View Poll Results: Should the Ferrari Enzo get a bye to the final?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 40.00%
  • No

18 60.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCP Awards 2009: Car of the Decade [The Enzo Issue]

Thats the problem with making arbitrary free polls like this where there are no judging criteria other than "what do you like?"

the ones with the most mass appeal will win. It's a popularity contest as opposed to something more quantifiable.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I appreciate the enzo, And I think it only got the accolade for moving the goal posts because it was the first propper supercar of the decade, ANY of the current cars would have its position if they went on sale in a different order.

Thus I think the murcielago is a contender due to its longetivity.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I appreciate the enzo, And I think it only got the accolade for moving the goal posts because it was the first propper supercar of the decade, ANY of the current cars would have its position if they went on sale in a different order.

Thus I think the murcielago is a contender due to its longetivity.
    So it's the first, and it managed to move the posts, but it doesn't count as important because it wasn't in production as long? Why not the Crovette then? Much higher production numbers, too. Or the Mustang? Both of them had a more significant impact on the automotive world throughout their lives than the Murcie did.

Edit: I'm not so sure that those other cars would have taken it's place, either. After that first crop of super cars came out and the dust settled, the Enzo was still the fastest. Even at the end of the decade it's still one of the fastest of those that are available worldwide (meeting US standards is a feat that many haven't attempted.)
    Last edited by wwgkd; 02-23-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: additional thoughs
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

What if the voting changes from overall car of the year to car of the year and then supercar of the year?

... and decade I guess.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's... car of the decade... you know?
    LOL sorry I didn't pay much attention when I was writing it. Fail haha
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

i didn't bother reading anyone else's reasons and i'm sry if i'm repeating somethin someone else already said but no b/c it's neither the fastest nor best handling nor best looking supercar of the decade and if we're gonna vote a non-practical 6 to 7 figure collectors item car of the decade then it might as well fit into said characteristics

whut.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

He says it's not the best looking or the smartest, so he says no too.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    i didn't bother reading anyone else's reasons and i'm sry if i'm repeating somethin someone else already said
    I'll come right out and say it, I hate the Veyron and I would much rather have an Enzo. But Top Gear got it right; the Veyron raised the bar for all future spercars.

I don't even think we can say that the Enzo "surpassed" any of it's predecessors--the 288 GTO, F40, and F50--when taking into account advancements in technology. The Nissan GT-R is an unbelievable sportscar but is was preceded by the equally amazing R32, R33, and R34. In the world of supercars, the Veyron caused what the respective worlds of science and philosophy would refer to as a "paradigm shift". Not only did it set a new standard, it completely changed the game. And until an equally groundbreaking vehicle is produced, everything that calls itself a supercar will be compared to the Veyron. Its accolades are comparable only to the McLaren F1, which definided "supercar" for an entire decade right up unitl the Veyron.

In summation: no, the Enzo should not advance to the next round because it in no way merits the honor of "Car of the Decade".
    Last edited by demonrunning07; 02-24-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: grammar, I'm OCD.

I would also say that the cars should be (had been) available to the public, which rules out the Enzo, because Ferrari asked the people they wanted to own an Enzo to buy 1.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    No. I don't think it's special enough.

The Murcielago should have a spot because it is THE definitive supercar of the decade.
    Disagree. First, there's a LOT of Diablo in the Murci's chassis and engine. Second, it didn't push the envelope in any spectacular way; it didn't set a new standard for performance or top speed or handling or performance/usability. That being said it is a GREAT looking car and I'm totally a fan.

I really think the performance car of the decade title has to be split three ways: the Ferrari 430 Scuderia for being fun, fast and beautiful; the Nissan GT-R for technological achievement in a relatively attainable and usable car; and finally the Veyron for setting a bar so high it might never be surpassed.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Maybe we're bored of the Enzo after seeing it for almost 10 years now. The styling is so controversial that I don't see any part of the exterior that's "memorable" other than the fact that it spread its ugliness to other Ferraris after it.

I definitely appreciate the mechanical bits of it, but from an aesthetic point of view, it's garbage.

So yes, I hate it too.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Disagree. First, there's a LOT of Diablo in the Murci's chassis and engine. Second, it didn't push the envelope in any spectacular way; it didn't set a new standard for performance or top speed or handling or performance/usability. That being said it is a GREAT looking car and I'm totally a fan.

I really think the performance car of the decade title has to be split three ways: the Ferrari 430 Scuderia for being fun, fast and beautiful; the Nissan GT-R for technological achievement in a relatively attainable and usable car; and finally the Veyron for setting a bar so high it might never be surpassed.
    I'd substitute the Enzo for the F430, but otherwise I'd agree.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Maybe we're bored of the Enzo after seeing it for almost 10 years now. The styling is so controversial that I don't see any part of the exterior that's "memorable" other than the fact that it spread its ugliness to other Ferraris after it.

I definitely appreciate the mechanical bits of it, but from an aesthetic point of view, it's garbage.

So yes, I hate it too.
    I can't remember who I had this discussion with before, so if it was you forgive me for repeating myself: First, I really don't think the Enzo works in red; there's a dark blue on in NY and a medium blue metallic in France and I think those two are fantastic looking, it also looks nice in black or yellow. Second, I like the Enzo because it's very design-y, where I think most people like the F40 because it's very race-y looking and looks great in red.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I can't remember who I had this discussion with before, so if it was you forgive me for repeating myself: First, I really don't think the Enzo works in red; there's a dark blue on in NY and a medium blue metallic in France and I think those two are fantastic looking, it also looks nice in black or yellow. Second, I like the Enzo because it's very design-y, where I think most people like the F40 because it's very race-y looking and looks great in red.

Very few modern Ferrari's look good in red IMO...it mostly hides the lines...all those older smooth body shape F-cars looked okay in red.

Thread Information