Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Abu Dhabi GT1 World Championship (April 16 - 17)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    EDIT: I'm a bit confused about the time schedule, the championship race is listed at 16:45, but it should actually start at 16:00, local timing that is. Any idea why?
    Obviously they messed up the time. It's on now.

Eventually it started at 16:45 gmt indeed.

Awesome race, if you ask me. Even if I completely missed the first race, it seems the new format is a good thing for the category.
    I noticed that many cars managed to improve quite a lot their position during the race, probably of combination of other drivers' problems, good strategy (ie good timing during the pit stop) and experience.

You don't see that happening in F1 if it isn't raining or there has been a major crash involving half of the cars.

Well done.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Very entertaining to say the least. With the diverse skill level of competing drivers and the brand new teams I'd say this season has the potential to keep interest. One hour races still seem short, but fitting in two races and offering more points in the second race adds excitement.

I like the idea* of offering significantly more points in the second race; keeps the incentive to make sure the car lasts the whole way through.
    Last edited by LTSmash; 04-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Eventually it started at 16:45 gmt indeed.

Awesome race, if you ask me. Even if I completely missed the first race, it seems the new format is a good thing for the category.
    I noticed that many cars managed to improve quite a lot their position during the race, probably of combination of other drivers' problems, good strategy (ie good timing during the pit stop) and experience.

You don't see that happening in F1 if it isn't raining or there has been a major crash involving half of the cars.

Well done.
    That isn't entirely fair. At the beginning of both races there were a good number of "racing incidents." Very nice racing, though.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Just watched the race - fabulous to have it available on their website after it's over.

Great driving from Zuber and Grosjean, and overall rather entertaining. GT1 may die, but at least we can enjoy this championship while it lasts.

I was positively surprised by the first race, and the fact that it's streamed live on their own site with good quality definitely gets me to watch the rest of the races too. Especially as practically no motorsports is nowadays aired on free channels here.

Other than the stream though, they really should get someone to take better care of their website. It looks nice, but it shouldn't take much effort to improve the schedules and get those photo galleries to work.

Grosjean's performance was another nice surprise after his not-so-impressive visit to the F1's and level of experience with GT's.
    Last edited by twinspark; 04-18-2010 at 03:31 AM. Reason: changed 'all' + 'non-free' to a more precise 'no' + 'free'

Those small race accidents at the beginning are just common racing in GT .

About Grosjean, I think he took a bit advantage knowing this track because of last year's F1 race.
    I remember lats year in Paul Ricard, Bernoldi was extremely faster than the opposition, of about 1 seconds (even compared to his car-mate), mainly becuause of the tons of miles he had on that track because of previous years' F1 testing.

Let's see what the French can do in the following races.

A bit disappointed by the Nissan, though, while I was expecting a more embarrassing appearance from the Lambos.

Maybe this thread could be renamed 2010 GT1 World Championship and could serve for the year's events.

Anyone catch any of the races from last weekend? I just watched the championship race. Good action - pretty damn entertaining I gotta say.

same here, watched only the champ race, a pretty good one.
    It's a bit early to say if the new balance of performance is better or what, but so far it seems like everyone can win a race, except for Maserati probably. They are the only automaker to be often in the top 10 positions, but the MC12 seems too slow to compete for better spots atm.

The FIA penalized individual cars according to Wikipedia - Mutsch's/Grosjean's GT got 40 kg of ballast. 40 kg! [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_RAC_Tourist_Trophy"]See here[/ame].

It appears from point of view that the Phoenix (particularity #13 which Zuber was so quick during the first stint in the round 1 championship race) racing cars and that heavy GT are may have too much success ballast to carry at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The FIA penalized individual cars according to Wikipedia - Mutsch's/Grosjean's GT got 40 kg of ballast. 40 kg! See here.

It appears from point of view that the Phoenix (particularity #13 which Zuber was so quick during the first stint in the round 1 championship race) racing cars and that heavy GT are may have too much success ballast to carry at this point.
    I was referring to the new balance after that Nissan threatened to withdrew their cars because according to them they received too much ballast in the pre-season balance of performance test at Paul Ricard.
    Now the Maserati has a bit more power but more weight, the Aston should have received weight as well, and so on.
    What you are talking about is the usual ballast added after each good race, with a limit of 60 kg per car iirc.

I think the GT performed badly this weekend for a few reasons. Matech, which appears to be stronger the VDS, had to replace one of the drivers because of the accident in Abu Dhabi, while the other car I think was so good in the first event only because Grosjean was the only driver to know the circuit so well.
    The Phoenix Corvettes on the other hand showed a lot of reliability problems in the first event with 3 engine replacements, so perhaps there was something wrong this time too.

I also believe the first race's result were a bit random, with many new teams and drivers, new rules, new track, so it was perhaps something more about luck rather than pure performance.

I was very surprised with the performance of the GTR's. Seems as though they could be the dark horse this year.

Also, just out of curiosity do the Europeans across the board refer to the Ford's as GT40's instead of just GT? The commentators have only mentioned it as a GT40, which was an older chassis from the 60's.

BTW: check out the GT3 European Championship races too at Official Site of FIA GT3 Championship. They are just as exciting too.

Possibly GT3 is even better, and there are a lot more cars at some rounds.

We (I) refer to the Ford GT as the GT, GT40 is probably a mistake, or a lot of nostalgia. I prefer last year commentators.

You're not going to see something like this in F1 (chicks on the grid with tiny dresses are present in GT racing as well):

Attached Images Attached Images

It was an interesting race at Brno. Excellent recovery from the Young Driver AMR but that stop/go for the Maserati seemed a little off. The stewards made the call late and should have just made them go around another lap. Perhaps Nissan is sending endorsements to the FIA because that's two races in a row.

Thread Information