Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This forum is dying

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I remember when I first joined this site, (no one wants to remember that), I downright admit that I was a jerk and a troll when it came to certain companies , or things, such as Toyota and Honda. UCP was my first forum where I could talk with many other car enthusiasts about something that we all love and, thats cars. And, it's a place where we get to actually know each other a bit despite being another continent, province, state, what ever it may be, away from each other. I find that we point out each other's faults and people on here seem very willing to change and forgive what they've done. UCP seems like such a nice automotive neighborhood and I was surprised at such of the vast amounts of knowledge that came from some of you guys! But, to be quite honest, I felt a little out of place becuase I'm the only woman it seems, who regularly visit this place. However, you guys made me feel welcome and warmed up to me (I guess) after my unacceptable behaviour which I openly apologized about. Personally though, it's a shame that more women aren't on here becuase I'm sure that they have vast amounts of knowledge like you guys do! I honestly don't know why that more women aren't on here but I guess it doesn't matter?
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

I have to agree with those who say UCP is not dying; maybe a little sick, but a few weeks or even months here and there do not signify an on coming death. Maybe a decrease in size, post wise and members wise but that happens.

The sort of community that I see here isn't the sort that appears on every forum and that is why I stay. This may just be a mix or rephrasing of other's posts, but I feel it might be worth emphasizing again.

At once I come here looking for the hilarious stuff Matra posts, whatever madness the Australian crew is up to at the time, and the pranks of whoever else comes by. At the same time, I don't need to go to another site for some of the best information or pictures of cars I can think of, or find another forum to get the history and specifications of some obscenely obscure automobile. It isn't one thing or the other that kept me on this site for as long as I have been around (even if the past few months I have only been lurking quietly ).

It is the duality of the information available on such a variety of topics, and the international camaraderie. I have joined a few other forums since I became a more regular member here, and they are ALL lacking a cohesive mix of the two that I find here. Either they are too serious to the point where only excessively-opinionated fanatics of the forum's main topic are members, or there are five members who are actually worth something and a veritable army of immature, spastic ADHD trolls.

On other news, I have basically been dead to the world this past semester due to classes, and a few events that have made me realize humanity is completely insane. Finals are in a few weeks, so hopefully these doomsday predictions can wait until I have more time to protest them
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I have to agree with those who say UCP is not dying;
    Thanks for this and may be just for the record, Ultimatecarpage.com (which is the main page) is not dying at all, it is just that the forum is getting somewhat less quantitative attention, but as Matra said, I think this is a forum where quality should be preferred over quantity. One should also realise that over the period of the existence of the forum many subjects have been dealt with extensively and at a certain saturation point there is little to be added. I think the forum has reached an equilibrium stage, from which the "one liner" or even one word fools have largely disappeared, and a in general level of maturity has been reached that is difficult to find elsewhere.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Also Pieter, UCP forum is a victim of it's own best values.

We don't age out or delete old stuff unlike some forums.
    So there is no need to "repeat" post of old stuff making it look liek "new!.

Does mean there is so much "back there" for folks to read and not need to post asking new questions, inquiries to get answers or have "fun".

eg
    the navigation thread.
    the what badge competition ( actually Iv'e foudn a few more since way back then so I may add a couple soon )
    and others in similar veins

EDIT: hmmm, does raise whether we do need a "old threads of value" thread so new members can browse what is thought to be some of the gems of the forum ? Hard for new folsk to know what to search for to find the good bits

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ighlight=badge
    the rally one's been screwed by forum re-structure and ended up named in "trivia and quizzes". So no longer in it's own area. Shame as the 5 threads dont' work seperately. See 4 of them are sticky. ah well, maybe our "history" isn't a bonus
    Only way to find the rally stages now is ...http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/trivia-quizzes/ and search for "stage"
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-05-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Bump. I poke in rarely so I'm a part of the problem but I'd hate to see these forums wither away.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Bump. I poke in rarely so I'm a part of the problem but I'd hate to see these forums wither away.
    as Matra said, what is posted these days is generally of ADDED value, and the more we have here, the more the law of the diminishing returns will become relevant.

Edit: You may have noticed that pictures of the Kia Magentis have been added recently....
    Last edited by henk4; 10-01-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    As the title says, the forum is slowly deteriorating and will eventually die. I stopped posting and checking in as often because it's become a bit.. well, boring.

What are we going to do about it?
    I hope that my presence will help to offset this "decline." I initially found this forum via a search engine, and I've spent the past few days reading one "flame-fest" after another from one particular poster over the years; and it was from there I was "hooked" and decided to join.

Unlike so many others, I am not so partial to a particular car, make, model or vintage. I guess I learned it from my step-dad, of whom has owned '32-36-'39 Fords, 1962 Porsche 356, '86 Porsche 928, '64 and '69 Buick Rivieras, '69 L-88 Vette, 1972 Chevy Suburban "carry-all", and various models of Mercedes ('81, '83, 87), etc.

As for me I've owned "classics" such as a '69 VW bug, two 1970 Cougars (351C, 4V, auto trans), two '81 Mercedes 280 SEs .... My tastes are broad, but if I had to choose vintage or modern cars, I'd only own classic cars simply for aesthetic/emotional reasons. Import or American, as long as the car is nice then that is all that matters!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-11-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

Welcome! Nice to have you here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Welcome! Nice to have you here!
    Kitdy, admittedly the inital reason I joined this site was because I enjoyed objective minded people like you. A few days ago I came across site member "harddrivin1le" and "Fleet 500" in the "Actual Horsepower Muscle Car" thread...Regardless of who had alledged references, collegiate degrees, assorted "proofs", etc, at least you stood up for Fleet. For that I commend your action and innate sense of altruism and honor.

Wanna see Harddriving1le get "one-upped" by more experienced, in the-field, auto professionals and doctorates in mechanical engineering? Then you must visit this thread on another site:

air filter hype - Page 5 - AcuraZine Community

(Moderators, I would have sent this particular message in private but I am new and have not yet been granted private messaging abilities as of yet....Nonetheless, "you-know-who" has one long, long history of picking fights and being banned all over the 'net. I'm not fond of picking fights by nature. I like to take the high road as my management experience taught me.)
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

welcome nortex,
    we did have our period with Harddrivin...and your example seems to indicate the he has led a life of fighting on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by NorTex View Post
    Kitdy, admittedly the inital reason I joined this site was because I enjoyed objective minded people like you. A few days ago I came across site member "harddrivin1le" and "Fleet 500" in the "Actual Horsepower Muscle Car" thread...Regardless of who had alledged references, collegiate degrees, assorted "proofs", etc, at least you stood up for Fleet. For that I commend your action and innate sense of altruism and honor.
    Ah, yes, those were the days. That was back in 2007 or 2008 I think.

It seems you have me at a disadvantage! You have read my posts and know a bit about me, and me nothing about you! Hah.

I think a few years ago I reread some of those battles. Very intense. When Fleet is around things often get heated as well, heh.

I still remember the discussion between nota, Fleet and me regarding Cadillac and the Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3.

Classic.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Ah, yes, those were the days. That was back in 2007 or 2008 I think.

It seems you have me at a disadvantage! You have read my posts and know a bit about me, and me nothing about you! Hah.

I think a few years ago I reread some of those battles. Very intense. When Fleet is around things often get heated as well, heh.
    As for me I've lived in Texas most of my life, with stops in Phoenix, Torrance, California; and Wasilla and Healy, Alaska. One thing I've missed about California and Phoenix is the abundance of classic cars driven on the streets!

For the past ten years I've drifted away from my passion of classic cars and became more and more involved in survivalism, hunting, fishing and log homes. In a way I prefer the simple life, living out in the country; yet I find myself longing for my own youth and wanting to own another classic. It is hard to pass up good memories. Boards such as this one keep such memories alive -- and I'm thankful for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I still remember the discussion between nota, Fleet and me regarding Cadillac and the Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3.

Classic.
    LOL....I remember that thread! Fleet owns one beautiful '69 Cadillac - that is for sure! My step-dad's current Mercedes (either '86 or '87 560SEL) puts out some decent power and I miss driving it on occasion. Talk about pure luxury. However, I'd rather own the '69 Cad as one can actually afford to work on it!

Nice to meet ya, Ferrer. :-)

By the way, I plan on exploding the myth surrounding VW Bug's "under-rated" 1500cc engine soon. It will be tongue in cheek, to show that primary and secondary sources are often wrong when compared to one another. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Looking forward to discussions.

Welcome.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information