23 44.23%
  • Nissan GT-R (R35)

16 30.77%
  • Pagani Zonda F

13 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCP Car of the Decade [Final]

UCP Car of the Decade [Final]

So the three finalists are the Bugatti Veyron, the Nissan GT-R, and the Pagani Zonda F.

Which will get your vote? If you please - and I hope you do as it inspires some good discussion and that is what a forum is all about - let us know what you vote for, and most importantly, why that car deserves your vote.

The last decade I feel was a great decade for cars - I feel the 90s was a recovery from the lacklustre 70s and 80s (this is from a North American perspective at least) and it seems to me that the late 90s rolled onto the early 2000s and we had a great selection of cars of high quality to choose from. We had a decade of supercars, dick wagging contests, Nürburgring laptimes, Top Gear, hypercars (if you believe there is such a thing), horsepower wars, displacement wars... We had it all. It was a decade of excess up until late 2008 at least, and perhaps the 3 cars that made it to the final represent this - perhaps not. Some, like csl, will decry there being 3 supercars in the final, others I am sure think these three are worthy and in some way helped define this automotive decade.

EDIT: DAMNIT!!! I forgot to click add a poll! I typed in the amount of entrants but I didn't click the poll button! I need a mod to delete this please.

So go ahead and vote - I urge you to take a minute and think about your vote before you do though. Your gut reaction may feel right, but when you use your brain to temper your emotions I feel you will come up with a better answer.

May the best car win!

This is bullshit! MINI!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The GT-R is the Real World Capable Car.

The Veyron is the Hypercar.

And the Zonda F is somewhere in between.

I vote for the Veyron for three reasons.

1) It's a perfect representation of the ostentatious, hyped and overly complex '00's.

2) It's, despite the negativity, a car that cannot be ignored.

3) It's a car thats going to be on the bedroom wall of an 8 year old boy, and thats exactly what a Supercar should be.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

UCP Car of the Decade [Final - This Time with Poll!]

OK so I screwed up the other thread. Here we go, with voting this time!

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

So the three finalists are the Bugatti Veyron, the Nissan GT-R, and the Pagani Zonda F.

Which will get your vote? If you please - and I hope you do as it inspires some good discussion and that is what a forum is all about - let us know what you vote for, and most importantly, why that car deserves your vote.

The last decade I feel was a great decade for cars - I feel the 90s was a recovery from the lacklustre 70s and 80s (this is from a North American perspective at least) and it seems to me that the late 90s rolled onto the early 2000s and we had a great selection of cars of high quality to choose from. We had a decade of supercars, dick wagging contests, Nürburgring laptimes, Top Gear, hypercars (if you believe there is such a thing), horsepower wars, displacement wars... We had it all. It was a decade of excess up until late 2008 at least, and perhaps the 3 cars that made it to the final represent this - perhaps not. Some, like csl, will decry there being 3 supercars in the final, others I am sure think these three are worthy and in some way helped define this automotive decade.

So go ahead and vote - I urge you to take a minute and think about your vote before you do though. Your gut reaction may feel right, but when you use your brain to temper your emotions I feel you will come up with a better answer.

May the best car win!

Try again...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

The poll closes in 4 days aka March 3 at 3:36 AM EST.

Mods, please delete/merge this thread with this one.

Many thanks.

It's curious because the car that I'd never vote is the one I like and the others are brilliant but they leave completely cold.

First the one that would neve get my vote. The Zonda. I simply adore it. It's everything a supercar should be. It's dramatic, stylish, it has charisma, incredible attention to detail and it looks a bit preposterous. And after a period of average and the ugly prepotent Ferraris and sub-par and outdated Lamborghinis, the Zonda came to restore all the glory the italian supercars deserve. And on top of all it's got the engineering, the performance and the handling. And a big normally aspirated V12 and a proper manual. But next to its contenders it doesn't represent an incredible leap forward like they do. It's just an improvement on the traditional receipe, and there's nothing wrong with that, just not worth of an award.

Now, for the ones I think are deserving winners. Both cars merits have been extensively discussed elsewhere, so I'm not going to repeat all the points that have been exposed and which I mainly agree with all of them. But this the time to decide, which is really more deserving.

And I personally think that it is the GT-R. Yes the Veyron is perhaps outright more impressive, but as has been said other cars have caught with it and ever surpassed it. They are not probably on the same lever of allroundness but they do pretty much the same for less. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that, if the Bugatti wins, it'll be a deserving winner and an astonishing engineering achievement in itself in my opinion.

The GT-R on the other hand is the other way round from the Veyron. Impressive performance but wrapped up in a (more or less) practical package and excellent value for money. The Veyron runs very fast, but then again it has 4 turbos and a million horsepowers. The GT-R on the other hands beats cars that should teorethically beat it if you looked at the numbers. And it often costs quite a lot less. And you can buy and service one in a Nissan dealer. Well done indeed Nissan, you've created THE benchmark.

Where the Veyron runs on brute force, the GT-R runs on whitchcraft. And that's why I think it should win.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I agree with Ferrer. The GTR of these three is by far the most sensible, practical and obtainable car. It still sets the benchmark in terms of value for money, and even though Porsche has frantically pumped up the performance of the Turbo, they still did not manage to reduce its price.......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I too am with Ferrer + Henk4. The Zonda is a throw-back to supercars of days gone by, radical styling and old fashioned muscle, sort of the pinnacle of that concept but not worthy enough for the award.

The Veyron indeed takes modern engineering to its extreme but at the end of the day thats all it is, an engineering exercise. It doesn't really advance/benefit the way future cars will be made in any way i can see at least.

The GTR however does just that whether intentionally or not, other manufacturers have been all over it since they could get their hands on one trying to figure out how they can improve to compete with it and as Henk4 said they just can't do it for a similar price. It's probably the best compromise of being an all rounder (aside from off-roader) as well. For these reasons it gets my vote (just as it did in the prelim's).

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

The GT-R on the other hand is the other way round from the Veyron. Impressive performance but wrapped up in a (more or less) practical package and excellent value for money. The Veyron runs very fast, but then again it has 4 turbos and a million horsepowers. The GT-R on the other hands beats cars that should teorethically beat it if you looked at the numbers. And it often costs quite a lot less. And you can buy and service one in a Nissan dealer. Well done indeed Nissan, you've created THE benchmark.

Where the Veyron runs on brute force, the GT-R runs on whitchcraft. And that's why I think it should win.
    While I agree 100%, and admit that the GT-R does not get enough credit, I gave my vote to the Zonda F... simply because if I were a multi-millionaire I couldn't imagine myself driving another car. Oh, and the paddles on the GT-R are such a turn-off

does anybody else find the fact tha tthe Veyron and GT-R made to the finals a bit odd? they both have traits that we here at UCP generally eschew. Turbocharged, all wheel drive, paddle shifters. but i think they are both amazing cars on so many levels, and they are really the pinnacles of the decade. i can't add anything that Albert didn't already say, but i agree with him completely. GT-R has my vote.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I agree with Ferrer, et al. Of the 3, I would buy the Zonda, but I vote for the GT-R. It's definitely not my kind of car but it has done more with less and that earns it the spot.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

The R35 GTR was introduced in 2009... impressive but not produced for the entire decade.

Pagani Zonda? Italians sure can style a car, but it's not remarkable enough to consider for COTD.

Bugatti's Veyron exemplifies the excesses of the the 2000's, so got my vote. It could have just as well been Hummer.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    The R35 GTR was introduced in 2009... impressive but not produced for the entire decade.

Pagani Zonda? Italians sure can style a car, but it's not remarkable enough to consider for COTD.

Bugatti's Veyron exemplifies the excesses of the the 2000's, so got my vote. It could have just as well been Hummer.
    actually introduced october of 2007, on sale early 2008. the other 2 in 2005. so not that much newer, but still not the majority of the decade. i still think the mini is a better fit than any of these.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information