Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irritated with America's racetrack locations

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Hi All
    I just adapted the thread title a little, just to avoid irrelevant debates......
    The new title works better, thanks =]

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    not just in kansas, but pretty much anywhere. there are very few localities willing to host one, or allow it to happen anyway. a few weeks ago i was talking to a guy that competes in hillclimbs, and the closest 2 to me are on the CA/OR border, which is a good 8 hour drive from here.

i think autox is a very different ballgame to track racing, and you can't go into it thinking it will be the same. it isnt like a track where you try over the course of a bunch of laps to knock little bits of time, trying to find the right brake point and when you can get on the gas. with autox you have 4-5 runs, and thats it. and thr track is different every time. its much more a test of how well can you learn the course, and adapt your driving to suit it.

i'd rather be out on a real track, but it is super expensive, much harder to get track time on a weekend, and the only failure of any kind i have had was at the track. so your speculation about wear and tear isn't 100% fair. it is rough on your tires, but so is track time. it's not hard on brakes at all. it can be on suspension, but that depends on where the course is, and its not as hard it hitting the kerbs at the apex. for someone without a dedicated track car autox is a much more reasonable proposition. this is just my perspective as having done both.
    It is so expensive, if I could afford it I would be out as much as possible. Wear and tear isn't a problem, tires or somewhat cheap and well I won't be driving a newer car so junk yard is my best friend XD

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    ITT: A dream is euthanized.
    LOL PWN3D

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Where do you live/attend school?
    I live in Stockton, California and I don't see why where I go to school is relevant to my ranting, sorry mate.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    am i the only one who hates autocross/motorkhana?
    I have love/hate feelings about it. It looks really interesting to me so I'm going to look into it.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by iwmakemh View Post
    I live in Stockton, California and I don't see why where I go to school is relevant to my ranting, sorry mate.
    Oh, I just wanted to know where your approximate location is/was. I'm currently living in Davis right now. The fact that you listed Thunderhill and Infinenon kinda made me want to ask that.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

not just in kansas, but pretty much anywhere. there are very few localities willing to host one, or allow it to happen anyway. a few weeks ago i was talking to a guy that competes in hillclimbs, and the closest 2 to me are on the CA/OR border, which is a good 8 hour drive from here.
    FFUUUU-
    i think autox is a very different ballgame to track racing, and you can't go into it thinking it will be the same.
    agreed, which is probably why i don't like it.
    i'd rather be out on a real track, but it is super expensive, much harder to get track time on a weekend, and the only failure of any kind i have had was at the track. so your speculation about wear and tear isn't 100% fair. it is rough on your tires, but so is track time. it's not hard on brakes at all. it can be on suspension, but that depends on where the course is, and its not as hard it hitting the kerbs at the apex. for someone without a dedicated track car autox is a much more reasonable proposition. this is just my perspective as having done both.
    yeah autox is pretty cheap to set up, we used to have it as a side event at trackdays, but everyone else in the club hated it too, basically.
    i do think it is harsher on the cars than a track, wrenching it around at low speeds like that.
    also skid pan days can be pretty fun to just improve car control?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    FFUUUU-
    hence i don't do it.
    agreed, which is probably why i don't like it.

yeah autox is pretty cheap to set up, we used to have it as a side event at trackdays, but everyone else in the club hated it too, basically.
    i do think it is harsher on the cars than a track, wrenching it around at low speeds like that.
    also skid pan days can be pretty fun to just improve car control?
    i imagine you also dont have the autox culture as well. as it has been an aside for a trackday, there probably arent a glut of people that know what theyre doing. autoxers are the geekiest group of racers out there. they obsess about tire pressures and being so precise that you can clip a cone and not have it move. not the general perspective of track drivers. after nearly a donzen autoxes i am finally getting to the point where i am understanding what i am doing and putting up decent times.

and if you are messing up your car, you are doing it wrong. slow is smooth. smooth is fast.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

There was a series on Autoblog recently about getting into kart racing, that might be worth looking up for you.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Guys!!! If we are talking about cheap, convenient racing nothing beats drag racing!

there are literally oodles of drag strips EVERYWHERE in america. It usually costs no more than 10-20$ for an entire day. You'll never get a career as a touring car driver doing it...but its still racing!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Oh, I just wanted to know where your approximate location is/was. I'm currently living in Davis right now. The fact that you listed Thunderhill and Infinenon kinda made me want to ask that.
    Yeah, its fine XD I just read "where do you live and what school do you go to" I normally wouldn't care lol I just started to think and I was like ummmm no haha. I really want to go to Thunderhill I'll be able to afford one track day in a few months, I'll just have to stop spending all my money haha.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Guys!!! If we are talking about cheap, convenient racing nothing beats drag racing!

there are literally oodles of drag strips EVERYWHERE in america. It usually costs no more than 10-20$ for an entire day. You'll never get a career as a touring car driver doing it...but its still racing!
    Friends of mine wanted me to try drag racing, it doesn't really spark my interest. You gotta have some skill to run consistent times though I respect it entirely.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

just at the regional autox forum and found the site for your local chapter of scca. you can go check them out and see what the whole autoxing thing is like.

Fresno SCCA Forums - Calendar
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Sorry for a negative input, but you're way too late to make it in European racing series.
    You'll need good backing and sponsorship to get a car competitive enough to shine in.
    To get those you Will need to prove ability ... and sponsors like to see results, so hence over here if you haven't half a dozen years in karts and other lower formula you won't get on track to the bigger guys in saloon and single seater.

Have you undertaken any track coaching/evaluation ?
    I'd recommend investing in a days track tuition at a recognized school who won't BS you.
    These guys can evaluate your skills and be frank about what it would take to improve.
    SOME folks have a very innate natural ability to feel and control a car and that can certainly shave a few years of the "learning curve". Other times there are simple issues identified which will limit future progress. A few hundred bucks spent now could save you 10's of thousands over the next few years.

Don't let this reduce your enthusiasm, but be prepared for knockbacks, refusals and the inevitable getting shown up on track by a 12 year old kid

Maybe focusing on the engineering and using the income to fund an amateur race career is a good way forward ?

I wouldn't come near the UK just now, thousands of very successful HIGHLY talented drivers at all levels are desperately seeking sponsorship and a seat Never seen it so bad.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Vancouver may have held the most recent greatest sporting event, but try to race your car anywhere near the city, it is a no go!

RX8 owners talked about somewhere out Boundary Bay airport adn also this link VCMC Motorsport Club - FAQ to get some
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information