Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ferrari 458 Italia

30 76.92%
  • Nissan 370Z

9 23.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCP Awards 2009: Car of the Year

If price isn't a consideration for "best car" then why should we consider the badge, performance, exhaust note, sensibility, etc.

Basically, if we eliminate value, why consider anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Since the Ferrari is like 10 times more expensive, and no one but me factored in the price... 7 (current) votes for the Nissan = 7 x 10 = 70 votes.

370Z wins car of the year award!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBoost View Post
    If price isn't a consideration for "best car" then why should we consider the badge, performance, exhaust note, sensibility, etc.

Basically, if we eliminate value, why consider anything else?
    Well, let's factor in the price.

I can have the 305bhp Focus RS for 10 grand less than the Nissan.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

A good deal of performance for the price, the Focus is even somewhat practical.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

0-60 in 5.9, while the 370Z does it in 4.9 (4.7 according to some mags).
    0-100 in 14.2, 370Z in 12.0
    Focus FWD, 370Z = RWD.

I didn't search much for lap times, but Top Gear got a better time for the 370Z.

Focus RS = 39,000 euros... not available in the US where a 370Z starts at US 30K or 22k euros!!

Then I searched some more since cars are usually cheaper in the US. 370Z in England costs £26,895 = 30,112.21 euros...

So for the same price in Europe I get to chose between a faster RWD vehicle and a slower FWD vehicle... Let alone the fact that the Focus RS looks like a "hooked up" econobox with extra power, while the cheapest most basic 370Z available is a sports car as it is.

I will grant you that the Focus is at a disadvantage when it comes the layout. But for us here it does basically the same. Both are fast, powerful cars to be enjoyed in twisty mountain roads. As a result I don't care about which is faster than which, but which will give me the biggest thrill. All the reviews I've read about both do say good things, with the Focus' readily available liftoff oversteer compesating for front wheel drive, and also being far more practical than the Nissan. And the Nissan costs almost 43k and the Focus 35k. And there's also the 46k BMW 135i with a great engine a rear wheel drive dynamics.

I'm not trying to argue against the the 370Z, I'm just saying that the value for money argument has to be complemented with geographical arguments, because a broad statement might not be true everywhere.

On the other hand, I still don't know what will the Ferrari cost, but we should look at its rivals price to say if it is good value or not, not only at the list price alone.
    Visca Catalunya!

Maybe the Focus RS and 135i should be on the poll then? Or is there a reason why they are not? Maybe not everyone feels the same as you and actually give the Z a bit more credit. I'll take the 370Z any day over the RS with its "Fast and Furious" look with fake air vents and weird body kits / spoilers. Like I said, "hooked up" Focus.

Practicality? and the Ferrari has any? When did that become part of the equation? The 458 and 370Z are not practical at all... the Focus RS is, but it sacrifices speed and looks to get it.

Many argue about the looks of the 135i, while it is a little monster, most dislike how it looks... me being one of them. I'll take a 335 any day though.

I'm not trying to argue against the the 370Z, I'm just saying that the value for money argument has to be complemented with geographical arguments, because a broad statement might not be true everywhere.
    Such as the Focus RS being 10 grand cheaper? 10 grand cheaper where? In what currency? It's not available in the US, so I'll take your statement as a broad statement.

I don't think the RS or the 135i should be on the poll, but neither do I think the 370Z would be a worthy winner. That doesn't mean I don't like it. I do, it's the classic sportscar, and I like classic and I like sportscars.

That's precisely (one of) the point I've been trying to argue since we started voting for the contenders. Those awards shouldn't be voted based on personal preference, but rather on how worthy the car is. That means, a variety of things, such as value for money, performance, practicality, handling and other measurable statistics, but also how much the car itsels represents an evolution or a leap forward.

The 370Z is a 350Z Mk II, whereas the 458 Italia is a completely new models with lots of new and impressive engineering and technology. And that's why I think it should win out of those two, regardless of wheter I like it or not.
    Visca Catalunya!

If all you wanted to argue was 0-60 for your dollar (very american argument that) then the two best ever (sold in the US, in inflation adjusted dollars) are the Neon SRT-4 and the Cobalt SS Turbo.

But yeah, I agree with ferrer once again.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    If all you wanted to argue was 0-60 for your dollar (very american argument that) then the two best ever (sold in the US, in inflation adjusted dollars) are the Neon SRT-4 and the Cobalt SS Turbo.

But yeah, I agree with ferrer once again.
    It's not the 0-60 time what makes up the car, I know, but I'm sure you'd rather drive a car that does 0-60 in 5s over one that does it in 8s. When the Focus RS was introduced, I just pointed out that it's not as fast... it may have similar hp output, it may weigh the same, it may be cheaper, but it's not as fast and has FWD traction. .. so I figured that needed to be mentioned.

If it makes you feel any better Niko, based on the aformentioned criteria I voted for the Nissan.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

The 458 easily takes the vote for UCP Car of the Year.

Thread Information