Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irritated with America's racetrack locations

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California

Irritated with America's racetrack locations

Arghhh fml lol I hate that I live in America. I'll be legal to drive in a month and this means I'll be able to pursuit my dream of being a touring car driver, but I really hate that I live in a part of California where I'm sort of out of reach of any major race track and all the driver schools I wish I could get into I can't afford. The two closest race tracks are Infineon Raceway and Thunderhill Raceway. They are a few hours away its really irritating, oh well. Does anyone have any advice? I was thinking of moving to England somewhere near Silverstone, attending college there and trying to get recognized by doing a few races there.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

just follow the G35coupe route
    make your own track up
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Haha clutch monkey...

Iwmakemh...I dont know much about making it as a touring car driver, but instead of moving all the way out to England to be near a track, why not try moving over by infineon or thunderhill raceway?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

How much of an opportunity would living near a track really present? Track days aren't cheap either.

You're more likely to have to pay your way into a team than to be recognised. Your best bet is to find a lucrative career and build up some cash reserves and then have at it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    How much of an opportunity would living near a track really present? Track days aren't cheap either.
    This. Sorry man, but if you can't afford the school you probably couldn't afford the track time either. And moving to england to go to college isn't going to earn you any money.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

yeah, if you want to be a touring car driver (or any racer really) you are getting a late start. the best bet is to hit up a few racing schools, jim russel at infineon or skip barber down by me at laguna. then you shell out a bunch of money to get into a spec series, and do well and get noticed. then you go on from there. you can do it in england or germany or japan or here. but just know that it won't be cheap or easy.

the best way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a big one.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

oh, and living close to a track means very little... you will have to get to all of these track for races regardless. if you are on the west coast you can figure on driving everywhere from the washington tracks to the socal tracks, since they are almost no single track series.

Yeah I know, I'm starting late, a lot of people start of karting at an early age. As of now I can't afford driving school soon I will be able too hopefully lol cars aren't cheap. Oh well, its a dream. I know track days aren't cheap lol and drivers school isn't nether.
    LOL Anyone wanna send me a link to where G35coupe said he had the secret racetrack? haha
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Anyone wanna send me a link to where G35coupe said he had the secret racetrack?
    http://www.clown-ministry.com/images...wonderland.jpg

step 1: buy street registered track car
    step 2: go to trackdays (it's only a few hours you said?)

success
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Even if I don't go through with the motorsports thing I do plan on going to college for some kind of engineering I would love to keep myself around motorsports anyways.
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Yeah I guess, I'm just frustrated -__- it would be a good hobby, if I don't go through with it.
    -Jeremy Clarkson

other things to consider:

autox. cheap and easy, held all over the place. not going to get you in circuit racing, but will teach you some great car control.

Lemons/chumpcar. cheaper than real racing, but certainly real racing. i myself am trying to get into a race at some point this year.

links: http://www.chumpcar.com/
    http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
    and not sure what city youre in but this is the san fran region scca: http://www.sfrscca.org/index.php
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 02-22-2010 at 07:22 PM.

could try go-karting, i know the ones my mechanic uses hit 190km/h.. scary stuff when you're 2 inches from the ground.

Thread Information