Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummer to Close Down

BREAKING NEWS:

Reports that drug companies for Extenze, Enzyte, and ProSolution are expecting increased equity financing as a result of the defunct SUV subsidiary Hummer. Q2 sales are anticipating a huge sales increase. Moody's has increased ratings of drug companies to Aaa. Corporate debt has received very low risk ratings. Hummer's fall may be the greatest news for the penis enlargement industry.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    MRAPS are large trucks and not designed for the cross country jaunts the Humvee was. for it's real replacement check out the M-ATV, which is smaller than the MRAP, but has a similar design. When you look at the purpose of the Humvee you see why it was designed the way it was. it was built in a time when we were still preparing for a large scale conventional war. troops would be on the front lines in armor, and would follow in the lightly or unarmored trucks and Humvees. they were designed to replace jeeps which were small, maneuverable, and had no sense of armor. the army didn't really plan on conducting large scale, opposed urban patrols. the concept of war has drastically shifted in the last 8 years, and like all outdated equipment, it needs to be replaced.
    Okay good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    Of the three brands GM has shut down in the past year or so, Hummer is the only one I'm not sorry to see go.

Losing Pontiac was a damn shame, and Saturn had the potential to be really interesting, but Hummer never really established itself properly. Sure, they were capable, but look at the type of people who actually bought them. They were more often flaunted as gaudy status symbols then they were used as all-purpose mountain goats. I have nothing against the idea of cars as status symbols, but the Hummer rapidly became a caricature of what it was meant to be. In some ways, it represents a lot of what was wrong with America in the past decade. Good riddance.
    Agreed. Hummer was just a fad vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    although the H2 was taken from GM parts bins, it was a very capable vehicle nothing short of an off road vehicle. the H3 i can't say that much for.

i would love to take an H1 off road.
    It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Okay good points.

Agreed. Hummer was just a fad vehicle.
    He beat me to it. Also consider the cost of the M-ATV ($500,000-$1,500,000)vs a Humvee (tops out less than $200,000). If you don't need the M-ATV then you wouldn't want to pay for it. It's also much bigger and heavier than the humvee, so in area's where you're not having problems with large IEDs or RPGs they're going to continue using the Humvee for a while. It was a good run of over 20 years in service, but times have moved on.

The problem with the Hummer as a civilian vehicle was that it was never meant to be luxurious, and can't really serve the purpose. The people who used it as a truck bought a base model and continued using it 'till it stopped working, and weren't as profitable a market as the fad types who were expected to buy a top of the line model every year or two. But marketing to the fad types pushed the base price from about $36,000 to $80,000 in just a couple of years, which killed it's usefullness as a work truck. I had hoped that selling the rights to GM would bring the base price back down to a reasonable level for a work truck (at the time a 4,000lb payload rating was phenominal and very competitive for less than $50,000) but instead they pushed it even further in the wrong direction.

Hummer for me died when they decided it was a brand and not a model. Once the name came to represent everything I despise in a truck I lost all sympathy for lagging sales.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

If anything Hummer will be seen as one of the most eccentric attempts to enter suv history.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    It's fun.

He beat me to it. Also consider the cost of the M-ATV ($500,000-$1,500,000)vs a Humvee (tops out less than $200,000). If you don't need the M-ATV then you wouldn't want to pay for it. It's also much bigger and heavier than the humvee, so in area's where you're not having problems with large IEDs or RPGs they're going to continue using the Humvee for a while. It was a good run of over 20 years in service, but times have moved on.

The problem with the Hummer as a civilian vehicle was that it was never meant to be luxurious, and can't really serve the purpose. The people who used it as a truck bought a base model and continued using it 'till it stopped working, and weren't as profitable a market as the fad types who were expected to buy a top of the line model every year or two. But marketing to the fad types pushed the base price from about $36,000 to $80,000 in just a couple of years, which killed it's usefullness as a work truck. I had hoped that selling the rights to GM would bring the base price back down to a reasonable level for a work truck (at the time a 4,000lb payload rating was phenominal and very competitive for less than $50,000) but instead they pushed it even further in the wrong direction.

Hummer for me died when they decided it was a brand and not a model. Once the name came to represent everything I despise in a truck I lost all sympathy for lagging sales.
    Wait, it was available for $36,000? Did they add equipment to it to justify the price? Luxuriousness?

That's nuts. I knew that it was expensive, but still. No wonder it died in terms of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    BREAKING NEWS:

Reports that drug companies for Extenze, Enzyte, and ProSolution are expecting increased equity financing as a result of the defunct SUV subsidiary Hummer. Q2 sales are anticipating a huge sales increase. Moody's has increased ratings of drug companies to Aaa. Corporate debt has received very low risk ratings. Hummer's fall may be the greatest news for the penis enlargement industry.
    I would wait to invest in them.

There's still the Cayenne Turbo.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    BREAKING NEWS:

I laughed. Hard.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wait, it was available for $36,000? Did they add equipment to it to justify the price? Luxuriousness?

That's nuts. I knew that it was expensive, but still. No wonder it died in terms of sales.
    The base stripper model was available for that price, but it wasn't much more comfortable than the military model (if you've had any experience with those, they don't even use real seats.) One of my cousins had a couple (2 door pickup and a 4 door wagon) as part of their company fleet and they worked pretty well hauling heavy stuff into the middle of nowhere.

But the Lake Tahoe types who saw that schwartzeneger had one and decided they wanted one complained that they wanted power everything, name brand sound systems and seats, quieter HVAC, etc. And it jacked the price up quite a bit for AM General to be adding those options without ever justifying the price in terms of a luxury vehicle. I have no idea what GM thought they were doing with it, but they continued the trend, once again failing to justify price in terms of what you actually got since you really can't turn a military truck into a luxury vehicle.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    The base stripper model was available for that price, but it wasn't much more comfortable than the military model (if you've had any experience with those, they don't even use real seats.) One of my cousins had a couple (2 door pickup and a 4 door wagon) as part of their company fleet and they worked pretty well hauling heavy stuff into the middle of nowhere.

But the Lake Tahoe types who saw that schwartzeneger had one and decided they wanted one complained that they wanted power everything, name brand sound systems and seats, quieter HVAC, etc. And it jacked the price up quite a bit for AM General to be adding those options without ever justifying the price in terms of a luxury vehicle. I have no idea what GM thought they were doing with it, but they continued the trend, once again failing to justify price in terms of what you actually got since you really can't turn a military truck into a luxury vehicle.
    Gotcha.

Thank god and good riddance. Always hated Hummers.

The real shame is that this is going to really kill the northern Indiana economy even more than it has been. Indiana is and has always been dependent upon the Big 3, as well and much of the states surrounding the great lakes. But Indiana has had so many plants shut down, i just hope that those families working for the Mishawaka plant are able to find new work. On a personal note i think that the Hummer brand was a bad attempt in general. I would love to had a civy humvee, but what was made is a trumped up over priced vehicle that the buyers of which will never use it for what was meant for it. (unless you count the potholes in suburbia) If the base price stayed where wwgkd said they started and moved in that direction as opposed to trying to be a wanna be military vehicle dressed up like a Cadillac It might have survived.

BREAKING NEWS:

You should be writing for the Onion, LT... sad, true and funny enough to make one wet one's self. What's the Depends demo?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

i always thought the price was justified for everything it came with mechanically. luxury wise its not a luxury vehicle. it is a bad ass off roader stock
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

^^^ not for the most recent HUmmers ^^^
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    You should be writing for the Onion, LT
    Thank you, sir.

Thread Information