Thread: Mosport celebrates 50 years

Mosport celebrates 50 years

Mosport will be celebrating 50 years as one of Canada's oldest tracks. Playing host to Formula 1 in the 60's, Can-Am, American Lemans, Canadian Formula Ford and Formula 1200, GT Sprints, Canadian Touring car and many more. Even the top running Formula 1200 guys are hitting 225kph down the Mosport back straight-away.

Here is some history on the track:
    The circuit was the second purpose-built road race course in Canada after Westwood Motorsport Park in Coquitlam, British Columbia[1], succeeding Edenvale, Green Acres, and Harewood Acres, all airport circuits, as Ontario racing venues. It was designed and built in the late 1950s, and held its first major race in 1961, the Player's 200, a sports car race bringing drivers from the world over to rural Ontario. Stirling Moss won the event in a Lotus 19. The proposed hairpin was expanded into two discrete corners, to be of greater challenge to the drivers and more interesting for the spectators, at his suggestion, and is named Moss Corner in his honour. This is a source of lingering confusion as many people call the track Mossport.

Mosport has had a succession of owners since the original public company created to build the track. Two of those prior owners, Norm Namerow (who owned the track through his publishing company, CanTrack, until his death) and Harvey Hudes, have both been inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame for their contribution to the sport in Canada. In 1998, the Panoz Motor Sports Group purchased the facility, and in 1999, the newly formed American Le Mans Series visited Mosport for the first time. For 2001, the entire circuit was repaved to meet FIA specifications, and is now 42 feet (12.8 m) wide. Drivers were consulted to ensure the character of the "old" track was kept; almost all the "racing lines" have been maintained.

Mosport achieved acclaim though a series of international sports car races under the title "Canadian Grand Prix" normally reserved for Formula 1 races. Many events were wildly popular, breaking Canadian sports attendance records with each successive race. The success of these races led Mosport to be seen as a key component in the founding of the Can Am Series. The CanAm first visited the track in its inaugural season in 1966, and Mosport hosted at least one event in every year of the series' history, except 1968. In 1967, Canada's centennial year, Mosport hosted Formula One, USAC, and a 500cc Motorcycle Grand Prix. F1's Grand Prix of Canada remained at the track until 1977. Mosport has hosted a wide variety of series throughout its history. The circuit has held Formula One, USAC, World Sportscar Championship, Can-Am, Formula 5000, and many other sports car, open-wheel, and motorcycle series.

Mosport has had several fatalities, both track crew, drivers, and riders, the most recognized being German Manfred Winkelhock who was killed in 1985 when his Porsche 962C crashed into a concrete wall. [2] The most recent fatality at the track was in 2008 during the 29th annual Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada Racing Festival. Driver Dino Crescentini of Rochester Hills, MI - a ten-year veteran of vintage racing - lost control of his 1977 Wolf Dallara Can-Am car, which was previously driven by the late Gilles Villeneuve.

Unlike many historic motorsport venues, Mosport's track layout has remained mostly unchanged from its original form.

The track record was taken by Dindo Capello, in an Audi R10 TDI, in the ALMS race of 2008, with a time of 1:04.094, averaging 138.12 mph (222.28 km/h).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkOZ8ol9kgI]YouTube - ALMS onboard camera at Mosport 2009[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4hm6TBV_k]YouTube - 2009 Formula 1200 Round 5 Race 3 Highlights[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPO7V7F5dpU]YouTube - Matthew Inge at Mosport F2000[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP669q7dFus]YouTube - Ontario Formula Ford June 13, 2009 Mosport Race Highlights[/ame]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kylekosir; 05-04-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks for this, well written. It might actually be an idea to develop this topic a little bit further into a "history of tracks" subject. Perhaps we should open a special thread for this.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Thanks for this, well written. It might actually be an idea to develop this topic a little bit further into a "history of tracks" subject. Perhaps we should open a special thread for this.
    I'd vote for that too.

I think it coudl be a good topic for members who live near tracks as they will m ost liekly find us more information by visiting than we can by googling AND get them more into motorsport -- my purpose in life

Might be nice touch too if we expand it with memories ?
    Graham Hill pushing after a spin ????

or jsut older footage ??
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4x29XpIg0E&feature=related[/ame]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-04-2010 at 03:06 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I have raced here many times. Both Long track, and Karting track next to it. Its very fast and very scary in the wet. Its wierd tho looking at old photos of the cars back in the day when there wasn't any barriers or walls. What else would you like to know about mosport. ill be racing there this weekend.
    Should I also post record laptimes of diffrent series that has raced there?
    kyle

Quote Originally Posted by kylekosir View Post
    I have raced here many times. Both Long track, and Karting track next to it. Its very fast and very scary in the wet. Its wierd tho looking at old photos of the cars back in the day when there wasn't any barriers or walls. What else would you like to know about mosport. ill be racing there this weekend.
    Should I also post record laptimes of diffrent series that has raced there?
    kyle
    Lap times would be nice, some shots from the different classes also.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Lap times would be nice, some shots from the different classes also.
    If I have time ill take some pictures of diffrent classes. I belive GT Sprints, Touring car, Formula Ford and Vintage are there as well as myself and the F1200 series.

If I have time ill take some pictures of diffrent classes. I belive GT Sprints, Touring car, Formula Ford and Vintage are there as well as myself and the F1200 series.
    who will take the shots of you?

ahaha all the Media Actually there are some websites you can check out, ill link to. There Hi Def photos. Wierd its going to be my last year in Formula 1200

ahaha all the Media Actually there are some websites you can check out, ill link to. There Hi Def photos. Wierd its going to be my last year in Formula 1200
    what's up next then?

what's up next then?
    Switching to the Canadian Rally Championship. I have done some Ice racing to get myself ready. Other then that its a whole new goal. Formula 1 is way out of my reach now. So I thought id try a whole diffrent approach on Canadian Rallying.

Switching to the Canadian Rally Championship. I have done some Ice racing to get myself ready. Other then that its a whole new goal. Formula 1 is way out of my reach now. So I thought id try a whole diffrent approach on Canadian Rallying.
    Interesting, any car in particular? As of 2011 the current WRC cars will be obsolete, so there could be some nice options in the market.

Well, the rules are very strict. The car must be produced in North America. So any car produced outside is banned from racing. Its unfortunate, because we don't have the quality like europe.
    I was looking at a 2004 Subaru STI, Eight Generation Lancer, VW R32

Well, the rules are very strict. The car must be produced in North America. So any car produced outside is banned from racing. Its unfortunate, because we don't have the quality like europe.
    I was looking at a 2004 Subaru STI, Eight Generation Lancer, VW R32
    very strange, and tbh I was not even aware that EVOs were produced outside Japan, (apart from the specially prepared ones in the UK). With this rule in force it becomes more like vintage rallying

I've been to Mosport 3 times now and each time has been a great experience. I'm looking to go at least twice this year. The fans are excellent and very knowledgeable. The atmosphere is great. The track is great - walking the path up to Moss corner and seeing the rapid change in elevation and hearing the Vettes and their wondrous OHV V8s... Fantastic. The atmosphere is so much different than an F1 race - an F1 race is so clinical and you feel so distant from the action, cars, and drivers. I've walked down the pits at Mosport and seen an RSR pass right beside me, seen Audi mechanics working on their car, and drivers everywhere signing autographs.

If you get a chance to visit a "smaller" track like this and catch some racing, I highly recommend it.

Has anyone around here been to Mosport? Any non-Canadians? Matra, maybe you?

I'd second a circuit discussion thread or section, too.

Good thing that those cars make such limited power, as all one has to do is look at the lap record that Dindo Capello layed down in '08 with that Audi R10. 138+mph around a track that's barely more than 2.5 miles that has only one straightaway makes one wonder what a Peugeot 908 or an Audi R15 in high downforce trim could do, or an older Group C or IMSA GTP car with modern tires and technology could do.

But then again, Mosport is popular with drivers because it's fast and aside from Don Panoz widening the track after the 2000 race, Mosport is in its same basic configuration as when it was built, among the very few circuits in the world to be able to claim that.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Thread Information