Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Down on Ferrari's Title Sponsor

Cutting Down on Ferrari's Title Sponsor

Yes, that's right... Tonight I have finished off what I intend will be my last pack of Marbs for the next few months.

Having been what I consider a very light to moderate smoker (2-5 cigarettes a week) for a while I've decided to cut back since I've been using the habit a little too much this past two months.

I would not say that I am an addict (yet), and I originally started out only using once or twice a month at social gatherings for a long time. So it never really was an issue for me; and it would be fair to say that smoking twice a month is no worse than living in a large metro area with a massive pollution problem. That being said I've really taken my habit on a little more aggressively since late February to the point that I now think about the next time I'll light up throughout the day.

I'm thinking it may be some recent stress; which is ironic because I moved in December to get away from some personal stress. Then again, I may just be tricking myself into believing something that really is not wrong... I'll save you the emotional babble.

No gum or patches on this one; just cold turkey as they say. I guess the only reason I'm doing this is to prevent a habit from getting too extreme (too extreme for me, that is). I never get to caught up with the people out there who are so bold to just say, "you know that smoking kills." The social taboo of smoking never bothered me as I believe people should be who they are and do what they want; given their actions have no direct effect on the lives of others.

So there’s my announcement… Contribute what you want.

Well, good luck.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You can muster up enough will power to make it work, John. By the sounds of it, you're not in too deep yet, so now is a good time to pull out. You got a good head on your shoulders, so do the right thing and ditch that filthy habit .

Not doing something takes less physical effort than doing something. Embrace laziness for success!
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Well I'll stand up and be your "person who says SMOKING KILLS"

Oh and ask your non-smoking friends to be HONEST about how you smell.
    "Best of all" ask an ex smoker friend to answer that one.

Good luck with it. It won't be easy, because as strong as the nicotine addiction is the physical comfort - holding somethign, doing something with your lips (!), your hands/fingers etc etc.

You may think you don't smoke enough for a nicotine addiction to be there but that may not be the case for you, so dont' be afraid to consider support.

If you need the motivationa nd you've not done it already then go to local hospital where they do surgery and have wards for smoking related ilnesses - emphesema, heart, lung and artery blockages. The sight of folks with scars on their chests, legs amputated due to reduced blood flow, barely able to walk and talk with breathing difficulties. Usually helps break the desire. THEN for the smokers who say "I'm not addicted" ... go to the smoking area of the hospital and see the number of those same folks will go there to smoke. I've been in that place with a parent

Need MORE "motivation" ? Scan YouTube for anti-smoking ads from the Scottish Health Service. Some dont' pull ANY punches !!

Any time you get the urge, use your fingers to post here on UCP and form an even STRONGER addiction
    But at least Wouter only takes a few dollars a year from your pocket !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

if you've ever done a post mortem on a smoker. never seen so many classmates quit all at once
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

There always hangs a foul smell around a smoker. That should be sufficient reason for everybody to stop.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Good luck to you. I am planning to quit in the next few months after I finish some work exams. Its fully worth it, I quit for a year and felt really good then relapsed while I was out of work for a bit. Get out and excersise it will help you.
    "This car is about as refined as a Glaswegian dock worker after 10 cans of special brew"

My mothers recent 6 month bout of Bronchitis is proof positive smoking is not a good thing. Good luck on the quit.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Good luck, just don't step up some other vice like caffeine or alcohol to take its place.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Good luck, just don't step up some other vice like caffeine or alcohol to take its place.
    "love is a drugggg" too.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

How did you smoke only 2-5 cigs a week? That's not moderate, that's hardly smoking.
    Shouldn't be hard to simply not smoke if that was the extent of your habit, so good luck.

I've tried Chantix, accupuncture, and simple cold turkey. The worst physical addiction short of heroin
    for many people... my replacement therapy is mints or gum. But still not kicked the monkey 100%.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Took third hypno session to finally get my brother stopped.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There is this urban legend of a folk who couldn't just pull the plug on cigarettes.
    So he decided to smoke freely for a whole day. Then he took all those cigarettes, shake them, and had them for dinner.
    He never smoke again.

Then there is a true story (if you dare to trust me) of a lot of people quitting a very tough detoxification community for drug addicts when the heads of the community decided not to provide them with the 10 cigarettes per day allowance.

We're talking about people who were getting out or were already out (ex patients become part of the community's personnel) of cocaine, heroine, ecstasy and the likes.
    Partially it was just an alibi for many of the,, but after you passed say 6 months at least with all sort of crisis without heroin, not smoking shouldn't be an issue, me thinks.

And yes, people who smoke generally stink, a lot. Didn't breathe for 4 floors last time I took the elevator with a friend of mine who smoke (and possibly doesn't brush) often.

So good luck, KFL Racing Enterprises was proudly never sponsored by tobacco's companies, hence we always sponsored you!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Nicely done. I got my father to stop smoking, before I was the age of 10.

I must have had guts.

Enjoy your health!

Thread Information