the final voting thread and then we will vote on the winner.

Also, this thread had been deleted- it has been reformed. I made a boo boo. Thanks for the kind words aisab!

I believe Top Gear is right on this.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Not sure if dividing the cars alphabetically was suitable if then the winner of each thread is going to be selected. It would be better to pick the three cars which received most votes, regardless of which thread they belong to.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Not sure if dividing the cars alphabetically was suitable if then the winner of each thread is going to be selected. It would be better to pick the three cars which received most votes, regardless of which thread they belong to.
    I disagree, because not everyone may vote in each poll.

This is how it's going down unless someone presents me with astounding evidence why it shouldn't happen this way.

I would say the top 2 or three from each thread would be best. If you're doing a run off you do have the room so there's no reason not too and it does give more of a fair vote I think.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I agree with wwgkd, 8 or 10 cars in the final 'heat' might not be a bad idea.

How about we vote on how we should vote! hahaha kidding kidding

I think that's giving a car that's already been eliminated an unfair chance. Ideally, there would only be one poll and people would chose the car they liked most. If you do a runoff, things are compromised as in the second round people may not vote for the car they most like as it's not there. If you start adding more than 1 car from each run off, even less deserving cars get more of a chance - people make compromises and a car that shouldn't be in the final in the first place and would have no chance of winning in one grand poll could end up winning and I think that's bullshit which is why I want to do it my way - it minimizes people compromising their decisions.

EDIT: I have made a huge error. I missed one car for car of the decade and it was a pretty important one. badda nominated the Ferrari Enzo. Now my initial idea is that this car woulda probably had a lot of votes and I am thinking of forwarding it to the final vote if enough of you think that this car is deserving of that. I figure a bunch of dudes woulda voted for it anyways. We could just have a poll asking if the Enzo should make the finals or not or something I dunno.

I apologize, I shoulda scrutinized harder and/or gotten one of you guys to double check the nominations.

What do you think should be done?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 02-22-2010 at 07:40 PM.

From an engineering standpoint the Veyron is truly incredible. But frankly the 430 Scuderia is more fun and better looking.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    From an engineering standpoint the Veyron is truly incredible. But frankly the 430 Scuderia is more fun and better looking.
    I would disagree with that. For that money 1,000hp isn't that impressive. Engineering means designing things well, and the engine is overly complex and heavy. The body is high drag with very little or no downforce unless you have a giant wing rise out of the back, which prevents it from reaching it's top speed and defeating the whole point of the car. The thing weighs more than a fullsize pickup. Where did all this brilliant engineering and money come into play?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I would disagree with that. For that money 1,000hp isn't that impressive. Engineering means designing things well, and the engine is overly complex and heavy. The body is high drag with very little or no downforce unless you have a giant wing rise out of the back, which prevents it from reaching it's top speed and defeating the whole point of the car. The thing weighs more than a fullsize pickup. Where did all this brilliant engineering and money come into play?
    In the comfy, reliable and useable 400km/h performance.

I think it deserves a place in the final.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the comfy, reliable and useable 400km/h performance.
    Naturally. Forget what it costs. Where is 400km/h useable again?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    just wondering, did you have the pleasure to drive the 4-door C6?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What do you think should be done?

Indeed, I think you should put the Enzo in the final, as a sort of wildcard. I think we can agree that it deserves to be in the final, heck it might even win.

Ferrer isn't really one you want to pick a fight with over this. He does not like the Veyron at all, yet he appreciates how it sort of typified the decade.

It is the ultimate be all and end all for the horseopwer/speed wars - fine, there may be cars that are faster than it now and faster than it in the future, but the Veyron is something special - a technological dream.

Ferrer at least wasn't voting as a fanboy.

Nowhere. But it is not the point.

As kitdy said, I don't like the car. I'd never have one. And I think that in the real world it's pointless and that you're going to have a lot more fun in a Mazda MX-5.

But, what the Veyron did was redefine what was thought of being possible. It pushed the outside of the envelope. It made everything else before it look like it was from the 1950s. The amount of engineering put into it makes it a masterpiece.

The Veyron made the automobile move forwards.

For that alone it deserves a place in the final.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information