Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Vs All Season

Summer Vs All Season

Hey guys, i need some advice here. The G needs some new tires. I live in NYC, Staten Island to be exact where we have crappy roads. The G is a 2003 RWD auto transmission. In the snow with all seasons, it goes but you have to be careful. it likes to skid and drift. The car is never really driven in the snow at all. Very rarely. If it snows here streets are cleaned soon and the Q5 is primarily the winter car. I was thinking well why not put summer tires on the G, they're cheaper, quieter and much better performance. However, do they perform well when its cold, like 20 degrees out. I know the tires warm up after driving but is it safe? I'd prefer summers so i don't have that terrible all season screech. So my question is, all seasons or summers? both will be high performance tires. keep in mind its never driven in snow, if it is, it's rare.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I've driven in about 20 cm (say 8 inches) of snow for a couple of hours with the fwd Croma, 150 bhp, manual, ASR and ESP on all the time, and I didn't have any problem, but I was damn careful and ready to correct the car when he tried to kill me and the three drunk passengers. Those were standard tires (what you are calling summer tires, as we here have these or winter tires), and if I knew it was going to be like that, I wouldn't have pick the car at all.
    So no, don't use summer time during winter (makes sense I suppose).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

What all season does your G comes with? In my case on my father's car(also 2003, first gen with the external trunk release) we've stick with the stock Goodyear RS-A but last year I decided to have him switch the "summer tire" to an actual summer tire(Yokohama S-Drive). The RS-A is POS in anycase but after 5 years it was time to switch anyway. The car always had dedicated snow for the winter(living in Ontario it was a good idea anyway, the snow is Pirelli 210 Snowsport on 16" wheels). The S-Drive is quieter and offers more dry AND wet grip than the RS-A and in winter the Pirelli is much better in the snow and cold....For the G which is known to be a bit of a handful its not a bad idea to have dedicated tires for each season anyhow...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Those were standard tires (what you are calling summer tires, as we here have these or winter tires)
    That's something I've been wondering and was about ask.

Thanks for already answering before asking.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

We got Bridgestone Potenza high performance all seasons (I forgot which one) for the TL, and they've been awesome.

They're quiet and quite grippy. The only issue is tire rotation- they're directional, so you can only rotate them front rear.

The issue is, what happens if it happens to rain all of a sudden? I'm not sure how well summer tires deal with rain.

You're in NY, not Arizona, I'd be more on the careful side. But you know me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's something I've been wondering and was about ask.

Thanks for already answering before asking.
    I forgot to add "I assume" though
    that's doubt of mine as well.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    What all season does your G comes with? In my case on my father's car(also 2003, first gen with the external trunk release) we've stick with the stock Goodyear RS-A but last year I decided to have him switch the "summer tire" to an actual summer tire(Yokohama S-Drive). The RS-A is POS in anycase but after 5 years it was time to switch anyway. The car always had dedicated snow for the winter(living in Ontario it was a good idea anyway, the snow is Pirelli 210 Snowsport on 16" wheels). The S-Drive is quieter and offers more dry AND wet grip than the RS-A and in winter the Pirelli is much better in the snow and cold....For the G which is known to be a bit of a handful its not a bad idea to have dedicated tires for each season anyhow...
    We had RSA's stock but they were all season. currently it has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Ok tire, quiet and rides nice but they screech easy and a lot.

My question is, if there is no snow out, its cold how do summer tires perform?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    We had RSA's stock but they were all season. currently it has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Ok tire, quiet and rides nice but they screech easy and a lot.

My question is, if there is no snow out, its cold how do summer tires perform?
    Probably won't grip properly since it's cold. And it might hydroplane when the snow doesn't clear the grooves well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Probably won't grip properly since it's cold. And it might hydroplane when the snow doesn't clear the grooves well enough.
    If the ground you're driving on is dry it won't be too much of an issue especially involving grip unless you're AutoXing or tracking the car, and in that case you would have track tires. Once rain/snow/ice/mierda come into the picture with summer radials then you'll notice a considerable loss of traction
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Don't worry about rain with summer v winter tyres.

The tread patterns are the same for the same model of tyre.
    It's to do with the COMPOUND and in a few cases the carcas construction.

I guess some of the confusion here comes form the introduction of "street legal" trac and drag tyres.
    These have the legal minimum in tread block/cuts and really are not intended for drivign in the wet nor the cold
    So will be "summer" but shodjl really be labelled "track"

Even comparing different patterns for tyre types intended for cutting through snow depth then it's getting less difference in look as newer compounds do a better job at being "all season".
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 12-01-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

what are all season tires? how are they different?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

In the same tyre the difference between summer and all season/winter is the COMPOUND. SOmetimes the construction of the banding in the carcase of the tyre and then mainly the additional materials added to the rubber to match it's performance to the expected temperature range and road conditions.

An all out "proper" winter tyre -- more commonly known in the UK as "mud and snow" has much more block structure to it and deeper moulding/cuts. This is to allow the blocks to move to adapt to the wet/snow/ice at the point of contact and provide better grip. With the advent of much improved compounds winter tyres often have "feathers" on the block edges to provide additional "bite" into snow/icy conditions.

NOTE, this is NOT including the extremes of tyre type for off road use, that's another case entirely. I've limited this discussion to real mens tyres.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

So Matra, our "normal" tyres are their summer tyres or all season ones? (Or it depends?) I'm confused.
    Visca Catalunya!

I just put on what are called "winter tyres" with a different rubber composition and a different/block structure for snow conditions. It is claimed that at temperatures blow 8 degrees (Celsius of course), they work better than the summer tyres. I need them because the car will be used to go for skiing at least twice early next year. I'll take them off again in March. They are a bit more noisy, and less stable under cornering. Possibly if I would not travel into Europe I would leave on the "summer tyres" the whole year. For extreme cases you always use chains.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Or spiked tyres in Sweden. I still remember when we went there to watch the Swedish Rally and rented a Volvo which had spiked tyres.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information